Night in the Woods

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Night in the Woods

#1 Post by Katy133 »

Night in the Woods Website

The (successfully-funded) Kickstarter Campaign
What is Night in the Woods?

Night In The Woods is a VIDEO GAME. All Mae wants to do is run around with her friends, break stuff and hang on to a life of aggressive aimlessness. She dropped out of college and returned home to her crumbling old mining town to do just that, but she's finding that nothing is the same anymore. The old town seems different. Her old friends have grown in their own directions. Mae herself is undergoing some sudden and unexplained changes, giving her mysterious abilities that grant her access to a side of town she never knew existed.

The world is changing, things are ending, and the future is uncertain. Up behind the park at the edge of town, back in the trees by the old mine- there's something in the woods. And it could mean no future at all.

Night In The Woods comes from a deep place for us. That point where you sense things are changing and it's time to move on but you just don't know how. Knowing that everything will end someday, and wondering how well we'll be able to meet it when it happens. How long we'll be able to hold on, and when we should let go. When to accept and when to fight.
What kind of game is it?

Night In The Woods is an adventure game heavily focused on story, characters and exploration, with some platforming to get around town. Mae's a cat so the roofs and ledges and powerlines are all her playground, and she's not the only one up there by a long shot. You'll also be doing various activities and interacting with the world in different ways, getting to know the townspeople, hanging out with friends, exploring Possum Springs inside and out, and venturing into the surrounding areas.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

JJupiterJump
Regular

Re: Night in the Woods

#2 Post by JJupiterJump »

I learned about Night in The Woods on Tumblr, and for awhile afterwards I had the games tumblr bookmarked and everything. I'm still interested in it a lot, it's hard to explain why. The small bits of writing I've seen from it have really resonated with me, but I can't tell you why. Probably one of the only indie games aside from VNs I've been interested in for a looong time haha.

I love the aesthetics of it too! It just looks so cool.

They released a small spin-off of the game too, it's about a folktale in the main Night in the Woods game! It's name your own price on itch.io, called Lost Constellation
Lost Constellation is a Longest Night ghost story. Travel into the frozen woods in a folktale from the world of Night In The Woods.

It was made by Alec Holowka, Scott Benson, and Bethany Hockenberry in the last weeks of 2014.

This is a supplemental game, which is to say it's not a demo or a preview of Night In The Woods. In some ways Lost Constellation is a lot like NITW, but in a lot of ways it's not. It's a tangent, a side-story, a way for us to explore a bit in a more off-the-cuff manner.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Night in the Woods

#3 Post by Donmai »

Just to let you know this game is free (for a limited time) on the Epic Games Store today. If you have a spare 1.54 GB of space free on your hard drive, don't miss it.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)