Proposal Project

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Artroscotch

Proposal Project

#1 Post by Artroscotch »

So I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend with a custom visual novel and I was looking for someone who could help make some characters for me? The ones I'm really worried about are myself and my girlfriend, obviously. I'd originally wanted to put together an escape room, since we're really into them, but I've started getting her into gaming and I thought this could be a cute mix. A visual novel escape room proposal sounded pretty good haha.

Anyway.. I don't have anything to give and I don't expect anyone to really reply, but if anyone has ideas or anything I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.

Gaudeamus
Regular
Deviantart: Gaudeamusmx

Re: Proposal Project

#2 Post by Gaudeamus »

I did not understand anything ha ha ha

but you can look for some free assets or even some visual novels and having armed something and after start recruiting more people for your project, many people are done the same here.

I still try build a demo of 10 minute and even i draw decent I can go on with it and it's been 2 years :twisted: . . . . .
At least you have a girlfriend and I only have a cat :lol:

nullinsky
Organization: Nyan Studios

#3 Post by nullinsky »

Wow, kinda self-centered reason to make a VN. But whatever :lol:

If you're already proposing, you should at least have a few bucks to spare for hiring an artist. I guess not too many would be too inclined to help for free, since we're too busy being jealous since we only have 2D waifus. :roll:

I wish you the best of luck in your proposal though. :)

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#4 Post by verysunshine »

This project sounds interesting, but if you don't say what art you want, most people won't be interested. Even something like "1 sprite, 4 backgrounds, one CG of a wedding ring" helps.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Artroscotch

#5 Post by Artroscotch »

Well rings are pretty expensive, and I could offer next to nothing in money. If you look at engagement rings, we're talking thousands for a ring. Pretty much all my paychecks are going towards bills and that so I don't have anything extra to spend.

And I don't think it's self-centered at all. I'm doing something to make a proposal something special that she can keep forever. Have her play it live on twitch so family/friends can watch. I don't think any reason of making a game is selfish.

thank you, verysunshine, for that! I'd thought I'd said it but I guess I didn't! I was just looking for 2 sprites with like, 4 expressions each. I can find NPCs via free assets but for the characters that will be me and her, I wanted to be more customized to look a bit like us.

nullinsky

#6 Post by nullinsky »

Think about it in terms of the artist, what's in it for them? They're working for free after all. There's a good thread around here about good suggestions for recruitment: [viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14462]

Just credits in the game might be unrewarding since you have a projected audience of just family and friends. It would be nice if the artist was invited to the wedding at least, lol. :lol:

The better option is to just find an artist friend of yours, and have them help. Or just draw the sprites yourself - a personalized touch would be great regardless of how bad you are at art, especially for an important proposal like this.

Still good luck, someone might be interested in helping out if you expand your theme and story a bit more on your first post.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

nullinsky wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 am Think about it in terms of the artist, what's in it for them? They're working for free after all.
A damn good story, at the very least? Not everything has to be done for money. I know none of you out there in internetland has any plans to get old, but getting old is way better when you have awesome stories to tell. And this has a large potential for that.

I wish I could draw - I can't - since this would be worth a few hours work because it's awesome.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#8 Post by Godline »

nullinsky wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:06 am Wow, kinda self-centered reason to make a VN. But whatever :lol:
That's really rude of you.

nullinsky

#9 Post by nullinsky »

Godline wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 am
nullinsky wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:06 am Wow, kinda self-centered reason to make a VN. But whatever :lol:
Well excuse me, sorry if I came a bit strong. :)

Just thinking about the side of the artist who'll be investing the time and effort. Since the scope of the proposed VN does seem extremely personal-focused for lack of a better term. I mean, thoughts like "is it even going to be released for the public?", "What types of distribution and media are we covering?" , "How much exposure do the people who worked on it get?", etc. come to mind.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#10 Post by verysunshine »

nullinsky wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:29 am
Godline wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 am
Well excuse me, sorry if I came a bit strong. :)

Just thinking about the side of the artist who'll be investing the time and effort. Since the scope of the proposed VN does seem extremely personal-focused for lack of a better term. I mean, thoughts like "is it even going to be released for the public?", "What types of distribution and media are we covering?" , "How much exposure do the people who worked on it get?", etc. come to mind.
It does seem like more of a personal project, but I think there might be a contingent of people who would play it just for the fact it was used to propose to someone.

Maybe it's less for exposure and more something to put on a portfolio if you're starting out.

"I was just looking for 2 sprites with like, 4 expressions each." is fairly simple from what I know. If she's streaming it on twitch (does she stream normally?), then it could probably be distributed sometime after everything goes down.

I'd suggest writing the VN in its entirety first, maybe using placeholder art or downloaded sprites if the standard displayable bother you. Then you know exactly what you need.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!