Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

#31 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Top 5 is kinda difficult to choose especially since I've played a lots of games that I particularly forgot some of them(to the point that even the good ones I've thought were nice were erased in my mind).

It took me for a few hours to get over with the list of it and here is my top 5: >:3

5. Time Hollow-
Yes, this is a VN(in my opinion) and is one of those few VNs that are not otome game I've liked. The story is awesome and while I'm craving for more, it's been 4 years(?) since it was released and I'm not grasping any rumors for a sequel at all. Dx

4. Togainu no Chi-
Ahem, BL(Boys' Love). But not just your typical boy's love. Shoot the crap that I'm still traumatized by Keisuke's route, I love Akira(hero) and the story was original, the art was beautiful and the voice actors hadn't failed me.

3. Hanayaka Nari Waga Ichizoku-
It's been a year since it was released and it was only recently that I've played it only to slam my head on the wall for being an idiot for not playing this game. The story is...not that original but still it was an awesome play. Ignoring the OP which is saofiahfouiai, the BGMs and the ED was beautiful. The voice actors despite the fact that only Kishio Daisuke is the only cast I know, was still chosen very well. The art, while there was a bit failure on some proportion is still beautiful.

Besides that, it's not really that rare to have a maid heroine(looks at that ijiwaru my master ="=), but being a maid during the meiji era is kinda nice to be experienced. While all the guys(or members of the Miyanomori Family) are f*cked up jerks at first, I'm still glad I bared it and finished their routes. :)

2. Storm Lover And it should've been Hakuouki but as time passes, Hakuouki doesn't appeal to me anymore more than the fact that the artist is Kazuki Yone
-They are saying that this kind of game is cliched....for a BISHOUJO game but never in an otome game. Out of all the otome games I've played, there are very few school life games in total. Anyway, tired of fantasy, fighting and bloody games, it's really refreshing and fun to play something you can actually relate to in life. Voice casts are chosen well, art is very good *_* and while the story can be cliched for a bishoujo gamer, or a shoujo manga reader, it's still kinda refreshing to play and was nice.

Besides that, the school life isn't the unique part of Storm Lover. In it, it's not about winning the heart of your guy, it's about maintaining your relationship with your guy(or boyfriend) instead. It's a unique idea and I really love it.

1. *drum rolls* Nise no Chigiri- What can I say? The music was awesome, some routes are meh like Kanehisa's and Suien(?) and don't get me started about that Akatsuki. D:< Cliched? Yes. You are a high school student who gets drown in a river and was favored to mess up in one of the popular battles during Sengoku Period and you know what happens next if you've read or watch Fushigi Yuugi or anything with "girl travelling to the past). :P(I mean, I can't possibly type it all here, so if you wanna know more research for it :D)

Anyways, there were only two routes that really were awesome for me enough for this one to be my no. 1 in my list: Shuuya and Kansuke's route. I'm really weak about those kind of routes and it's kinda hard to explain but awesome plot for this two and I really love it and I still love them even in the fandisk btw, the fandisk made me hate akatsuki even more.

Might be weird for others but this is my list :)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

applegirl
Veteran

#32 Post by applegirl »

1. Fate/Stay Night
Easily the best VN I've ever read in 5 years. I spent at least 50 hours reading all of this VN and I can't wait until my memory fades so I can read it all over again. There's a reason Type Moon makes so much off of F/SN spin offs.
2. G-senjou no Maou
How would I describe this VN? An epic battle of wits with a spectacular ending for one girl. For her route alone, I rate this is my second favorite VN. Funny and suspenseful, a VN that really has it all. If the other girl routes were just as amazing, I would be seriously tempted to replace F/SN with this as my all time favorite. Unfortunately, they are less epic (although good) routes that keep this as a solid #2.
3.Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
Funny and charming VN that again has a great storyline and one fantastic heroine. Suffers from the same plus and negatives of G-Senjou (no surprise since they are made by the same terrific company). One girl has a great route while the others are...just less in comparison.
4. Saya no Uta
Dark and tragic, I don't think I'll ever read a VN like Saya. It was short in a way, but so brilliantly done that I can't help but remember it after so many years.
5. TIE: Cross Channel and Tsukihime
Cross Channel is a deep VN that takes on a whole new meaning if you read the expansion (Tower of Friends). One ending, which kind of frustrated me. But all the cliches and funny parts were handled very well.
Tsukihime is a fond memory since it was my first VN I've ever read. Deep story and characters that only failed in terms of art.

I haven't finished Little Busters yet, so that might change my list. But this has been my all time favorite lists for many years and I kinda doubt it'll change significantly.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#33 Post by Anarchy »

1. Saya no Uta
Urobutcher at his best (worst?). Featuring one of the most unique, chilling premises in any media and a gripping atmosphere, this VN never fails to hold your attention. The writing is concise, yet evocative, as it chronicles the protagonist's slow descent into surprisingly understandable madness. Professional and exuding excellence from tip to toe, it's no wonder that this VN is as popular as it is. I rate it my all-time favorite partly because of my preference for horror, but mostly because it's such a tight little black hole of concentrated awesome.

2. Umineko No Naku Koro Ni & Chiru
This work is special, not just as a VN, but as a literary work in its own right. The prose can be clunky and long-winded at times, but taken as a whole, Umineko a multifaceted piece working on multiple levels, each groundbreaking on its own right yet only working in conjunction with other levels. First of all, it is an immense, complicated ball of mysteries and riddles that readers can have fun solving. Who did not enjoy Bern's game in Episode 8? However, at the same time, it is a fascinating critique of the mystery genre and its limitations. It makes fun of the assumptions we rely on to make conclusions that we see as completely "logical", and reveals the empty base on which our thought processes are founded. The "red truth", with which we use to disprove the existence of witches, is only valid if we except the authority of the witches in the first place. On another level, it is a story that depends heavily on "nonsense and metaphor - but very important nonsense and metaphor", which is, I think a very risky and brave way of telling a story. It's a kind of subtlety that transcends realistic nuances - we have to actively work to decipher the narrative - any emotional investment we have in the characters and the plot seem to be very tenuous due to the nature of the story that blurs reality and fiction, mystery and fantasy, and yet somehow the emotions we feel ultimately make sense, if not on a rational level (ironic, that), but from a pure narrative perspective. The interaction and interplay between multiple levels of realities and fictions is astounding. And then of course you have the surface level of a family drama - all these interesting characters conflicting and colliding with each other. Lastly (and perhaps most important), Umineko works spectacularly as entertainment, especially in the Question Arcs where Beatrice is at the height of her trolling prowess. The exaggerated expressions and emotions of all the characters involved, the fantasy battles, everything - serves to exhilarate and leave you wanting more.

Being able to work on so many different levels and yet tie them together into one coherent piece of work is absolutely amazing. It breaks so many grounds on so many fronts while still remaining accessible and exciting both emotionally and intellectually at the same time. And how can you forget that amazing soundtrack? All those epic OPs and EDs? The heartbreaking BGMs and final song?

The only reason that Umineko is in second place is because unlike Saya no Uta, which is perfection from beginning to finish, Umineko does have some rough spots and weaknesses that drag it down. However, I think Umineko accomplishes more in terms of innovation and just the sheer scale and mindbreakingly beautiful complexity of its construction.

3. Animamundi

I'll be honest and say that this is here only because of my base desires: I love myself some hot gothic bishies and gory horror. And Animamundi is chock full of hot gothic bishies and gory horror. Of course, the well-written characters, complex story and well-paced conflict definitely helps as well. I just wis I didn't have to do so much backtracking to see all the paths. Definitely my favorite BL VN though. My other favorite, Enzai, has marginally better art (if not character design), but somewhat poorer story? If you can call the threads linking all the horrible prison rapes "story"? (Seriously though, this had some great stories and characters, but the potential never seemed fully developed - the sex was good, but I wanted the stories and characters to be a bit more well-developed). -sigh-

4. Ever17
Coco's route. 'Nuff said.

This game was a great experience. I cried at some of the endings. My heart was chilled. I was amused, frustrated, confused, amazed... and then Coco's route came along and my mind was blown. Such a great thriller. Of course, now that I look back on it, I can see how it might be somewhat overrated. Like Umineko, it does some really great things but is bogged down by some glaring flaws. The long-winded exposition, the "slice-of-life" scenes just weren't entertaining enough for me, and of course, the infamous kick-the-can. And even Coco's route has its problems. I highly respect it, however, for being one of the few visual novels that actually utilize the visual novel format to its maximum potential, like Umineko. You can't really adapt Ever17 to another medium without fucking up the story; that's how dependent the story is on the visual novel framework. And I think that's something that more visual novels need to do. Otherwise, why not just go write a novel, or publish a picture book, right? It's ranked under Animamundi, but only because I have a special soft spot in my heart for Animamundi and its delicious yaoi men - well, and how the prose can be really weak at times and the narration can be rather flawed at points and the ending relies on *cough* a certain deus ex machina... but again, same with the #1 and #2 picks, Ever17 does much more and is way more innovative and intelligent than Animamundi - too bad its flaws were so extensive it drove it down a rank.

5. Dangan Ronpa
The only reason it's so low on my list is that I'm following it through an LP, which has barely covered the second chapter - but I'm already loving the poo poo out of this game. It's like the Ace Attorney series in that it's mostly a visual novel with a bit more gameplay added on, so I'm counting it as a visual novel anyways. The story is incredibly addictive and exceptionally well-written, with none of the wordiness that so often plague even the best of VNs. The dialogue is sharp and exciting, due to all of the characters having ridiculously fun, over-the-top personalities - and I mean that in the best of ways. You can still empathize with the characters, and they're very well-drawn and three-dimensional (well, if you take good enough advantage of the social link-esque system), but the characterization and plot and art are all heavily stylized and the result is absolutely fascinating to watch. Have I mentioned this is a murder mystery? That it's described as Phoenix Wright meets Battle Royale featuring the voice of Doraemon as a monstrous teddy bear? It's great. You should either play it if you understand Japanese or follow the LP if you don't. I haven't even played the game and it's already on my top five list.

Also, it features top tier seiyuu, for those for care about those things. (I mean, they even got the voice of DORAEMON. Who had retired and wasn't even planning to do anything after 25 years of voicing the same old blue cat robot. THE VOICE OF DORAEMON.)

Oh, and special mention because it's not really a VN but the gameplay is really VN-like: Rockett's New School <3

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#34 Post by Taleweaver »

Anarchy wrote:5. Dangan Ronpa
Aagh, why did you have to post that LP? Now I'm going to HAVE to follow it!

It's a pity that only a few of the 15 characters actually have a meaningful part in the story, but so far, the murder mysteries are written reasonably well. Of course, it's difficult to come up with something entirely original in the whodunit genre (so far, we've had...
...the murderer who was killed by her designated victim instead and a case of the "detective" trying to frame a real serial killer by copying his modus operandi... at least that's how I think the second case will end)
but the cast is just so quirky that it's really fun to see how everything unfolds.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#35 Post by Daistarir »

1. Amnesia (PSP)
2. Black Wolved Saga(PSP)
3. X-Note ( Oure's route make my pure tears fall)
4. Clock Zero (The Art !)
5. Ijiwaru my Master ( Can't remember the name!)
Last edited by Daistarir on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

spooky

#36 Post by spooky »

I probably won't put them in order buuuuut...
1. Ever 17. I only actually played it recently and at first didn't think it would be amazing as everyone makes it out but it really is. I mean sure it has it's flaws; but Coco's route was really something. My brain hurt a bit from everything I was taking in c:
2. Fatal Hearts. This will forever hold a place in my heart. It was the first visual novel I ever played and I was hooked immediately. I still remember my friend and I downloading a trial that was meant to last thirty minutes but it somehow didn't stop so we played it all night in fear the trial stopping if we closed it :3 Sure enough we were right, and I begged my mum to buy it for me the next day and she did so that I'd shut up about it c:
3. Saya No Uta. Everything I could say has pretty much already been said in this thread but it will definitely stay with me. All the endings were really powerful IMO.
4. CLANNAD. Probably not one of the best VN's out there but it was really beautiful. Most people I know have only seen the anime and I really think they're missing out on the other routes! Nagisa's is still my favourite but I really love the others too. (With the exception of Tomoyo's. I just do not like it at all.)
5. Hmmmmmmmmm this is difficult. I could probably pick a few but I might have to go for True Remembrance. If I had known it was a KN I probably would of never given it a try but I'm so happy I did. It was a really amazing story and I cried a lot :c Might play/read it again soon actually.

Other honorable mentions: Narcissu and Ace Attorney!

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by try10 »

Favourite games in no particular order:

1. Animamundi :D

Amazing plot and art. The soundtrack is very beautiful and there are endings that make you cry.

2. Shikkoku no Sharnoth :D

Even if it only has one ending I have to say that it had a very original plot and interesting characters. Those creatures gave me goosebumps.

3. Enzai :D

An awesome BL game with lots of violence and mature scenes. ( I had a few nightmares about being in prison after I played this one... )

4. Togainu No Chi :D

LOVED this game. I have been waiting for a very long time for the english translation sice I don't understand japanese. It was worth the wait. I loved all the endings ( except the psycho Keisuke ones ).

5. Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan :D

Even if the girl annoyed me a little bit because of the nice plot, beautiful art and sexy voices it became one of my favorites games.

I have many VN that I want to play. Some of them are mentioned in the lists above, but since I don't know japanese I won't understand anything... :(

:cry: Why can't I find some japanese courses in this damn country?! :cry:

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#38 Post by azureXtwilight »

1. Umineko No Naku Koro Ni -- Should I say anything more?
2. Saya no Uta -- Simply magnificent. The mindscrew is totally... awesome. I like it when a hero breaks the mold of the VN hero.
3. Ever 17 -- I love how it's paced, how all the characters are likeable in the end and the story is so heartbereaking sometimes
4. Higurashi No Naku Koro No -- Same reason as Umineko
5. Fate/Stay Night -- Simply amazing. Period.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#39 Post by Hijiri »

Oh, speaking of Higurashi, I forgot to give it a ranking. So here it is-
αʹ Rank- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#40 Post by Blane Doyle »

Looking back, 2011 me was a bit dumb and I may have different tastes now so...

REDONE LIST. Again, both translated and OEL. (One day I will actually review and/or give feedback for these I swear)

First, translated games:

1) Corpse Party
AKA: Corpse Party Blood Covered Repeated Fear (yay long port titles). I have no words to describe this game, how much I love it, and how amazing it is. It's like Higurashi on CRACK to me, maybe? It's just amazing.

2) 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Still awesome. Still love it. Still a great story with great characters and just great all around.

3) Saya no Uta/Kara no Shoujo
A tie. Still freaky. Still love em.

4) Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni- Dai Ichi Ya
This beat Higurashi completely off the list. There is just something about it that is so... perfect, almost, for what it is. The atmosphere, the characters, even the art work wonderfully together to make an intriguing story with a very hard to swallow subject matter that makes you willing to go through it. (And it is much better than the ABSOLUTELY AWFUL MANGA it is adapted from. There is showing us what is happening and then there is uncomfortably shoving it in our face.)

5) Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
Because this is one of the very few otome games ever translated and they went out of their way to make the heroine more appealing and it WORKED.

And OELVN:

1) Cinders
This is definitely one of the most impressive and enjoyable games, visual novels, and OELVN that I have never picked up. It's so similar while being so DIFFERENT. That, and I love it when people play with fairy tales.

2) Magical Diary: Horse Hall
Still far too much fun. Still hilarious. Imma play for Grabby again.

3) Re:Alistar++
My first otome game ever and STILL one of my favorites. Will never not be loved.

4) Jisei/Kansei (Hopefully Yousei too)
Still impressive, but still too short. Love the voice acting. I hope Yousei holds up.

5) Katawa Shoujo
Ok, I KNOW this game has major issues. The writing is all over the place, there is not one singular art style because they assigned each person to a route instead of working together, yes some routes are just bad while other are honestly good, and yes there is purple prose. But damn it, I love the characters and the message of people being people regardless of what they look like or what happened to them or how they were born too much to not be able to overlook them for the sake of enjoying it for what it is on a personal level.
Besides, it was one of the reasons (but I don't think THE reason) the OELVN scene got a mild boom. I am ok with that.

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#41 Post by MarineScripter »

1: Wand of Fortune II
Love the characters, the artist, Usaba Kagerou, is amazing, everything was great. My favorite game of the series so far.

2: Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice
The Ace Attorney line is a classic, and each game reminds me why I love visual novels so much. Deducing is the best thing possible since trying to find invisible nervous habits debuted in this game.

3: Amnesia
Hanamura Mai is a terrific artist, and the story was great. Who doesn't love being chased around by a green-haired psycho? Never mind that Kent was the only one I left unfinished. Why must I have no time?

4: Bakudan Handan
The artist of AA, Iwamoto, did an otome game. I had to play it, and I loved this game. Same ridiculous poses, character designs, and a great soundtrack. Hilarious.

5: Nise no Chigiri
Fantastic soundtrack. Never MIND that each time the heroine went BACK into the forest, you were at your wit's end and tearing your hair out.
"WHY must you go back in! You were attacked the LAST fifty times!" Despite the amnesic heroine, a great game.

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#42 Post by jghibiki »

1. Fate Stay Night +18 - though the stirrings drags a bit it also developed the characters really well and builds up the readers feelings for the characters. Too bad there are no rider or caster branches :/
2. tsukihime +18 - Very interesting part horror vn centered largely on sexual encounters and madness however.
3. Fate Hollow Atoraxia - fun continuation of the Fate series and provides fans with more encounters with Caster and Rider.
4. Juniper's Not - Just finished reading! Extremely gorgeous characters and scenery, even the menus are highly unique. On top of that it has excellent charter developement fitted into a relatively short KN.
5. Clannad series (Clannad + Afterstory + Tomoyo after[+18]) - great character development, the after story and tomotyo after are huge tear jerkers.
Last edited by jghibiki on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

#43 Post by squark »

I haven't played many that I can count among my all time favourites list, but here I go:

1: Probably Ever 17, I loved the feel of it all -- and how it changed so suddenly from "bleh, what's going on", to "Oh God, what's going on?!" No particular route favourite, though. I haven't played it in ages. Should get back to it.

2: Kana. I played this the night before going to therapy and actually cried. When a dame game can move your heart, you know you're not going to regret it.

3: Animamundi. Now THIS is creepy.

4: Yin-Yang the X-Change Alternative. Honestly, it was this, or X-Change 2. Loved the voices and the CD Audio, but if you want better written, I think Y-Y was. XC2 was a little more on the humorous side, though.

5: I loved True Love (AKA True Love '95). Sweet (and funny) at times, but one of the paths actually made me worry about her. Can't quite remember who it was though.

If I could find my Hirameki Collection again, I'd probably find more to love. TBH, if it wasn't a game on video, Day of Love would probably make it. Same with Exodus Guilty, but it just doesn't want to work properly for some reason.
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#44 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Nah, it's not like I have known VN for a long time (in fact I was just acquaintanced with "Visual Novel" in the middle of this year, mainly OELVN), but I'll try to list what I've read and it was worth for me to read

1. Remember 11. For some reason I like this better than Ever 17. Sure, with the cliffhanger ending it would be really a problem for almost all the players, but otherwise I love the twists and plots. Unpredictable. And the best sci-fi VN I've ever played this far !
2. Ever 17, the really popular one from Infinity Series. No need to explain again. The story is kinda slow-paced at first but I was captivated to play it until the end
3. CLANNAD, wohooooo, the graphics are awesome ! I haven't played all the routes but I think Nagisa's path (mainly on After Story) will driving me insane
4. Narcissu. A VN I've read long long time ago (at that time I wasn't realized that actually this stuff is called Visual Novel anyway, but I had them since I was on high school....5 years ago ?). Simply touching
5. True Remembrance. Another VN I've read long long time ago (the reason is the same with Narcissu). I love the twists, I love the perspective switching, and I just love Blackiris as well ^_^

Well, another Infinity Series "Never 7" isn't good and memorable as Ever 17 and Remember 11, but I like the Izumi Cure's path anyway. It does explain a lot of things, and I think the most memorable part on this VN.

EDIT : I've played Saya no Uta recently (because I noticed many peoples mentioned as their fav VN here)
My opinion
Ahem...at the first I'm not the type who can stand all the
disgusting things
presented on that VN, and I was shocked for sure.
The distorted vision is fine, but the ero-scene is...well...sometimes are going too far. Or maybe I'm not really fond of it. It's too vulgar and explicit (surely not my taste)
Yet the story was really captivating, and each endings has a strong point as well. Short but memorable.
Last edited by tiya_nofurita on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#45 Post by Coren »

1. Saya no Uta
2. True Remembrance
3. Moonshine (didn't like the ending though)
4. To the Moon (counts as a visual novel to me - it's very story-based! :))
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (I was very disappointed with Umineko though, and some of the stories in Higanbana were a waste of time)

I love those emotional stories with sweet yet mellow endings. Saya no Uta doesn't have that ending, but it's sickening sweet in that cruel way too (for the Song of Saya ending).