bargains and decisions!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

bargains and decisions!

#1 Post by papillon »

http://direct.hirameki-int.com/index.html

I haven't bought Animamundi yet. I have some store credit saved up at J-List I could put towards it, though - or I could buy through this deal and pick up Hourglass of Summer as well.

Hourglass of Summer is supposed to have a great plot, but the DVD nature of those games can make them really annoying to play through, or so I've heard. Just how obnoxious IS the dvd format?

Hrm...

(Edit: Oh, what the heck. If the DVD game drives me insane I'm sure I can find someone else to sell it to. :) )

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

I played HoS on a normal PC with a DVD drive (I'm not putting my shiny DVD into some barbarian DVD Player that scratches them, my trusty Teac is so woderful ^_^). Anyway, at first it wanted to change the region (from Europe to Nort America or something), but I just "ignored" that, and everything worked fine.

The problem was I needed to find a suitable player, I ended up using some PowerDVD or what was it called - it was a long time ago though, so hopefuly the new media player supports the DVD now. I've heard from MP 10 onwards it works. This said, I had troubles with MP 10, so...
The problem was with that it didn't show the subtitles and it kind of wouldn't start (no buttons or something I think).

Anyway, it takes some getting used to, but I found nothing wrong with the DVD play system. For me, it was only in the software - with PowerDVD everything worked fine. On some of the DVDs I think I had troubles rewinding or playing forward - probably the Witch Club. But then again, you can pause it and 20 minutes for one sequence is passable.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: bargains and decisions!

#3 Post by PyTom »

papillon wrote:Hourglass of Summer is supposed to have a great plot, but the DVD nature of those games can make them really annoying to play through, or so I've heard. Just how obnoxious IS the dvd format?

Hrm...

(Edit: Oh, what the heck. If the DVD game drives me insane I'm sure I can find someone else to sell it to. :) )
HoS is a great game, and deserves better then the dvd-format. One of the big problems with the DVD format is that loading and saving are hard... and for HoS, that can be a real problem.

A low-priority project of mine is to modify a dvd player program (mplayer or VLC) to better play the dvd games. The idea would be to have a file with marks for every line of dialogue, so clicking will jump to that mark. And also, perhaps, some way to efficently save and load the game.

The good thing about HoS is that the story is good enough to make me consider doing this. The bad thing about HoS is that the dvdplay format is bad enough to make me have to.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

The only problem I had with the DVD format of HoS was that sometimes the text advanced too quickly, and the only way to go back and see it again was to reload an old save. Other than that- no real complaints

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by mikey »

PyTom>> How dare you don't like DVD Play! ^_^

IMO it's a great thing, this is how VNs should be played. It's a wannabe movie, it's annoying, clumsy, but all that makes it cute!

No, I really mean this. I like the concept and managing all the troubles before you actually play it is like a small triumph - and it reminds me of old DOS games that you needed to free memory in order to play them and then it needed a mouse and you had to load it, setup your sound card... it took ages to actually play, but then, in those times I would play with my monitor upside down and using my keyboard instead of a mouse and I wouldn't even dream of complaining.

It's kind of back to the old days with DVD Play, you have to show it some authority in order to play, it's not this user-friendliness nonsense, no lazy-comfy instant play - you need to go through some troubles with the game before you can play it, and that makes you closer - I think it's brilliant!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#6 Post by Alessio »

Hm, I've tested getting HoS to run on my laptop and it doesn't really want to. As far as I can tell, the spin-up time of the drive is too long. The scenes are missing most of the subtitles, and bookmarks barely work at all. Luckily, on my stand-alone DVD player it runs fine. Just a bit slow to proceed - now I realize how much i love Ren'Py's ability to advance quickly and/or to skip text.

(Still haven't finished playing Phantom of Inferno completely... should get back to that one sometime.)
mikey wrote:I would play with my monitor upside down
Excuse me....?????? O_o;;

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

mikey wrote:No, I really mean this. I like the concept and managing all the troubles before you actually play it is like a small triumph - and it reminds me of old DOS games that you needed to free memory in order to play them and then it needed a mouse and you had to load it, setup your sound card... it took ages to actually play, but then, in those times I would play with my monitor upside down and using my keyboard instead of a mouse and I wouldn't even dream of complaining.
This from someone who wants all the dependancies for a program to be bundled with it!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

Ever since they switched to raster graphics, it's all been downhill.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

^_^ I give up. DVD Play is the worst invention ever. 8)

Alessio >> Maybe if you tried making a DVD image? Play it from the hard drive. That may solve the spin issue... If you can spare a few (4-8) gigabytes? :P

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

I've been playing Animamundi (much to PyTom's dismay), and it's pretty fun. Ever17 has a better story and more girls, but Animamundi has a better atmosphere. Girls who are into the whole loligoth thing would probably love it. Be warned, though: it's not an easy one to figure out (and there are some bugs that have patches pending with Hirameki.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom »

Blue Lemma wrote:I've been playing Animamundi (much to PyTom's dismay), and it's pretty fun.
It's not only that, he's also been watching Princess Princess. (Which _so_ not what it sounds like.)

The prosecution rests.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#12 Post by Blue Lemma »

Geez, I see one episode at the suggestion of a friend, and I'm indicted for 1st Degree Girly Anime-Viewing :P

It's okay, though, because even PyTom's prosecutor cannot stand up against my defense attorney!

Click if you dare!

Gwahahaha... (I used to watch reruns of that show in high school a lot... Hmm, maybe I should shut my mouth before I get brought up on more charges :? )

But Animamundi still has an interesting story and good atmosphere! Princess Princess wasn't my cup of tea, but it was...calming somehow. Maybe I should send PyTom the Princess Princess promo poster they were giving away at Anime Expo :twisted:

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by musical74 »

I would have gone with the Master Attorney, Perry Mason, myself....I used to watch both laywer shows, though - a LOT :)

Question on the DVD-ROM format - I've been considering getting a DVD-ROM on my computer (it doesn't have one now). How hard is it to install, how much, and is it worth it? Seems that more and more games are offering the DVD-ROM format, and I'm being left behind...what do you all think? Is it worth getting a DVD-ROM? Why or why not?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

No... a DVD-ROM drive isn't worth it... You need a DVD+-RW drive ^_^ . You can buy an internal DVD burner now days for not too much. Then you can back up your DVDs, or home movies, have more storage on a single disk, and you can watch movies on your computer. If you have anime DVDs, you can also make AMVs ^_^ . I couldn't live without my DVD drive...

Berri

#15 Post by Berri »

Hourglass of summer is a good game, but not exactly a MUST HAVE imo.

I got the Ever 17 and Hourglass of Summer deal. I must say, the DVD format is annoying, especially since it gives you your password one letter at a time. :roll: I use my PC DVD player, which has an option to bookmark at any chapter.