Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC channel, and Discord (new).
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am 

Projects: Golden Hour
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Hey there,
I've recently been working on an essay (the academic sort) that has to do with disability narratives and visual novels. One (potential) obstacle to developing it further is a lack of primary texts.

Now, this started, quite predictably with Katawa Shoujo, and I'd like to know: are there other VNs that feature the lived experience of disability and/or chronic illness as a major part of the story?

To be more specific, it would be best if it constituted a defining aspect of either the entire game, or the entirety of one 'route,' but in the case of the latter, not simply as an ending or consequence of the rest of the story.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 pm 
Miko-Class Veteran

Is this limited to medically acknowledged physical illness only?

In "Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien", someone got an accident and paralyzed. In "EF Tales", someone got brain problem (dementia) despite the young age... and similar theme also used in anime "Isshukan Friend" - or "One Week Friend". In "Little Buster", someone also got brain problem (narcolepsy). In "Air", many people got mental/brain problem and one of them ended up died (unless someone magically saves her). In "Narcissu", some people are waiting for their final day with a terminal heart disease. In "Clannad", someone is physically weak since childhood... spoiler warning... and finally ended up dead after giving birth (unless someone, which can't raise his arm due to broken collar bone, can magically saves her).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:42 pm 

Thanks for that quite extensive answer!

indoneko wrote:
Is this limited to medically acknowledged physical illness only? [/size]

Right, that was a bit vague. My scope is limited to physical disability and illness, but not necessarily diagnosed medically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 pm 
Regular

Tumblr: parttimestorier
I'd love to read your essay when it's done! I'm not sure I know about any more with physical illnesses or disabilities that indoneko didn't already list, but I can think of some good ones for mental illness:

All of the love interests in The Fruit of Grisaia have some serious issues with past trauma and whatnot. Although it's very long, so it might not be feasible for you analyze it depending on when your deadline is.

Dejection: An Ode and Asphyxia both deal with depression, and are pretty short and generally good.

And the protagonist of Saya no Uta has something seriously wrong with his brain, but it's not a particular illness that actually exists or anything, so it might not be as useful to you.

Come to think of it, there's also Love at First Sight, in which the main heroine only has one eye. But in the sense of being a fantasy-style cyclops, not a normal human with an eye missing, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for either. Hope some of those help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 pm 
Miko-Class Veteran

Those titles were just the ones that pop up in my mind without digging my HDD first. If you need a complete list of VNs that deals with illness, you might want to search VNDB :
https://vndb.org/i482

Btw... are you only focusing on the narration from the patient (i.e the firsthand experience of the illness/disability), or do you also write about the people who supports the patient?

I'm looking forward to read your essay~ :3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 am 

Well, looks like I have my work cut out for me sorting through these o:
Thanks for the recommendations~

indoneko wrote:
Tare you only focusing on the narration from the patient (i.e the firsthand experience of the illness/disability), or do you also write about the people who supports the patient?

In the case of Katawa Shoujo I hadn't considered this much, since the two characters I'd focused on (Hisao and Rin) were both themselves disabled. They also, in a sense, supported each other. I'd say that stories from people other than the ill/disabled persons themselves would factor into it, but it would be important to have reliable (in narrative/POV terms) access to the ill/disabled person's story, still.

parttimestorier wrote:
there's also Love at First Sight, in which the main heroine only has one eye. But in the sense of being a fantasy-style cyclops, not a normal human with an eye missing, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for either. Hope some of those help!

This looks quite interesting, and in line with other ideas rolling around in my head, if not the essay at hand. Thanks for the heads-up on this one!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm 

Deviantart: barefootchuck
I just thought of one anime: Yuuki Yuna wants to be a hero.
Start around eps 6 or 7, they experienced physical disabilities like one eye blind, mute, cannot taste anything etc. Also from the beginning one character was on the wheel chair the whole time.

The Fruit of Grisaia is more like mental illness not physical ones.

Witcher (book and video game) Geralt cannot reproduce due to mutation... So not a normal medical case study but it's something...

Guts from berserk (manga and anime): lost one arm and blind in one eye, and still fights like a madman.

GL!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
Lemma-Class Veteran

Projects: A Close Shave
You should check out Locked In as well.

*First Next thing to do: When the art comes in, cut up the art for Yeah Sure so I can make image buttons rather than image maps
*Next Thing to Do: Code in all the sprite emotion and camera movement for Close Shave
*Other Next Thing: 6.99.1 Tester, customize GUI

Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21978

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm 
Veteran

Completed: [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Twitter: @JKaty133
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
C14 Dating has a protagonist who has diabetes (I don't think it's mentioned within the game whether she has Type 1 or 2).

Will you be publicly posting your essay? I'd be interested in reading it.

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!