Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

#46 Post by Hijiri »

Ok, I guess I'd better update my faves as well, since it's been a while.

1) Secret Game series by FLAT
This includes CODE: Revise and Killer Queen
ImageImage

What can I say? It was my inspiration and a fairly good read as well. It took the BR formula and brought it together in a way that we feel something for each of these characters. (Except Code: Revise, some of them need a bit of work.) Then there's the protagonists, Syuhei and Souichi, who have distinct personalities and actually feel more like characters than being PC's. (I won't say 'likeable' since Syuhei does some assholish things in C:R, and in the first version of Killer Queen, Souichi does as well) However, Code: Revise by itself wouldn't be on this list without Killer Queen, since
Code: Revise leads up to Killer Queen, and wraps up the loose ends in its ending.
All in all, an enjoyable BR-styled series.

2) Utatemeguri by FLAT

Yes, another FLAT title. This one would be higher if not for the fact that I have a bias towards SG :P
At the beginning, Utatemeguri isn't very special, and it handles everything in it's story rather average. (However, the fight scenes are precise in their description, so no random power-ups) The transition between day and night events are rather mediocre as well. But then everything changes when you reach the final chapter. I won't go into details, since expectations will only lead to disappointment in this title.

3) Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni- Dai Ichi Ya by 07th Expansion

The visual novel version of a rather lackluster manga. Unlike the manga, the VN version is far more subtle with a few events, but just as brutal. Some of the stories in this sometimes hit a bit too close to home for me and a friend who read it along with me, and then there's the fact that Marie and Higanbana are both very likeable characters, each in their own way. While the human characters didn't stand out too much for me, I have to applaud the way Yukari chugged through her situation, and especially when she finally took the initiative in the end.

fortissimo EXA//Akkord: bsusvier by La'Cryma

The makers of Da Capo make a F/SN styled game. However, unlike Nasu's stuff, fortissimo takes more from shounen manga than it does from VN's. The battle scenes have ridiculous powering-up, and it seems that someone is always keeping a move hidden until the very last second. Despite this, it's still a pretty fun read.

Saya no Uta by Nitro+

Still mindrapey, still horrifying, and I still love it.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

paraparadox
Projects: Six Fragment of Dreams

#47 Post by paraparadox »

Only Played English-translated title, don't know how to use atlas and unable to read japanese but well

1. Devil in G String
What could i say, this one is awesome. Especially the storyline. And the ending, and music.

2. Umineko Chiru
After read with no clue what the heck happening in When they cry 3, it's the moment "Oh, this is what they meant with THAT"
and somehow it's most influential VN so far. I mean, even when read/watch another fantasy title, i automatically seeks mystery explanation :D

3. True Remembrance
Yay, free VN, with opening Video, and awesome music, and amazing story.

4. Tsukihime
My third VN, and still one of favorites. Everything is good until the music comes.

5. Tegami/The Letter
Some jewel found in altogether site, a man time traveling(is this even the right explanation? dunno) to when his father still alive. nice heartwarming non-romance VN

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#48 Post by Coren »

FYI, I myself would still like all the games I listed if the genders were reversed except Saya no Uta. There something horrifying about a male eldrich abomination "blooming" (or it impregnating a human female to make her "bloom")
I love the idea of gender reversal and seeing if the story still works after fixing some gender-related things. Saya no Uta is one of those VNs you just can't imagine genderswapped even if you changed a bunch of stuff due to the plot devices, but it just made me want to genderbend it even more because well, it's a challenge. Also I bet Fuminori will make one pretty girl, heh.

For one, the sex will probably need to be completely eradicated for obvious reasons before Saya no Uta gets known as "that cosmic tentacle rape VN". Boy!Saya having sex with Girl!Fuminori and making her turn the world into tentacle monsters will be utterly disturbing (then again, Saya no Uta IS supposed to be disturbing, but this kind of goes over the line. As much as Saya no Uta is disturbing, it doesn't cross any lines which haven't been crossed before in VNs when it comes to sex, I think, so it'll be a big deal if it does).

Genderswapping Saya no Uta may actually turn the whole thing more PG. Boy!Saya will still need something from humans, but it clearly can't be what it used to be anymore. Instead, it could very well go the PG Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel route where Sakura needs Shirou's blood. Saya could similarly get some other form of nourishment that can allow him to turn the world into zombies. Who knows, maybe that'll work.

Also male eldritch abominations can bloom too! :)

_Shiro_
Regular
Projects: 6 days

Re: Top 5 Favorite Visual Novelsv

#49 Post by _Shiro_ »

My top 5 would be:

1) Fate/ Stay night:
Amazing sroryline plus great graphic, my 1st and most favorite VN.

2) Utawarerumono: Srpg/VN
Good gameplay, amazing storyline, and good graphic, i was moved to tear playing this.

3) Tear to tiara: Srpg/VN
Same as above, but as for why it's number 3, then it's because the character design is a bit off, but overall it's still a great game, i cant describe how emotional i got playing this game.

4) Saya no Uta
Beautiful love story right? I'm not a fan of horror but this one really captivated me, simply amazing. But the heavy atmosphere got me because i still was a newbie in VN at that time ( this is my 2nd VN ).

5) Tsukihime
Despite the minus point in graphic, it's still a great VN because of its amazing storyline, the reason why it's ranked last in my top 5is bacause i didn't really enjoy the Far side stories, especially Ciel's route ( it's only my personal opinion though ), but i truly enjoyed the rest of the VN, so that's why, number 5.

There are still many more, but if i had to pick my top 5, then there they are xD.

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

#50 Post by tnm6 »

1.) G-Senjou no Maou (the Devil on G-String)

2.) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn (I know these are also SPRGs, but the story telling is done VN style).

3.) Muv-Luv Alternative

4.) Katawa Shoujo

5.) Sharin no Kuni

deviltales
Regular

#51 Post by deviltales »

Ah, so many Visual Novels that sound so awesome.
1. Clannad;
Just awesomeness.
2.Magical Diary;
Cute and funny. Liked all the paths.
3.Cinders
IT IS indeed a serious take of a fairy-tale. Love it!
4.Witch/Knight
I played it idk how many times and I am still surprised *_*
5. Yo-Jin-Bo
It was good, not best, but still enjoy-able.

I feel so ashamed for not having played more than 1 or 2 Japanese VN's. Man, I would get a poper job if there were an English translation patch for Rewrite or Diabolik Lovers. Those 2 sound so awesome... *sigh*
Or, well, I could take Japanese lessons..
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

AxemRed
Veteran

#52 Post by AxemRed »

deviltales wrote:English translation patch for Rewrite
It was released back in January.

deviltales
Regular

#53 Post by deviltales »

AxemRed wrote:
deviltales wrote:English translation patch for Rewrite
It was released back in January.
Really O_O? Last time I checked, only a part of it was translated. Thank you :D !
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Moon20
Regular

#54 Post by Moon20 »

Mine top favorite VN are

1. Clannad
2. Kanon
3. wanko to kurasou
4. Rewrite
5. Litter Busters

I really loved these few games very much

hikaa212
Regular
Projects: Distant Dream

#55 Post by hikaa212 »

1) CLANNAD;
Nagisa's path really make me cry 10 tissues
and with ushio's scene as well
and it's the first VN I've ever played. lol.
2) Umineko No Naku Koro Ni;
I just love the mysteries. I also love how interesting the characters are. Battler, Beatrice, Erika and so on. :lol:
3) Steins;Gate;
Didn't watch the anime and I love the time-machine plot! :)
4) Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni;
same reason as umineko. I love the mysteries and I'm a big fan of 7th expansion as well.
5) Chaos;Head;
it's amazing, period.

and I'm planning to play Saya No Uta and Corpse Party Blood. Currently downloading Dangan Ronpa :D
"I hope that all of the choices I've made while wandering through the darkness might give everyone a ray of Light." - Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite.

tumblr | a blog about games
I'm useless, haha.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#56 Post by SilverxBlue »

Changing because I feel like my tastes in VNs have changed or something. @__@ 8D

Okay no, Ace Attorney and Higurashi are still there, but the rest while they still have a special place in my heart are replaced by...

1.) Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
I know a lot of people didn't really like it all that much and it wasn't as sad and horrifying as the first one, but to me, this one was seriously amazing and the way it gave more stories and scenes to people like Mayu, Morishige, Naho and Kizami and Co. makes it all the more fun and satisfying.

2.) The Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni series
I was just in it for the horror when I first read the first installment, but then the entire thing was just so compelling and I could relate too damn well with all the scenarios... And don't even get me started on the 'life lessons' it can give. And this game made me do a lot of research on youkai and stuff... and makes me wish my own school had their own eight legends. XD

3.) Shikkoku no Sharnoth
Had quite the slow beginning and I was almost close to just dropping the entire thing, but I'm glad I waited for everything to flesh out. It was worth it. It did give me a lot of Sherlock Holmes vibes and maybe that's the reason I liked it so much. XD

There's also Rose Guns and Days that I am immensely enjoying, but I haven't finished the entire thing yet so my opinion of it might change. It most likely will not though.... I think. ._.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Armee
Veteran

#57 Post by Armee »

deviltales wrote:Diabolik Lovers
I would "die" for it.:D Wonder how awkward it will be in English?

1.Shikkoku No Sharnoth
Like SilverxBlue said, the beginning was so long(at least for my taste). But over all it's a good story with a fine development on the plot.
2. ROSE GUN DAYS
The characters are freaking enjoyable. And I can't stop admiring Leo's personality. I would love for the translating of the next part. (I think there is one)
3.Fate/Stay Night
My first and so far the best one I have been playing. The plot amazed me and the art is simply wonderful.
4. True Rememberance
Second one and I found it while searching for more VN titles to play a long time ago. It have really good quality compare to a free VN.

SBG_Eric
Regular
Completed: Warhammer 40K (non-commercial MTG set), Tales of Symphonia (non-commercial MTG set)
Projects: Galactic Domain, Dragonfish Racers, *A Yet Unnamed Miniatures Wargame*
Organization: Sunbridge Games LLC
IRC Nick: SBG_Eric

#58 Post by SBG_Eric »

1. Katawa Shoujo
Age Rating: 18+; sexual content, drug & alcohol use, adult themes
Reasoning: Katawa Shoujo is always a great go-to when recommending a first visual novel to anyone. I may be a bit biased in that statement however since it's the number one game on my list, but I found this game to be a very enjoyable, emotionally moving read. While the stories are a bit shorter than some others they were done exceptionally well. The game has high levels of immersion and characters who the player can easily relate to. With such well written stories, I can't think of another that belongs at the number one position.

2. Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
Age Rating: 16+; drug and alcohol use, adult themes
Reasoning: Another game that belongs in my number one position. I acquired this visual novel off of Steam not to long ago and it has proved to have some of the most interesting, and sometimes thought provoking, story that I've read in a long time. Set in a unique environment, the story does an excellent job of developing the characters as the reader makes their decisions. Dysfunctional Systems features two distinct endings, which is significantly less than many other visual novels, however they are well done enough that I don't feel cheated by the pressing lack of content. A $5.99 Steam price tag also helps that a bit. This game calls itself "Episode 1" at points, but whether or not that means your ending will effect another game has yet to be seen. Much like "Episode 2".

3.Narcissu
Age Rating: 14+; adult themes
Reasoning: This was the second visual novel I ever read. It was the first to make me cry. Narcissu has an amazing story that everyone should experience for themselves at least once.

4. Kanon
Age Rating: 18+; sexual content, adult themes
Reasoning: Just another day at the office for the folks over at Key. Kanon is a touching, romantic story that follows one of 6 different paths. One is harder to get than the others. One you should go look up how to get (more to looking things up when we reach the next VN). That said, each path is long in its own respect and will give more than enough play time. The paths will also make you cry. A lot. Key's trademark emotional rollercoaster effect is in full swing in this game, starting of light... then getting darker... then getting, yea just darker for the most part. Don't expect a happy ending when playing this game, you likely won't get one.

5. Clannad
Age Rating: I honestly can't remember all the paths well enough to remember if there's sexual content. If there is: 18+; sexual content, adult themes. If there isn't: 14+; adult themes
Reasoning: Ok, where to start with this game. It's by Key, that seems like as god a place to start as any. It's very well written, all of it, and even the most mundane character's path is exceedingly touching. On that note... this game borders on to long and to difficult, simply due to the number of paths. There's over a dozen of them... 14 if my memory is correct. Everyone has their own story, and it can be infuriating to try to get them all in order to reach After Story. Look up paths if you get stuck, gamefaqs.com is your best friend in this game, and it's one of the main reasons this doesn't rank higher on my list. Clannad can easily be replaced in this number five position by Fate/Stay Night or Steins;Gate.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#59 Post by tiya_nofurita »

One year passed, and I should re-write my choice

1. Steins;Gate (best sci-fi/thriller VN I've read so far)
2. Guilty Crown : Lost Christmas (damn it I was hooked from the very first time I read it but i can't read Japanese so someone please translate it soon before I graduate! :( )
3. DanganRonpa :Hope's Academy and Despair Students (technically not a pure VN but it's still story-based. Interesting gameplay)
4. Infinity Series (Remember 11, Ever 17, and never 7 in respective order)
5. Eve : Burst Error (very old VN with annoying control but it's still worth to read)
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

TheGreatTheorist

#60 Post by TheGreatTheorist »

Is it free to choose? Then I shall present you my top 5!

1. ToHeart2

It's the reason of why I started creating my own visual novel, 18+ for "extra" content.

2. Fate/Stay Night

I like the story, alas I can't get past it easily.

3. Homeward

The story is simple, but so far is the most realistic one for me.

4. Da Capo 2

Don't ask me why, I wondered why myself.

5. Planetarian

I got busier recently, so Planetarian is the best choice among short KNs.