[Open] Seeking a BG Artist & More for GxB VN

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
raynetempura

[Open] Seeking a BG Artist & More for GxB VN

#1 Post by raynetempura »

Hello! I’m Red and I am developing a cyberpunk otome visual novel. I posted about this awhile back because I wanted to create this game for OtomeJam, but real life circumstances prevented me from getting as far as I wanted to. I am working hard on it now, however, and have coded the first 7k words into an alpha of sorts (complete with backgrounds, sound effects, and music). I hope to be able to tell the best story that I possibly can, so I am reaching out to fellow creators to see if anyone is interested in working on this project with me. I’m open to any type of help and collaboration, so don’t hesitate to send me a message if what you read below interests you at all!

I really need a background artist, but I would love to have a co-writer and CG artist as well, and am open to more! Please note, the game is planned to be free and my budget is incredibly small. I am hoping to find partners for this, but if you are a background artist willing to work something out on prices, then I'd be happy to discuss it.

Story
Moving data online in 2073 is like moving money by train in 1873—risky, dangerous. It’s secure as long as it stays locked up, but once it leaves the safety of the vault, it’s anyone’s game. Even the world’s most powerful corporate encryption can be broken by someone. No one is capable of policing the net. Therefore, the safest way to move sensitive data is to move it offline. That’s where couriers come in. Utilizing the ZERO-suit by PALACE Industries, a full-body neuro-augmentation framework, they traverse the concrete maze of the city with speed and efficiency, transporting and protecting sensitive data for their clients. “We deliver your package or die trying.”

[You will assume the identity of Skylark, a courier of a well-known house called The Aviary.]

At day’s end, courier Skylark and her partner, Cardinal, return to The Aviary to punch out and then head to the nearest data collection outpost to visit a friend, but when they get there, they arrive at a crime scene. The outpost has been trashed and their friend is bleeding on the floor, mumbling, “He took it…” To avenge him, Skylark immediately hunts down the thief and recovers the stolen data.

The next day, The Aviary is attacked and the data is stolen once again by a mysterious yet familiar man who is somehow capable of moving like a courier without a ZERO-suit - and worse, he knows Skylark’s real name. “You don’t understand what this is, what it means to us,” he says. With those words, Skylark’s world is turned upside down as she unknowingly steps into a dangerous game being played by some of the most powerful agencies in Nexus Prime.

- 3 LIs & 1 one-night-stand
- The option to play without pursuing romance
- 3 main endings and 1 secret ending
- Optional steamy scenes

The script is not yet finished, but the story’s major plot points are outlined to completion. However, I am absolutely open to adjustments! If you are a writer and want to work on it, or just have some cool ideas, I’d be happy to make this a collaboration.

The Player Character
Skylark.jpg
Skylark will have a customizable name and four skins to choose from, each with their own color scheme.

Love Interests
Love Interests.jpg
Marcus Valera aka Cardinal (left) is tall, handsome, athletic, and playful, and he has been Skylark’s courier partner for three years. He always has her back no matter what.

Ashraf “Ash” Sarraf (middle) is an engineer and data analyst, a soft-spoken introvert, and a long-time friend of Skylark. He is always willing to help her, no questions asked.

??? (right) The mysterious man who shows up to steal the data spike is both handsome and dangerous. Skylark is sure she has never seen him before, so why is he so familiar to her?

The Aviary
The Aviary.jpg
Zhara Akinya aka Starling (left) is a courier who is smart, independent, and fiercely loyal. She is a good friend of Skylark’s.

Deacon Maddox aka Kinglet (middle-left) is a courier and Starling’s partner. He is unconditionally kind and patient. Lately, he’s sustained a lot of injuries and it has his fellow couriers concerned.

Jimmy Fields aka Magpie (middle-right) is a new hire, young and eager to prove himself.

Booker (right) is the boss of The Aviary. Though he has a rough and grim disposition, he is very caring and considers his couriers as “his own children”.

As for the rest of the cast, I don’t want to give away too much about them just yet!
Sprite Test.png
Currently, I’m using sprites with profiles as side images from artbreeder, as you see above. They have their own unique style that I love, but they are also very limited (and incredibly wonky in some places) - no expressions, and almost no outfit changes. While I think it can work really well for the setting, I am open to completely redoing the sprites if you are interested! This would be a lot of work with all the characters, but it would give us a lot of room for customization and would help bring the characters to life. I do have some ability to draw characters and can work on sprites as well (I have Paint Tool SAI and Clip Studio Paint). My coloring skills are questionable...

Backgrounds
Cityscapes.jpg
I am using the artbreeder cityscapes for the city backgrounds you see sampled above. For the rest of the backgrounds, I’m managing to make functional ones, but they vary greatly in quality and are just generally bad. Realistically, I need about 10 non-cityscape backgrounds (a hallway, a bedroom, a street, a vacant lot, The Aviary exterior, The Aviary interior, etc). If you are interested in helping out, I would be so grateful! Anything from concept art to photobashing would probably work well with the style. [I would even consider redoing all of the backgrounds if you have the skills to tackle those dang cityscapes.]

GUI

I made my very first GUI for this project and it comes in two flavors: Skyrise and Neon City. Here are samples of both:
GUI Options.png
Neon City:
Character Creation.png
Settings.png
Skyrise:
Menu.png
Dialogue.png
I definitely can and will make adjustments based on feedback!

Contact Info

If you’re interested in joining this project, have any questions, or just want more details, feel free to message me on Discord at Red#6095.