Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

Re: Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

#16 Post by DragoonHP »

Umm... I don't remember much... but if my memory serves me correct, I couldn't associate with the main character...
Sure he was quite different from your cliche MC's but the way he said things was something I couldn't understand... the may the SN starts and how the conservation topic shifted was uncomfortable for me since Io couldn't quite grasp it...
And what I also remember is a scene with two women and a man... and that was the only scene I understood... but it wasn't enough to bind me to the game...

But of course what I said above can be quite wrong since I had played many wonderful VN's since then and my memory is very cloudy... but well, I'll give it a try when I get some spare time on my hands...

PS: Is the English patch fixed? I remember the word wrapping not working correctly in the patch that I had...

Crusher
Regular

#17 Post by Crusher »

Well, it's only that confusing in the beginning and it's meant to be. This is how his world is - he can hardly understand all the blabbering of his friends and doesn't really try to listen anymore since he is disgusted by them anyway.
My translation was quite good. Sometimes there were yen-symbols or something like that that didn't make any sense, but everything was readable and translated.

ratratrat098

#18 Post by ratratrat098 »

Favorite VN's:

5. Galaxy Angel Series
http://vndb.org/v860

I don't want to put all three on the list so that I could add more games. I like Ranfa's route, and I think she is the type of girl I want to have as a girlfriend. The game elements is quite addictive and realtime tactics games are rare.

4. Fate/Stay Night

http://vndb.org/v11

I really like the story and style of writing. It has infodumping but its one of the best things about reading stories.

3. Tsukihime
http://vndb.org/v7

I'm really a Typemoon fanboy, right? What I like about Tsukihime is the ambiance and the story. The music is a bit boring and the art seems amateurish but hell, VN is all about the story.

2. G-senjou no Maou
http://vndb.org/v211

The true ending made me shed manly tears. The story is interesting though some side-routes or other plots are not improved or lacks attention. This game has the best soundtrack.

1. Ever17 -the out of infinity-
http://vndb.org/v17

Has the best story, and has a crazy twist. Most recommended visual novel to be read.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by HigurashiKira »

Tenxinori wrote:1.Hiiro no kakera
Awesome art+ bishies+ cool plot
2.Garnet Cradle
Awesome art+ pretty interesting plot+ bishies *_*
3.Starry Sky
Dynamic+bishies
4.Yo Jin Bo
Interesting plot+Bishies
(This question may seem rude) Looking over this, would you still like these games if the genders were reversed (as well as fixing certain gender-related things) but kept their same overall artstyle, story, and gameplay? Or would you say "yech, another generic bishoujo game"? (Please answer honestly)
FYI, I myself would still like all the games I listed if the genders were reversed except Saya no Uta. There something horrifying about a male eldrich abomination "blooming" (or it impregnating a human female to make her "bloom")
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#20 Post by Omnificent »

I won't put down any OELVNs, as there is now sort-of a thread for that elsewhere.

1. Narcissu- Technically a KN, no epic battles, no dynamic heroes or Lovecraftian horrors, just a plain good realistic, bittersweet, nostalgic road-trip story about two people with nothing to lose. It hooked me in with its contemplative atmosphere, and made me think afterwards.

2. Fate/Stay Night- The epic battles and memorable characters + the impressive world-building and philosophical element make this one of my all-time favorites. Both Emiya Shirou and every secondary character show new facets of themselves across each route.

3. Saya no Uta- I like a well-done horror story with moral ambiguity, twisted love, and slow spirals into madness every now and then. This is the only horror VN I have ever read, but I'm pretty sure I would be hard-pressed to find one that can match up to it. All of the endings are satisfying in their own way.

4. OMGWTFOTL- You know what else I like? Comedy. Never genuflect, never surrender.

5. It's a tough call between G-Senjou and Ever17. Both have relatively weak starting routes with a highly-satisfying final route to tie it all together, but I'll probably have to go with Ever17. I feel as though the supporting cast of Ever17 was tied into the ending much more neatly in the latter. Plus, Karma.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#21 Post by SilverxBlue »

HigurashiKira wrote:
FYI, I myself would still like all the games I listed if the genders were reversed except Saya no Uta. There something horrifying about a male eldrich abomination "blooming" (or it impregnating a human female to make her "bloom")
*Shudders at the thought of said (Perhaps shota) boy being raped by an older woman, and groping another man before turning him into something that looks like him*
God damn it! Now I'm actually thinking what it would be like if Saya does become a boy and Fuminori turns into a girl. O_O
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#22 Post by Omnificent »

Fate/stay night was actually supposed to have a female protagonist and male Saber originally. That would have been interesting in its own right.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Celestie
Veteran

#23 Post by Celestie »

HigurashiKira wrote: (This question may seem rude) Looking over this, would you still like these games if the genders were reversed (as well as fixing certain gender-related things) but kept their same overall artstyle, story, and gameplay? Or would you say "yech, another generic bishoujo game"? (Please answer honestly)
...well, I am not the one you are asking this, but since I find the question intriguing....
Hm, since I, too, would list Starry Sky amongst my favorites, I'd say, yes, I'd play the game if the gender was reversed. Partly because the characters are HIGHLY interesting, especially whne tehy interact amongst each otehr and stuff, partly because I just adore and love the art style by Kazuaki, I'd play whatever she illustrates. The plot itself is quite boring, what keeps me palying is the art style and the interesting characters so yes, for Starry Sky I'd even play it of it was a normal harem game. The idea of male!Tsukiko and the guys as girls is pretty awesome, too xD Not quite what you asked, but...
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by HigurashiKira »

Celestie wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote: (This question may seem rude) Looking over this, would you still like these games if the genders were reversed (as well as fixing certain gender-related things) but kept their same overall artstyle, story, and gameplay? Or would you say "yech, another generic bishoujo game"? (Please answer honestly)
...well, I am not the one you are asking this, but since I find the question intriguing....
Hm, since I, too, would list Starry Sky amongst my favorites, I'd say, yes, I'd play the game if the gender was reversed. Partly because the characters are HIGHLY interesting, especially whne tehy interact amongst each otehr and stuff, partly because I just adore and love the art style by Kazuaki, I'd play whatever she illustrates. The plot itself is quite boring, what keeps me palying is the art style and the interesting characters so yes, for Starry Sky I'd even play it of it was a normal harem game. The idea of male!Tsukiko and the guys as girls is pretty awesome, too xD Not quite what you asked, but...
What I'm asking is that if all those otome games were instead published as bishoujo games, but with everything they liked about the games (minus the bishies), would they still enjoy the game as they do now, or would they instead ignore it and pass it off as another generic bishoujo game.

Fact is, otome games are really just gender-flipped bishoujo games with the H removoed. Of course, no one will admit this, and they'll probably say I'm wrong, but it's true.

Celestie
Veteran

#25 Post by Celestie »

HigurashiKira wrote: Fact is, otome games are really just gender-flipped bishoujo games with the H removoed. Of course, no one will admit this, and they'll probably say I'm wrong, but it's true.
B-but it IS true, and I fully admit that. And probably, if not for Kazuaki's/really pretty art, I couldn't care less for the games if they were genderflipped and stuff. But that's because, well, their audience target is not girls but boys then and I need my portion of bishounen....xDDD Oh, but according to many game reviews, otome game with H-scenes can be just as terribel as the bishoujo-H-games....it all revolves aroudn mindless sex/rape. So THAT would be definitely be a genderflipped version of the other...and...I really wouldn't be interested the least bit if the games were genderflipped to bishoujo-genre, sad as that. xD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by HigurashiKira »

Celestie wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote: Fact is, otome games are really just gender-flipped bishoujo games with the H removoed. Of course, no one will admit this, and they'll probably say I'm wrong, but it's true.
B-but it IS true, and I fully admit that. And probably, if not for Kazuaki's/really pretty art, I couldn't care less for the games if they were genderflipped and stuff. But that's because, well, their audience target is not girls but boys then and I need my portion of bishounen....xDDD Oh, but according to many game reviews, otome game with H-scenes can be just as terribel as the bishoujo-H-games....it all revolves aroudn mindless sex/rape. So THAT would be definitely be a genderflipped version of the other...and...I really wouldn't be interested the least bit if the games were genderflipped to bishoujo-genre, sad as that. xD
I never said I didn't believe you, I was just clarifying the question ^^;

I wonder if Otome H-Scenes talk about seafood as much as regular H-Games do....
Now I wish Nasu would have kept a female MC for FSN just to laugh at how he might write the H-Scenes

Meg'
Regular
Projects: Anges Démoniaques, Gang (Alex & Hugo), Le passé dans les veines

#27 Post by Meg' »

My favorite VN are :

- Tokimeki Memorial 1st story
- Tokimeki Memorial 2nd season
- Hiiro no kakera
- Starry Sky
- Princess Debut

Well, there aren't much VN in english... But I'm crazy enough to play game in japanese even though I don't even understand the half of it. Just a little of the sentences I hear :mrgreen:

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Riviera »

1. Ever 17. No question in my mind. I love the plot so very much. The music is stellar (I keep the soundtrack on my ipod), and I thought the effects were rather good for its time.

2. Garnet Cradle. The storyline, I thought, was very interesting, and I very much liked the arabian backdrop and art style. The art, oh the art. The art is mind-blowingly beautiful.

3. Fate/Stay Night & Tsukihime. They tie because they do have a very similar feel (duh, same guy created them). I very much liked the ties with mythology and legends that Fate had, and the crazy psychosis in Tsuki.

4. Heart no Kuni no Alice. The protagonist is interesting, and the story/world is fantastic. I really like how it's set up.. there's not a lot more I can say. The fact that it's based on Alice in Wonderland just makes it that much better.

5. Yo-Jin-Bo: The Bodyguards. The voicing and music are amazing, the art is nice, the plot is a bit cliche but done well, and the humor, oh the humor. It's hard to find a more cracktastic game than YJB. This game makes me laugh pretty much every single time I play it, and I love it for that.

Honorary Mention: Piece of Wonder. I constantly forget the name of this game, but I never, ever forget some of the things that happened in it. This game had some scenes in it that nearly made me cry, they just touched me that much. It is a combination RPG/VN, and it did both of them remarkably well. I played every single route and found something to enjoy in all of them.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#29 Post by teacup »

1 – 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors
No others compete <3 I fell in love with this game months ago and am still obsessed with it, to the point where listening to these two particular songs makes me cry without fail. LOVE
2 – Gakuen Tokkyuu Hotokenser
Has a special place in my heart because it’s the first game I completed fully in Japanese, putting my Japanese skills to the test. ^-^ It’s also hilarious, one of the few games to make me laugh until I’m in pain. It's awesome. XD
3 – Ever17 -the out of infinity-
Well I played this after 999 so I’m a bit biased. I really thought this is a great game too, however, some parts were WAY too slow for me, and I got bored. But the endings and twists are worth the boring beginning.
4 – Narcissu
My first VN ever played. I didn’t even know what a VN was while playing it, but it was one of those heartbreaking games that stick in your head for a long time.
5 – Yume Miru Kusuri
Okay, so I only liked 2 of the 3 routes, but the 2 I liked made me cry. It’s a really touching game… and also, my first H-game experience.

Saya no Uta was also really good, but I can’t call a disturbing game like that a favorite. The experience was interesting but I definitely wouldn’t play it again ;-;”

Celestie
Veteran

#30 Post by Celestie »

HigurashiKira wrote: I never said I didn't believe you, I was just clarifying the question ^^;
I just really felt the need to/I kinda felt like I owed you a reply, a proper one if I alerady decide to answer your question in a way xD

Well, I never seem to make up my mind for a proper 5-favorite-VN-ranking, but does anyone know the free VN Night of the Forget-be-Nots? I...loved it. It was a horror visual novel with such a sad, bittersweet ending, i swear *A* Well, you didn't get to know teh deal of the game until you got the proper end, but I loved it, even though it was less about the visuals, more about texts and sound effects and it was really short but...it will always be one of my favorite VNs~