Looking for Programmer for code assistance

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Supa
Projects: Motherly Love, Go To Hell
Deviantart: supalexi
Discord: Supalexi#9952

Looking for Programmer for code assistance

#1 Post by Supa »

I am very new to the Ren'Py scene and new to general programming. While I'm trying to work entirely on my own with my dating sim, some coding hiccups occured that I don't know how to fix.

I want to try and implement a character creator portion to my game in which the final creation becomes the portrait art for the player character that appears next to their text. I managed to find a tutorial in the cookbook but I've run into coding issues that haven't seem to be resolved yet. The thread can be found here. It should include everything that I described that I want to accomplish for my game.

I have the opening scene before the character creation portion put into the script ready for tweaking once I add the appropriate assets, and I have placeholder assets for the images I plan to incorporate into the character creator all ready for testing the code if need be.

Please get in touch if you can help, I would very much appreciate it!

Link fixed - Taleweaver

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Looking for Programmer for code assistance

#2 Post by Scribbles »

Your link does not work for me...

It's actually fairly simple to do if you brush up on Condition Switch code and Dynamic Displayables:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displaya ... tionSwitch

basically break all the images up into separate parts, layer them, and allow the user to adjust the variable with a text/imagebutton -- then define the images as a LiveComposite with Condition Switches. the site even has an example of the code, but here is a bit of code I used to help.

Code: Select all

image you = LiveComposite((345, 648), ##these numbers are the size of your sprite
                                        (0, 0), ConditionSwitch(
                                            "protagskin == 0", "protagskin0.png", ## if protagskin == 0 then use image "protagskin0.png"
                                            "protagskin == 1", "protagskin1.png",
                                            "protagskin == 2", "protagskin2.png",
                                            ),
                                        (0, 0), ConditionSwitch(
                                            "protaghair == 0", "protaghair0.png",
                                            "protaghair == 1", "protaghair1.png",
                                            "protaghair == 2", "protaghair2.png",

),
                                        )
you can do this with clothing/hair/ and so on. you just need to design a screen and then use text or image button actions to adjust the variable:

Code: Select all

textbutton "Hair Color ->" action SetVariable("protaghair", (protaghair+1)%3) ##three is the number of possible options
textbutton "<- Hair Color" action SetVariable("protaghair", (protaghair-1)%3)
there are a ton of ways to do this though, but hopefully that will atleast point you in the right direction. (sorry if I told you nothing new -- the link would not open anything for me it just went to an error page)
Image - Image -Image