[UNPAID/SKILL TRADE] Looking for someone to code a simple journal system

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Bagel

[UNPAID/SKILL TRADE] Looking for someone to code a simple journal system

#1 Post by Bagel »

Hello!

I'm looking for someone to help with coding a simple journal system. My project is a free, short, personal project where I need the player to have access to 1) an updating journal where he will take notes during the duration of the story, and 2) a fully available from the beginning bestiary. I do not need the bestiary to have buttons for individual entries; it can just be a screen with multiple pages you can flip through. I am willing to work with barebones system; it's just that despite having have worked on VNs before, I was never good at understanding anything relating to coding.

I will credit your work in a reasonable manner, including any social media links you would like. I also prefer a skill trade, so that you get recompense for your work.

Project Details:
Genre: Mystery, Chinese Mythology

You and your partner, Yang Jun, are part of the Naturalization Bureau that handles all things yaoguai. Currently, you're being sent to a peach grove up on the mountains due to a case of mass coma, wherein several workers of said orchard have fallen into a deep sleep all at once, with no discernable medical causes. Your job: figure out what's happening, and who's causing it.

But of course, heaven is ruthless, so now the two of you are also swept up in the illusion that has settled over the land.

Project Progress:
I've only recently started the project and have not gotten *that* much done, but I have several sprites and backgrounds finished, and am working on part 1 of the script (probably will max out at 4-5k for that, and at most 15-20k overall). I am planning on implementing sections where the player gets to keep himself safe through being able to recall what creature they're encountering through reading the bestiary, though, which is why I needed this journal system sooner than I thought. (I was hoping to be able to ask for help a bit later in the production, or cobble together one myself, but it gave me an unnecessary headache)

What I can offer:
For VNs I'm primarily an artist, and I am willing to trade with you sprite art according to how difficult this task would be. It has been a while since I've actually worked on a VN so I don't have much recent sprite samples, but I have several here: https://sta.sh/2156mqboktxk?edit=1

Alternatively, I would also be willing to instead trade with a watercolor or ink illustration of your choosing. You may see my illustration portfolio here: https://bamioayam.carrd.co/#portfolio
"All ablaze with clear light
But there has to be more.
"

ShoujoDev
itch: shoujodev
Discord: Ghostie#1665

Re: [UNPAID/SKILL TRADE] Looking for someone to code a simple journal system

#2 Post by ShoujoDev »

Hi! I'm interested in working with you. If you could do some character designs for me in exchange, that'd be great! You can contact me at Discord if you want. ShoujoDev#9410
Just do your best... There's no reason not to keep moving forward.

Bagel

#3 Post by Bagel »

ShoujoDev wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 pm Hi! I'm interested in working with you. If you could do some character designs for me in exchange, that'd be great! You can contact me at Discord if you want. ShoujoDev#9410
Thank you! I'd be more than happy to do some character designs in exchange. I sent a friend request there; I'm namio on Discord.
"

zltm
Github: ZLTM
itch: ZLTM

#4 Post by zltm »

I am VERY interested in this, I'm a programmer with experience in narrative games and some VNs using unity, with a little renpy experience, I also have experience in writing and translation, I'm trying to get back into game development and would love to focus on VNs so I would take that as my part of the trade if you agree, here is my portfolio so you can check my work
https://zltm.github.io/

my discord: Nuru#8451
my email: jdavidrevillad@gmail.com

please contact me if you want to work on this together

Bagel

#5 Post by Bagel »

zltm wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:03 pm I am VERY interested in this, I'm a programmer with experience in narrative games and some VNs using unity, with a little renpy experience, I also have experience in writing and translation, I'm trying to get back into game development and would love to focus on VNs so I would take that as my part of the trade if you agree, here is my portfolio so you can check my work
https://zltm.github.io/

my discord: Nuru#8451
my email: jdavidrevillad@gmail.com

please contact me if you want to work on this together
Hello! Thank you very much for the interest, but the simple journal I needed has already been finished and implemented 🙏 I did go through your portfolio and found it rather interesting, though, so I hope you can soon find a nice project :)
"