RPG Shooter: Starwish

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

RPG Shooter: Starwish

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

This freeware PC game was added to the VNDB very recently. It's written in English, and described as "...a unique blend of a shooter, rpg, visual novel and dating sim rolled into one!" More info can be found at http://starwish.auriplane.net/?Home And it seems the game is hosted on Kongregate at http://www.kongregate.com/games/xdanond ... r-starwish

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: RPG Shooter: Starwish

#2 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

tried playing for about 3 1/2 hours on hard. it was really nice at first, aside from the horrible boss battles. the story is pretty amusing. unfortunately, each time it switches location it becomes slightly less playable.

I got as far as "the end of time" and thought to myself, "my god, an aerial shooter with grinding. why does this exist?" honestly, I tried for half an hour to level up to the point where that game would be possible to finish, but even after loading most of my exp into attack and upgrade the absolutely required weapon as much as it lets me, I still couldn't even clear a path through the levels.

I think this would've been a really awesome game, if it ended after beating the firebolt. that, and scrapping those maze levels.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

I forget the title, but there is a commercial GBA RPG Shooter game (which involves lots of grinding). Though the charm of that game is that you could combine 3 weapons module into an awesome weapon. So awesome that the developer need to deliberately toned down some weapons since they think they are way too powerful.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

I think you're referring to Sigma Star Saga, LVUER? Interesting game, but the random shooter battles did become pretty annoying.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Yup, that's it ^_^ And that the reason why I didn't finish the game too. Not to mention about the high rate of random encounter, and how a single random encounter could span to more than 3 minutes (even worse than your traditional RPG grinding).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#6 Post by Kikered »

Starwish is pretty nice, and I liked it quite a bit - spent most of yesterday playing through it on normal and hard and got most of the endings. Conveniently, you choose the ending you want at the end (provided that you've already fulfilled the necessary conditions throughout the game), so you can reload and simply beat the last boss again for another one. If I had to guess, the one ending I'm missing is available when...
you've fulfilled the conditions for all the other endings on hard mode.
With the right build, I think that a lot of grinding can be avoided, albeit things may still be difficult on hard mode - it took me several tries to down the final boss once. I managed to clear the game without grinding - the Defensive Shielding skill and knowing what to get hit by when you have to get hit played a big role in it.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Ramidel
Regular

#7 Post by Ramidel »

Hm. Kikered, are you missing
Neferiti's ending?
If not, then can you tell me how you got it (if you know)?

(I tried to get it, obviously, but I appear to have missed the requirements.)

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#8 Post by Kikered »

Actually, I've gotten Neferiti's ending. Her cafe conversations only occur on hard mode and will appear after just about every stage at The End of Time.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what other conditions need to be fulfilled aside from cafe conversations. Johnny does mention stats and personality during his talks about particular girls, so maybe the pre-game personality test and your stat distribution play a part in determining compatibility with a girl. As far as personality goes:
choosing logical, goal/mission oriented responses probably scores points towards her.
Hope this helps!
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.