[OPEN] Mod: Playthrough-style add-on for Ren'Py save system

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
jsearuk
Github: JSearUK

[OPEN] Mod: Playthrough-style add-on for Ren'Py save system

#1 Post by jsearuk »

Hello!

My name is James Sear, and I have been informed that this is the best place to attempt to garner assistance with a project of mine, by the good people on the official Ren'Py Discord server.

I am trying to produce an addon/mod/set of files that can be dropped into another game - distributed or in development - in order to add side-by-side Playthrough-style functionality to the Ren'Py save system. I have it all working! - on PC. It could use a few display glitches ironed out, and I can think of a few extra features that could be slid into it, but it could be actioned as it stands.

However, I have no training or career experience at coding, or using GitHub, or project management. My contribution to this project is the initial design and operable code; I simply lack the experience to polish it to professional standards. This means that, at the very least, it's not optimised. The string input screen, in particular, can be slow. I don't know if it will cause memory bloat. At the moment there is no support for the translation of internal strings, and I have no idea if it will work on MacOs, Linux or Android. I have, I believe, used only Python and the documented API. I am looking for 1-3 Quality Assurance coders who have the skills necessary to bullet-proof/re-write the existing code in order to help the project become the best it can be.

Currently working:
- Basic functionality: File save, File overwrite, File rename, File load, File delete, File lock/unlock, Playthrough create, Playthrough rename, Playthrough delete
- Additional functionality: Dev toggles respected, Auto/Quick handled correctly, Playthrough list/Slots list updated correctly on any change

Goals:
- Ideally, working perfectly under all conditions, elegantly and efficiently! Yes, I know :P
- More realistically, working without error or strain in all common circumstances, following accepted best practices.

Requirements:
- Do not interfere with the internal workings of the Ren'Py engine, as this is subject to updates which may cause the mod to break, or cause the mod to break the engine

The quality of the final code should be of a similar level to that used by the Ren'Py development team themselves, such that *IF* they wanted to fold it into a future build of the platform, they could do so with minimal hassle.

The project is currently hosted at the following GitHub repository:
https://github.com/JSearUK/Ren-Py-Playt ... ave-System

Thank you for your consideration :)

jsearuk
Github: JSearUK

Re: [OPEN] Mod: Playthrough-style add-on for Ren'Py save system

#2 Post by jsearuk »

One coder found