Soulless Creatures - [No more help required]

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
frylander
Regular

Soulless Creatures - [No more help required]

#1 Post by frylander »

Soulless Creatures is a kinetic novel being developed entirely by me at the time. Here is some information about the project for a start.

-----------Genres-----------

Fantasy, Vampires, Monster Girl, Romance, Horror, Mystery.

-----------Sinopsis-----------

Set somewhere in England during the victorian era, Soulless creatures tells the dark story of a vampire named Lisa and a vampire hunter named Drake. After some tragic event between the two occurs in their childhood, the friends separate and Drake swears revenge on Lisa. Years later the moment comes when they reunite and Drake tries to fulfill his revenge, but not everything goes as he expected as he instead finds himself forced to stick around her for the time being.

-----------Content Warning-----------

This game/script contains swearing language, explicit descriptions of blood and gore, cruelty, and dark themes such as suicidal thoughts and death.
Last edited by frylander on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BlackEcho4460
Regular
Projects: Cynthia, Love + Friends, [REDACTED]

Re: Soulless Creatures - Looking for Proofreaders/Other Optional Volunteers

#2 Post by BlackEcho4460 »

I would like to volunteer as both a proofreader and a voice actor. Though I don't have the best mic in the world, it is still good quality, and I can do a range of voices for you. Plus I am fluent in English (it is my native language, after all).
If you'd like my help, please email me at ourdarkestfantasies@gmail.com

frylander
Regular

#3 Post by frylander »

BlackEcho4460 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 am I would like to volunteer as both a proofreader and a voice actor. Though I don't have the best mic in the world, it is still good quality, and I can do a range of voices for you. Plus I am fluent in English (it is my native language, after all).
If you'd like my help, please email me at ourdarkestfantasies@gmail.com
Hi, thank you for your interest on the project.

I've sent you an email with the link to the google drive folder and instructions for the voice acting request.

The chapters even if finished are a bit rough since I didn't have time yet to read through all of them, so the structure of some sentences if not most will be a bit awkward, and some characters which development I changed a bit midway through the story still need tweaking on the first chapters for them to make more sense, but other than that it should be enough to understand the story and correct any flaws that there might be with my writing.

I wish you like the project, working with me (even if it's just to give me feedback) and I hope to hear from you soon.

theforgot3n1
Github: TheForgot3n1

#4 Post by theforgot3n1 »

Hi there Frylander! I wouldn't mind helping out on the proofreading front.

My experience is entirely non-professional, with a light English course under the belt. I've got a 50000 work-in-progress novel that most of my writing energy goes into, other than that I have a couple of shorter stories written (they're quite old, though).

Hit me up here, or send an email to gerdano_jetmotor@hotmail.com.
"I don't mind losing to someone, but I won't be beaten by myself." - Emiya Shirou

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#5 Post by Mammon »

Hello, I would like to volunteer as a proofreader. I've got some experience doing so and a general feedback on my feedback that I work fast and am critical but fair. Hopefully my feedback, aside from grammar corrections and such, will be the straightforward and scrutinising opinion you'll need to know where improvement is needed as opposed to just hearing it's good or not without much to go on regarding what to improve still.

Also, if I may offer some advice, your OP should be a lot shorter and less detailed if you want to get artists to apply. I know this may sound paradoxal but the more detailed and clear about the things you're expecting and the system you'll be using, the less eager people will be to join. Being well-prepared is easier seen as being overdemanding. Plus your writing style can come off as very demanding and strict, spookily similar to mine. And believe me that I know how that can result in zero applications, I've fell for the same pitfall recruiting for last year's NaNoRenO before significantly shortening my recruitment post. People are either going to see that one sentence in there that suggests a tough and unrewarding experience and refrain from joining on that alone, or they might not even bother reading through the entire post. (the latter, mostly, short posts feel like posting and long posts feel like homework.)

Maybe even easier as a suggestion; make different threads for each job. Right now the 'other volunteers' is going to make a lot of artists and composers not click on your headline because it doesn't include their job in it. Other than that, I'd suggest scrapping the whole 'workflow' parts from your post, that can easily scare people away instead of reassuring them. And scrap everything from 'how to apply...', because anyone who read this far can only be demotivated to apply. Either they find something in there they don't like, or they never bothered to read that far to begin with. So once again it may sound paradoxal but making your recruitment shorter and more globally better than being detailed and outlining everything.

One more thing:
I will expect weekly updates for the project unless there are good reasons for you to not do it, but for instance if a sprite artist updates its content with only a sprite a week, it will take the project years to finish. Of course I will hold in consideration the quality of the content, if you take a week for a sprite but it's very high quality, I won't be picky about it, just bear in mind that I will require you to do constant updates on the content, or I might get someone else who can do this.
Weekly updates is a good idea, but expecting an artist who's working for free to make a sprite a week is not. Especially considering you already mentioned several additions and poses, that it probably also applies to the CGs and that they'll be doing it for free without profit prospects once the project is out, that's not a reasonable expectation. It might take years, but then again a project usually does. There's currently a topic active around here with multiple people attesting to that. But mentioning you'll be expecting them to produce that, and considering most working for free artists do so in their spare time as a hobby, it's unlikely you can find anyone who can actually produce at such a pace willing to work for you.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

frylander
Regular

#6 Post by frylander »

Hi Mommon, I already sent you a link to the chapters through PM here.

About feedback on the post, I agree with you in many things. For instance shorter, different posts for each job would be better, I didn't want to do it as to not flood the recruitment forum but if that's not a problem, then I will surely do it. I will also make them shorter and more concise.

As for the weekly updates and being too demanding, I will just say that it was partly on purpose.

To give a brief explanation, the whole reason why all those jobs are "optional", it's because it is my way of saying "if you are not willing to work as hard as me on this project, I'd rather do it myself."

Ultimately what I really need and want are proofreaders and betareaders, which should make the story better to the point of being good hopefully. Once I have clear that the story is good, defined, polished and all, I can get with the rest.

If someone by any chance is willing to work hard on the project, they are very much welcome, if someone is scared by how demanding I am, then that person probably shouldn't work with me. Not to sound harsh, it's just the way I see things and I understand that most likely no one will apply for them, but that's okay.

I already got someone who once disappeared from a project I wrote, so I want to make things clear from the beginning so there are no surprises.

My initial idea was to make all that myself anyways, I just posted them as optional jobs in case anyone is crazy enough to work with me. But I'm pretty aware that it's very unlikely.

I spent like 6-8 hours a day for two weeks doing the script, and once June arrives and I have time again I will do the same with the sprites and all the art, unless someone applies for the job first which again is unlikely.

Life is short and I'm just not willing to spend more than a year on the same project since I have more ideas and things I want to do. As long as I get proofreaders and betareaders to make sure my story is well written and is interesting, then I'm more than happy.

Later I will change this post to leave only the proofreader parts and I'm not even sure if I will post the other job applications really, I wouldn't want to flood the forums and considering most likely no one will apply anyways, I might just delete those volunteer spots altogether and do the art myself like I had planned initially.

That could be a nice oportunity for me to improve my art skills too, which is also one of the reasons why I had planned to do it myself.

Thanks for your honest feedback, deeply appreciated and I hope I didn't sound like a dickhead or anything like that!

frylander
Regular

Re: Soulless Creatures - Looking for Proofreaders/Betareaders

#7 Post by frylander »

There has been a change in the workflow. If any of you find that you can't make suggestions in the chapters, that's normal. Instead of that, download/copy the chapter that you wish to proofread and work on that separate file. After you make all of your suggestions, you can send it back to me so I can compare it to the original.

Also consider making non-intrusive suggestions, which means suggestions that don't change directly my original writing, that way it's easier for me to compare and decide what to keep and what not.

This is also so everyone willing to proofread knows what to do, I will update it in the main post.

Thanks again for your time and help, very much appreciated!