Looking for BG Artist, Sound Editor for Regency Otome Game [SuNoFes]

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
tatapb

Looking for BG Artist, Sound Editor for Regency Otome Game [SuNoFes]

#1 Post by tatapb »

Sup kiddos, my name is Maria or tatapb and I’m currently solo devving Impolite Society, a Regency Otome for Otome Jam 2022.

I wasn’t going to do this so soon but I have recently found myself overwhelmed with just the sheer amount of everything there is to do so I’m recruiting for SuNoFes (or if you’re in it for keeps that works too, it’s just SuNoFes gives it a clear deadline).

I have ~10k words written into the demo (still crunching hard to finish expressions and sprites and a few choices, but it’s readable) so if you’re keen, hit me up and I’ll send you a link so you can get a better idea of what the vibe for the project is.

This is a non-commercial project so keep in mind that the only payment will be making something cool and the friends you meet along the way.

Plot

Lady Isabelle Ashburn’s brother is finally returning to London after two years fighting Napoleon in France. What’s more, it seems he’s gotten married to a girl they know nothing about.

Deciding she doesn’t want to be made feel like an intruder in her own home, Iz makes plans to set up her own establishment. Cast upon the height of the London Season, Isabelle must juggle her search with her sister’s debut into polite society, as well as several tonnish events she can’t ignore.

What’s more, her managing nature keeps getting her tangled up in the lives of a few eligible (and some not-so-eligible) young men.

Genres

Romance, Fluff, Humour, Fiction, Historical

Scope

I’m releasing a demo by the end of Otome Jam with ~10k words (already written and coded in), which is basically the story setup - introducing relevant characters, raising the stakes, showing initial character dynamics etc. Then there’ll be a bit more setup until the route is picked (about 5k words) and finally, the LIs.

There’s 3 LIs (maybe 4, we’ll see how I feel about that by the end of Otome Jam when I finally take a minute to breathe). I have about 8k written for Harry, 4k for Charles and 5k for Parker (plus about 3k for potential LI #4 because I don’t have any chill), but by the end, I’d guess around 20-30k per route.

I was hoping to get at least one to two routes out by the end of SuNoFes but that’ll only happen if I’m not flailing and failing at trying to do bgs and cgs and other things I am in no way qualified to do.

Looking for
  • Background artist: This would be a massive help. It’s going to be mostly historical interiors and one or two gardens, but also I can provide plenty of references and research if you need me to!
  • CG Artist: If you can semi-match the semi-anime cartoon style we’ve got going here that’d be swell!

• Co-writer / Plot wrangler / fellow editor / idea bouncer / cheerleader: it’s been pointed out to me that this is written in A Very Specific, Regency Slang-y Way, which means it’s hard to match and I get that this is supposed to be fun, not a crash course in Regency cant.
    HOWEVER, if you’re interested in being involved and playing a supporting role, I could really use one. If you have a project of your own for SuNoFes, I’d be more than willing to trade out and do the same for you!
  • Composing / sound editing / music idk: If there’s something I know nothing about, it’s this. I have some music I like from the youtube audio library but if you’re interested I’ll love you forever.

Volunteer

Email: marysuegames@gmail.com | Discord: tatapb#5960 | Twitter: MarySueGames
Let me know how you’d like to be addressed, the role you’re interested in and send me some examples of your work (if applicable).

Love Interests
Aka. What Really Matters

Harry, 24 y/o

Harry Landsley, The Hon. Mr Landsley
Wastrel with sartorial aspirations. Izzy’s best friend’s twin brother, so like, Childhood Friend.

Conflict: Serious gambling debts. Like we’re talking getting shivved in an alley here.
Personality: Breezy, friendly, cheeky. Undertone of absolute frivolity.

Proposes to Iz right off the bat and she’s like ‘lol, no’ and takes him on as a personal project - basically plays the matchmaker trying to find him a rich wife.
He falls in love with her over the duration of the story, and flirts despicably with her but she assumes it’s just because of who he is rather than any particular interest.
She keeps trying to get him interested in other girls but he orbits toward her 90% of the time.

Charles, 27 y/o
Charlie, Charles Landsley, Viscount Melville
Saviour Complex. Izzy’s best friend’s eldest brother, so like, also Childhood Friend.

Conflict: Currently engaged.
Personality: Starched-up and consequential, doing his goddamned best to hold everything and everyone together.

His fiancée is “cursed” - three of her former betrothed(s) died already and nasty rumours are spreading so of course he needs to swoop in on his proverbial white horse and white knight all over the place.
Has been holding a torch for Iz for years but she clearly isn’t interested, so he’s doing… something else.
And it’s definitely not working out for him especially when weird things start happening around him.
Will he become dead fiance #4?

Sprite still a wip.

Parker, 27 y/o
Parker.
The Butler. Always there, always impeccable.

Conflict: Completely ineligible.
Personality: ??? Iz has no idea, honestly.

Parker’s route is one of delightful domesticity but also fraught with secrets.
It’s about breaking through and trust and urgh. Still not entirely sure about this route - I have some of it written out and it’s okay, but in the meantime I’ve had better ideas, so y’know how it goes.

Jasper, 26 y/o
Captain Jasper Monroe. Jas. Monroe.

Conflict: Broke her heart five years ago.
Personality: Flirty, witty, practical.

Potential Route #4 is the dude who broke off his engagement to Iz 4 years ago and essentially cemented her “I don’t need this bs in my life” attitude towards relationships. I love them because I’m a sucker for enemies to lovers but the dude only appears after the demo so he's shelved for now.