Looking for... anything! Really, anything! (Please read!)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Chell
Tumblr: schneizel
itch: lycheegames

Looking for... anything! Really, anything! (Please read!)

#1 Post by Chell »

(DISCLAIMER - I'm seeking partners for a free project. Unless you happen to live in Brazil or are interested in being paid in local currency for whatever reason, I'm afraid I can't pay you, although I have no qualms in letting you publish the game as a PWYW and share the fees. Thank you for understanding!)

Hello!

My name is Chell (as you can probably see,) and I'm a 26 year old female with a few ongoing gaming projects - or rather, my studio's! Been working in-and-out on around ten of them, not all of these made in Ren'py (I also use RPG Maker VX for visual novel + RPG hybrids, seeing as I have a license for using it). Tried making a Wordpress for displaying my project ideas but turns out making a free Wordpress is a bit difficult lol, so I'm considering sticking with Neocities or maybe even Wix or Blogger for now.

First, before mentioning my current projects, let me talk about the things I enjoy/do and think of inserting in my games! Please don't bother reading anything below if you don't enjoy at least a few of these.
- I tend to not be incredibly plot-driven, I'm more of a person who makes a script revolving around a few elements/things/aesthetics/ideas/scenes I wanna insert. Which is why I end up with a hundred projects and not enough time/motivation to actually work on them ; ; ; . But uh yea
- I really like, uh, 80s manga aesthetic. It's not a must but it's undoubtedly an inspiration. Think of something like Urusei Yatsura or Cipher or maybe even Creamy Mamy or Perfect Blue ; I like the "lazy-looking w/ a few distinguished features" aesthetic (...but not purely distorted looks from the 90s although I do like 70s shoujo art too, esp. those eyesss ♥ ; ; ; )
- For games, honestly I love indie RPG/exploration and I like otome games in every shape or form! From the likes of Angelique to Tokimemo to Mystic Messenger - I really enjoy them all. It's highly unlikely that I would script a romance story driven game that's not an otoge, (GXB) or at least GXG or BXB. Although romance isn't even my main focus - I'd much rather write stories that include full-fledged romance but do not revolve around it.
- I intend to make games that are good for learning whatever. Truth be told, I'm knowledgeable in a few areas, I'm a big fan of educational games I would play as a child and I enjoy making games that help people learn stuff without even realizing it. By the way, among my uhh interests/fields of expertise are mental health issues (worked in the field for two years, yes I know what a DSM is and no I'm not a wikipedia expert.) so that's relevant!

Not gonna lie, I have too many interests. Among them are the 16bit gen games I grew up with, later replaced by NDS and Playstation 2 games. So I enjoy and can do some basic pixel art, (check my RM2K3 games for it... all made from scratch too!) but I also grew up with manga and anime asweall as anime art (way back when CG was noveau tbh lol) which is the basis for my Ren'py games' art. So I can do these even though they're not like, super high quality but it's doable. On the other hand I do consider myself a skilled writer. Aside from English and my main language I can also speak some Spanish and Japanese (not Jouzu but!!) (and am learning French but lol Lord forbid ; ; anyway where was I ). Regarding drawing, I have been considering learning modelling and/or photography so I could draw better sceneries ; as for characters I can sew and am currently trying to get into BJD collecting so I can make them pose and all, for these purposes. Last but not least I was great at designing and making graphics way back then but I don't own current versions of Adobe Photoshop and GIMP kinda sucks, so... can do it reasonably I guess lol.
My music-making skills do suck (I tried to do some mixing and enjoy listening to music from different styles a lot but I don't seem to have a natural talent ; ), I don't have good enough equipment to even bother trying SFX and voice-acting and programming isn't my forte either (despite being raised in an apt family, ... I can only do HTML.) although I did try learning some Python basics in Codecademy way back then and am interested in learning. But I tend to gloss over thOse things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To summarize it I am a bit of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of game designer (although I would only call myself a game artist) and I enjoy creating games/art in general for fun. It's a way of venting for me and I always expect to cheer up people who are simply trying to enjoy being alive despite the difficult times we are going through. So, even if I AM ambitious regarding my projects, I hope people without big ambitions but with a lot of passion for the things I enjoy are willing to join me. My schedule is always full (being a social worker by day and law student by night is a lot of trouble I swear ; ; ; ) and I'm always busy except for weekends, so that's another thing one may have to deal with when working with me.

Alright, now for my current projects! Many of which are basically... sparse... ideas.
  • I am currently working on Wizards' Gathering - there is a beta ver up for download on my itch.io! I had been working alone (with music courtesy of ILWAG :D ) but a cg artist has joined me so expect a 0.5.5 version soon ...?
  • Another project with a downloadable alpha ver is Cat Business ; music is courtesy of a friend and I didn't create anything but the script. I was just testing stuff, but then I felt inspired enough to begin writing a script about a young weeaboo woman who works as the manager of a big business. Those days I was studying Business Management and wanted to share my findings (and, uh, help myself through tests lol). It's nowhere near finished and it's one project I'd love to get help with. For now, it's called Moe Money Moe Problems (please get the silly reference.) and aside from business management, corporative mindset and weeaboo life there's also a bit on abusive relationships, sustainability, familial problems, friendship and magic (whooooo).
  • One project I really need help with revolves around, uh, a medieval princess who was assigned a husband and all that but really wanted to be a war commander, so she ran away from the castle; I'm thinking of making it an otome game with different physical routes (i. e. you press on a map where she will run to; she is always fleeing from the guards of the castle, an expedition, etc. until she is far enough into the woods that it becomes a dating "route".) I plan on making it a very classical "fantasy dating with a princess" game because thats how Japanese gamedevs think lol with an added dimension of actual Middle Ages history mixed with some 20th century feminism. Really don't intend on making it feminist propaganda though, just uhh food for thought I guess! Also, one of the routes has a gay couple for partners and the other has a time traveller so I swear it's nothing too serious.
  • Another project I would like to get some help with, I actually came up with while trying to think of ways of... teaching English to young adults ... it's the story of an "au pair" who has to learn English the hard way ; I'm not sure many people can relate or help but worth noting anyway?
  • One project I simply do not know what to do with, but would gladly try to develop further if anyone more knowledgeable than me was willing to help, is based on a script I began writing for an, uh, Egypt-themed jam. Since it seemed too cliche to write a story based on Ancient Egypt, I gathered all my knowledge on present-time Egypt (which was initially "none at all", and then became "a few readings on Africa dot com and Wikipedia + a few songs and all,") and it quickly developed into the story of a young couple who lived near a river ; the guy was a fishermen and the woman was a storyteller who shared stories of Ancient Egypt, which was kinda fun until I finally gave up lol. No plans of finishing it at all unless anyone really wants me (us) to.
  • Lastly but not least important there's a ... long story. On my itch.io you can find a short script which I called Girly x Study and made on a whim for a Yuri writers jam, but I kind of liked it and... thought of trying to develop it further. Nothing happened for ages until, eventually, I was inspired by a song and thought of gender-swapping it (because I'm admittedly a BL manga reader so it sounded easier to write BL ...) and at some point I realized I had a few romance-centered GL/BL scripts which didn't add up to a full story, aaand it became one of those BL manga with a hundred spinoffs telling the story of a silly-yaoihanded-character number 18725 from childhood to elderhood. At this point I have no idea what I was trying to do at all. But, anyway, it's worth noting I do write the occasional BL (and GL although I suck at it.) so if that's your thing feel free to message me and all.
Ok, I guess that's it. ... Wow, that's a lengthy topic. Anyway, please do message me if you're interested in any of these (or maybe something different if you believe I might be interested??). I'm really interested in joining a project or being joined by fellow artists in any of these. ♥ Thank you!

AD NOTANDA

Re: Looking for... anything! Really, anything! (Please read!)

#2 Post by AD NOTANDA »

You wrote who you are and what you can.
You didn’t write anything else.
If your projects will have financial benefits after completion, I would like to hear the details.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#3 Post by Kia »

You can always pay through cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, they allow you to pay anyone anywhere in the world. And those whom accept usually provide very cheap labor.

Chell

#4 Post by Chell »

AD NOTANDA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:12 pm You wrote who you are and what you can.
You didn’t write anything else.
If your projects will have financial benefits after completion, I would like to hear the details.
As I said, I really don't mind letting someone else publish it as a Pay What You Want as long as there's due credit for both parties. If they're willing to split the earnings, that's great. However, I'm not particularly interested in making commercial games for now - I don't even think my games would be worth it.
Kia wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm You can always pay through cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, they allow you to pay anyone anywhere in the world. And those whom accept usually provide very cheap labor.
I guess that's partly my problem with it? I'm not really a fan of cheap labor either, honestly. I'm just trying to seek partners for a free game, because it's ... rather difficult, making one on my own with my own shortcomings as well as lack of time. I am working with local artists in other projects, and they're being paid accordingly (seeing as I'm a working adult and can, well, afford it for a couple projects.) but I have yet to find partners for projects mentioned above.
I thought (from the rules of this forum) that I could recruit people "for free", who are interested in a free project, seeing as I don't have the intention of being a leader or anything; it's just about joining forces. Of course, it'd be completely understandable if nobody would be interested, but it's worth a shot anyway, right?
I have no experience at all with cryptocurrencies. I'm aware that their values tend to fluctuate a lot, so I find if difficult to modulate payments etc. Sorry.

Oniplus
Tumblr: onidoubleplus

#5 Post by Oniplus »

well, I read your lengthy contents and I know you are in need for some team members to help you, but you really need to, at the very least, give exactly what kind of jobs you needed in each of your projects. Honestly, just explaining what your project is about doesn't help in making people who might want to help understand what you want to do or what you need in things you want to do. If you would at least diligent enough to write what EXACTLY you want people to do in each of your projects, I will consider helping, thank you and have a nice day

Chell

#6 Post by Chell »

Oniplus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 am well, I read your lengthy contents and I know you are in need for some team members to help you, but you really need to, at the very least, give exactly what kind of jobs you needed in each of your projects. Honestly, just explaining what your project is about doesn't help in making people who might want to help understand what you want to do or what you need in things you want to do. If you would at least diligent enough to write what EXACTLY you want people to do in each of your projects, I will consider helping, thank you and have a nice day
I said it: anything. If you're interested in these kinds of projects, I can probably fill in your blanks. Whatever it is that you can/can't do.
If not, well, that's ok, good luck finding something else basically.

Agnese1304
Regular
Projects: Silver Crown Bakery
Deviantart: Ageha1304
Discord: Ageha#0015

#7 Post by Agnese1304 »

With so many, I'm sorry for the expression, half-assed projects I doubt anybody would be willing to join. Pick one and focus on it. Get it done. Otherwise you will have a whole bunch of projects that will either never see the light of day or just won't be any good, because you very doing 50 things at once.

Magentabean

#8 Post by Magentabean »

Agnese1304 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:56 am With so many, I'm sorry for the expression, half-assed projects I doubt anybody would be willing to join. Pick one and focus on it. Get it done. Otherwise you will have a whole bunch of projects that will either never see the light of day or just won't be any good, because you very doing 50 things at once.
I def agree with her, take one of your ideas, develop it and come here later, right now those are just random blobs of ideas that are dommed to fail.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

I think the reason that it's especially unclear to us is because, so far, you seem to have done everything yourself, so it's not clear what parts you want help on. You say that you're mainly a writer, but then you say that you've written for most (all?) of the projects currently listed. Do you want a writer to come in and rewrite these scripts? Or do you just want an editor to help fix them?

I'm sure you could find people who want to help you, but the way that you've presented your post is overwhelming. You have a lot of partially finished ideas, which is fine, but no plan for what help you would need to finish any of them.

I don't mean to sound rude or to discourage you, but many of us who have posted on this thread have a similar sentiment of being unsure what you're even looking for, which tells you that the way you've presented your information needs to be looked at again.