Erotic Short Stories to VN: Everything Needed

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Markwell

Erotic Short Stories to VN: Everything Needed

#1 Post by Markwell »

Hello!

This is probably a mistake! I'm a forty-something father and sometime writer of erotic short stories who would like to experiment with creating visual novels. I mention "forty-something" and "father" to emphasize the fact that I do not at all know what I am doing (with respect and apologies to those forty-something fathers who know exactly what they're doing -- you guys rock). My intention is to first try to turn one or more of my existing short stories into visual novels with an eye towards creating more original content, and maybe eventually someday a larger project (like a dating sim).

And I need help.

What kind of help? That's a good question! I don't know enough yet to know the help I'll need... But I think it starts with examining one of my existing short stories for "feasibility," to determine exactly what's required in terms of art, music and programming, and also to convert the story into a suitable script for a visual novel. I have virtually no experience with any of that, and so I would like to find:

* Someone experienced with creating/producing visual novels who would be willing to read my short story (~6500 words) and help me to determine the specific things I will need to do to turn it into a successful visual novel.

* Anyone else interested in eventually contributing art or music assets, or experienced with programming, would be welcome as well. Though, since I'm just taking step one on a blind journey, I don't yet know exactly what I'll need on that front, or the timetable.

I'm interested in working with Ren'Py, and I hope that by working with you good folks I can also learn as I go, so that eventually I need less and less direct assistance (though I will always likely need some). I am also interested in building relationships such that -- as I take on new projects in the future -- I know friendly and knowledgeable people that I can contact without getting a restraining order taken out against me.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Though I am an otherwise mild-mannered civilian, my erotica is intentionally transgressive. It is also, quite possibly, not very good. For instance, the first short story I'm interested in evaluating concerns Satan as the MC/protagonist and a liaison of somewhat questionable consent with... er, Mrs. Claus. (There is also a scene of extreme reindeer-on-elf violence.) I recognize and am sympathetic to the fact that, especially in current society, such things are often frowned upon -- but as Pilate said, "What I have written, I have written." Just a heads up.

Regarding payment, I've chosen "Free Project looking for Partners" (and I hope I was right to do so), not because I am opposed in principle to paying for services rendered, but because I have very little discretionary means (see above, re: "father") and also because, as I've said, I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what's available in terms of market or distribution for this sort of endeavor, if there is anything suitable at all. My plans at the moment are simply to make something and put it out into the universe... somehow (I guess I'm approaching this from a Field of Dreams "if you build it, they will come" sort of model... and yes, I know that's not the actual quote :) ).

Going forward, and once I have a better understanding of everything involved, I'm interested in investigating different crowd sourcing models, and etc., and it is my intention to one day try to make money so that I can pay others for their work, too. But at the moment, and for this project, I cannot offer compensation upfront or promise it on the back end. That said, if I am approached with some specific offer, I will always be willing to entertain it.

Thank you for your willingness to indulge me and my ludicrousness (that's a word, right?). If you feel like exploring your own... ludicrousosity... you can reach me at: charlesmarkwell@hotmail.com

Hotmail! See? I told you. I'm old and I don't know things. Help.