[OPEN] Large-scale RPG project

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

[OPEN] Large-scale RPG project

#1 Post by Dragonstar89 »

Greetings, I am back after a couple years to propose the same offers from my previous thread (found here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=55439). I'm looking to network and formulate a team of passionate individuals interested in developing their skills and experiencing in the art of game design and development. I would like to preface this post with the notice: the current scope of this project is meant to be long-term, and is something that I work on with my free time (about 5-8 hours a week at the moment). Right now it is in pre-production as I write and research/study more game engines and languages/programming skills/etc.

The project:
Code-named "Artificial," the project is meant to be a story-driven turn-based RPG that takes place in a distant but seemingly realistic future. Many years prior, mankind during the peak of the World War had their first encounter with a Creature that ruthlessly ate and killed any humans it seen, until it was taken down. Now, the world lives under a false pretense of peace and unity. The largest metropolitan in the world, Edo City, founded in Neo East Asia, is home to over 300 million citizens. You play as one of the cogs in the machine: a journalist with no passion or desire in his life. Suddenly, when one night the stress has become to much for you, you are attacked by these Creatures with all hope lost. That is, until a mysterious Creature that can speak comes to the rescue. You go on investigating the Creatures and who may be the next victim, saving them along the way, all while unfolding the mystery behind the city itself.

At this moment, it is meant to be a turn-based RPG, with a story split into "episodes." The game draws heavy inspiration from similar series such as Persona, with a calendar scheduled system planned, character bonding, and ways to increase your strength and modulate your "Soul." The world art style is meant to be a detailed 32-bit top-down world, with 2d character art sprites and animated menus and battle UIs.

For technicals, the current engines are ones I am looking at:
-Ren'py:

I know this sounds insane for a large-scale rpg and it's currently the second of two options, but it is the engine I have most experience with. While I still write and draw it some (poor) concept art, I'm going to continue messing around with pink production's pink engine (https://pink-productions.itch.io/pink-engine).

-Game Maker Studio 2:

This is my first choice at the moment. I am still learning the engine and GML, but I'd say it's going a bit smoothly. This engine would take a lot longer to work with, but the tools it offers are a great resource.

Progress:
In the initial project recruitment thread, the game was somewhat different, and I had only written 2 scripts (ep 0 and 1) with no story overview or world lore or anything. Now, as of Q1 2021, I have written scripts for Ep 0, 1, 2, and currently writing 3 of a planned 11. The story overview is completed already, some character documents are finished and some still need changed/made, several documents have been made detailing specific game systems, the skill list has been started, the timeline reference for my script is started, and some concepts have been drawn up by me for things such as the battle pov and Ui.

My goal for the project up until 2022 is to finish the main story script, character sheets, and revise the story as needed. I'm also going to keep practicing my GMS skills and hopefully start some prototype systems eventually later in the year, such as the battle system. I'm putting out the recruitment notice now simply because there is progress on-going and I'd like to share the passion I have for this world and story with others whom are interested in working on such a title.

Of course, this is in the "free" section, but only because right now the game is still in pre-production phase, and there are no commercial plans at the moment. However, it is needless to say that if I get this thing running fast enough, there will be compensation and payments sorted out for a final release.

Goals:
To me, this story and its characters are something that I thought up a long time ago, and have rendered and reiterated many times through my life. Now that I'm more into game development and story telling, I am motivated more than ever to work on this idea. I consider this project to be my first big "thing" art-wise. This means I want to give it as much time possible to give it every possible detail necessary to make it fun to play and make the story and characters impressionable.

These goals are loose at the moment, as this is currently a one-man project in pre-pro, but they're nice to have for a motivational boost.

- Create a alpha of the Episode 0 and 1 gameplay & story by Q3 2022.
- Include the battle system
- Include the narration system
- Get a feel for the ideal "world" while in-game
- Finish the drafts of all the main story scripts by start of 2022.
- Create all character art and sprite assets by end of 2022.

Positions::
* = Open, priority.
+ = Open, but not prioritized at the moment.

- [Character Artist]*
Draw concepts and lineart of the main cast and other characters as needed. Paper documents are fine but digital is preferred. Adapt designs to digital .PNG or
other image formats as needed for importing.

- [Environmental Artist]+
Draw concepts and full-work of backgrounds and world art as needed. Digital formatting.

- [Pixel Art]*
Work with artists to create concepts into 2d pixel tilesets/sprites for importing into the Game World. (If a person has experience in this and other art positions,
then this position isn't specifically needed)

- [Graphic Designer]+
Design UI graphics, logos, and other graphics as needed with PSD and other image formats.

- [Lead Artist]*
(Will open if there becomes a team of artists). The main designer for the worlds and characters that will lead any other artists to follow the art style of the game.

- [System Programmer]+
Focus on creating scripts and functions to be used throughout the entirety of the game. (Python, C#/GML experienced)

- [Level/World Designer]+
Work with art lead and director to layout and design the levels/map (or world) for the game in GMS or Tiled (if renpy).

If this idea ever gets more attention and I can manage to formulate a team, and we can look at a realistic commercial release in the future, those who are working on their skills with this project can talk with me in that regard. Until then, I want to use the conceptual and pre-pro phase to get everything written up, and use it as a time to sharpen my programming personally and allow anyone interested to sharpen their art skills/programming/music, whatever it is you want to do.

I am currently a C.S. student, but I only work part-time. During a typical week, I am available Tuesday - Thursday all day until 7 PM (Eastern Time). I want to sharpen my skills and get a team formed, but also make some game designing friends via this as well. You can contact me on Discord: @ SenpaiJake#2416 or Twitter @ _zerojake_.

Devlogs and blips of mine are available at: senpaijake98.tumblr.com
Last edited by Dragonstar89 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

Re: [OPEN] Large-scale RPG project

#2 Post by Dragonstar89 »

**NOTE: The contents of the project (script, art, etc.) contain material not suitable for all ages and peoples. The game has moments of dark matter such as drug abuse, suicide, etc. If any of these things are a trigger, please do not apply.
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)