Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

#1 Post by HigurashiKira »

Ok, my curiocity has gotten the better of me and I want to know what is LSF's top 5 VN's
(Bonus points if you can explain why they are on top)

HK's Top 5 Visual Novels
1-Killer Queen (Secret Game -Killer Queen-)
Age Rating: 18+ (for violence and sexual content)
Where to start....well, for one the characters are not only believable, they're all evil. Everyone in this game has their own goals and they're not afraid to kill each other to reach them. (This is much more noticable in the 2nd arc of the game and in it's remake) Second, the main character isn't a spineless weakling, in fact he's
terribly depressed. His modus operandi is not only to protect the weaker characters, but for him to die.
he also has much more character, although he is faceless through the game I can still feel like he's his own character, not a player avatar.

2-Corpse Party:Blood Covered
Age rating: 16+ for violence
Perhaps one of the few games that could compete with Higurashi in cute character art and High Octane Nightmare Fuel Trust me, this game will leave you sleepless. Also, the game deconstructs the typical tsundere by turning it into a major character flaw. While there is gore, it really isn't that graphic (unless you're playing the PSP port, in which case keep the lights on)

3-ChäoS;HEAd
Age Rating: 15+ for some eiichi content and violence
Ok, quick question: how many VN's do you know star a borderline hikkimori otaku? Answer: 1
Chaos;Head gives us Takumi Nishijo who, along with his hikkimori status, is
insane
The game presents choices in an odd manner; at key points you can see one of Takumi's dellusions. Some of these are hilarious and tend to poke fun at erouge games, while others are downright horryfing and fit for nightmares. Also, the narrative feels like you're reading Takumi's mind; there's a lot of emotion in his narration.

4-Saya no Uta
Age Rating: 18+ for adult content, blood, and gore
I'll put it simply: It felt like my mind was violated...and I liked it.

5-Narcissu
Age Rating: 10+ for some disturbing content
This game...this was my first real visual novel. It was also the first time I ever shed manly tears while playing a game. There's really no easy way to describe it without showing you why it's so great. If you have not read this, stop what you're doing and go read it.
Last edited by HigurashiKira on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Top 5 Favorite Visual Novels

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

1. Kana Imouto (Kana - Little Sister)
Age rating: 18+ for sexual content... which the game could absolutely live without
Well, what can I say? This is the game that convinced me that visual novels had more to offer than just fap material. I came for the pr0n, I stayed for the tears. Kana is the original nakige, a game that has the purpose to make you cry, and it does its job wonderfully. No great mysteries to solve here, no spectacular violence, just the act of slowly watching a person die from chronic renal insufficiency makes for one of the most beautiful stories ever told.

2. Kanon
Age rating: 18+ for sexual content... well, what did you expect from a VN by Key?
Uguu! This title is an early testament to the quality of visual novels by Key, who have yet failed to deliver a single piece of work that isn't awesome. A mystey plot with many supernatural elements at heart, this story draws its power from the fact that the protagonist apparently doesn't remember the town he grew up only a few years ago - and makes the event that caused him to forget the central mystery of the story. Lots of beautiful, sad stories are revealed in the multiple playthroughs, and only one of them ends truly well. (And it's not the "True Ending"...)

3. Ori, Ochi, Onoe
Age rating: 17+ for adult situations (though no real nudity)
In my opinion simply the best piece of art mikey created, and the proof that non-commercial VNs can tell stories every bit as well as commercial ones, if not even better. A mystery story that cloaks itself as the story of a relationship in crisis, and one where the eventual solution will probably leave you with your mouth standing open. The best thing is, there are hidden messages in the music of the game that reveal some of the mysteries early on... if you know how to decode them...

4. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Age rating: Teen
Don't give me a "that's not a VN" just because it has a tiny bit of gameplay aside from the dialogues! The third part of the Ace Attorney series absolutely outshines the rest with a series of stories that doesn't have a single dud, even stranger characters than the other parts, an absolutely brilliantly crafted final plot and EVENTUALLY a serious love interest for Phoenix Wright! The unparalleled mix of wacky humor and dead-serious murder plots makes this game a true winner.

5. To Heart - Remember my memories
Age rating: 18+ for sexual content
I cannot name a Key title in this list and not name a Leaf title, and To Heart is probably the most classic of VNs. It's an almost classic eroge in the sense that you're trying to get into relationships with the eight attainable characters of the game, but what other game allows you to choose between a witch (including pointy hat and broomstick) and a robot maid? Also, the individual plots of all heroines are less conventional than you might think from the high school setting. So if you have to play a classic eroge, there's hardly a better one than this.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

CKSqua

#3 Post by CKSqua »

Remember 11 (Kokoro scenario)
Phantom of Inferno
EVE Burst Error
Symphonic Rain (story is nothing special, but the music makes it worthwhile)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I'm not the biggest fan of heavy melodrama or high school romance, so some of the other games don't appeal to me as much as they ought to.

Arkon
Regular

#4 Post by Arkon »

1) Anti Demon Ninja Asagi
2) YinYang: Another X-Change
3) Ever 17
4) Nocturnal Ilusions
5) Prison Battleship

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#5 Post by Blane Doyle »

YESH, I have to pick only 5?

... well... I don't think I can do that. I'll do 5 for translated Japanese VNs and 5 for OELVN. I have a hard time finding tops for both in the first place! These are just the ones I played and enjoyed the most, I have a lot more on my to play list. I won't really go into detail though.

Translated VN
5) Saya no Uta
(18+)
What can I say, I love Lovecraftian horror, and this IS Lovecraftian horror.

4) Higurashi
I don't really know why I love this series so much... but it's just unsettling in that "Oh man this is really creepy" kind of way. I LOVE horror involving children, that makes it so much scarier. Though I tend to play with the music and graphic patch....

3) Kara no Shoujo
(18+)
I think describe this game here: "It likes to kick you in the balls"
I am a sucker for mystery, and this is one damn good mystery if I say so.

2) Ace Attorney
THIS series REALLY got me into VNs! I love the small addition of gameplay and how simple everything is, but in the end it's so complex you wonder how they managed to imagine something so large! The third game in particular is GOLD. And not to mention it is rather hilarious.

1) 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS GAME GET IT NOW. JUST DO IT. BUY IT. AND PLAY IT. THIS GAME IS AMAZING.
It's just the right mix of VN narrative and adventure game play, it's just... AMAZING! I can't say much about the story, I'm afraid I'd spoil it!

OELVN
5) Hotel Dusk
Yes, this is an English VN. AND IT IS WOW. I can hardly understand some things that happened in it, the story is so interesting and complex. I highly recommend this to anyone with a DS.

4) Jisei/Kansei
I have to list these together for some reason. These games are just amazing, simply amazing, if far too short. I especially like the story and the ENGLISH voice acting, that is a very nice touch!

3) Re:Alistar++
I am a sucker for English otome games, and freeware games... This mixes both of those together in with a VERY interesting story! It's not as good as Jisei and Kansei, but the length and characters make it just a bit higher for me personally.

2) don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story
I went into this game blind, not expecting much because of the title... BOY WAS I WRONG. This game is... surprisingly deep and dark... This game was a surprise for me and if you want a surprisingly interesting story, I think you should check it out.

1) Magical Diary: Horse Hall
...... I have no words to describe how much I ADORE THIS GAME. It's just so much fun! IT'S SO ADDICTING TOO! It's WELL worth the price and the storylines, THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN and one in particular was so well written I wanted to go back and play it IMMEDIATELY after I finished it. Anyone who likes otome (or Yuri) games needs to pick this up, it's well worth it.
(Guys, a sequel is coming out for you)

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#6 Post by Dollywitch »

I don't think Hotel Dusk is an OELVN?

Tenxinori
Regular
Completed: Pure Tears (GxB Otome)

#7 Post by Tenxinori »

1.Hiiro no kakera
Awesome art+ bishies+ cool plot
2.Garnet Cradle
Awesome art+ pretty interesting plot+ bishies *_*
3.Starry Sky
Dynamic+bishies
4.Yo Jin Bo
Interesting plot+Bishies
5.Date Warp
Loved the mystery+catchy summary

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Dollywitch wrote:I don't think Hotel Dusk is an OELVN?
You're right about that: Original title was "Wisshu Rūmu: Tenshi no Kioku", same producers as "Another Code".

Are there any commercial OELVNs this side of "Heavy Rain"?
More about me in my blog

Crusher
Regular

#9 Post by Crusher »

HigurashiKira wrote: 4-Saya no Uta

I'll put it simply: It felt like my mind was violated...and I liked it.
I can really relate to that. That was the strangest experience I had with a novel so far. When I finished it I was kind of unsure what to think about it. Not only was it disturbing as hell, it went into a surprisingly emotional direction. What I didn't like were the sex and rape scenes because that was just too much for me with the childish appearance of Saya. There are things that just don't have room in anything in my opinion. However, the whole thing stuck in my head. And with each passing day I realized that this novel made something only very few things manage to do: It made me think about it long after I finished it. Looking back now I can say that this is possibly one of the greatest experiences I ever had. Not only is your mind violated like you said, it also has a strange kind of beauty and sadness, although Fuminori is possibly the biggest asshole of all time. I also liked the playing with both perspectives in some scenes - it really helped to understand the situation he is in. The breaking up with his friend for example - from the perspective of You it seemed cold as hell, but seeing it from his perspective made it much more natural.
Plus a superb soundtrack, Silent Sorrow is such a beautiful track!

Since I didn't read much more than 5 Novels I personally can't make a list :D.

Seven
Regular

#10 Post by Seven »

1.Hiiro no Kakera: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou Portable
2.Arcobaleno
3.Moujuutsukai to Oujisama Portable
4.Wand of Fortune 2 Jikuu ni Shizumu Mokujiroku
5.Shikkoku no Sharnoth - What a Beautiful Tomorrow

Gambit74
Regular

#11 Post by Gambit74 »

I haven't read very many yet since it's difficult to find any good translated titles in the genre I'm into, but here are my top 5 for the PC nonetheless, descending in the order from last played to first played.

1. Kara no Shoujo

Although I'm somewhat saddened that they killed off one of my favorite characters and left the canon ending unresolved, it was great and got very disturbing during the murder scenes.

2. Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

Although I didn't enjoy it as much as Higurashi, it was still mind disturbingly awesome. I'm still waiting for Ep 8 to finish translating so that I can move on to Chiru since I don't want to get the game twice.

3. Higurashi When They Cry

Still one of my top 3 visual novels for the PC simply because of how it was pulled off. At first I thought I was playing some sort of slice of life game, only to find out the cruel fate that awaits everyone later. Though as a mystery lover, I didn't like how
they didn't explain why Keiichi and others were able to know something from a parallel world.
4. Fate/Stay Night

I liked this one a lot the first time, but for some reason I can't get myself to read it all the way through again a second time like I did with the others. Still, it was good even after Higurashi and others came along.

5. Tsukihime + Plus Disc and Kagetsu Tohya

My first visual novel and probably will be my #1 favorite for a long time. Although the writing is outdated by the more modern vns, I still consider it my #1 particularly because of Hisui <3, it was the vn that got me to look for more for the PC, and I also really enjoyed all the heroines' backstory as well as their route and endings.

As for my top 5 on other systems outside the PC, here are mine in the order from most favorite to least:

1. Ace Attorney series

The games that got me into the genre in the first place :) . Although I see it more as an adventure game rather than a visual novel now, the fact that it plays like one is what appealed to me most when I first got it since it was a nice change of pace from RPGs and whatnot. All the finger pointing actions in the court room and pop cultural references really makes it one of the best series in this genre out there.

2. Hotel Dusk + Last Window

I really liked how they did the character animations in this one, as well as the art style. Not only does it bring out the game's noir-like atmosphere, but it was very unique and well-pulled off. The story makes the games even more wonderful since it keeps you on your toes, wondering how everything is going to turn out.

3. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the characters and the atmosphere in this game, even if a lot of the mathematical puzzles gave me a huge headache. I was always on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next, considering anything can happen in their situation. I'm hoping the sequel will be just as good.

4. Famicom Tantei Club II

One of the very first visual novels I've played right after Ace Attorney's Justice For All, and it was on the SNES! I really liked the twists they provided throughout the game, as well as how discreet the criminal kept themself from you. Though, it's a shame that I will probably never get to play the first one (In which the story takes place after this one) due to lack of a fan translation.

5. Time Hollow

Well, I didn't really know what else to put here but yeah. Despite how little use you get out of the hollow pen, the game and its story was still interesting to read. One of my friends enjoyed it greatly even though he never got the chance to finish it, and he's never read any visual novels before.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#12 Post by SilverxBlue »

Here's mine in no particular order. But I certainly am sure that this is my top 5.

1.) Nine hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors -
I'm a big puzzle freak, so Puzzles + VNs would be an insta-win for me. And besides, this has got to be one of the most epic DS games I have ever played. (Right next to Ace Attorney, of course.)

2.) Higurashi When they Cry. (Most specifically the second and third arc, watanagashi-hen/tatarigoroshi-hen.)
I didn't really have that much time to play it on my PC and i didn't find it interesting at first, but since I got an iPhone for my birthday, I decided to buy this on itunes. And I never regretted it.

3.) Yo-Jin-Bo -
Okay, this has got to be my all time favorite otome game. All those ridiculous jokes and puns has got me laughing out loud through all of my playthroughs.

4.) Ace Attorney series -
ImageImageImage
My first ever VNs for my DS, at first I thought this would be boring since I never really was a big fan of Capcom's games but ever since I started playing it, I never got enough of it.
And please, to anyone who hasn't played this and has a DS, play it. Now. Like, seriously, PLAY IT!

5.) Fatal Hearts -
Like I said earlier, Puzzles + VN = insta-win for me.

I would have liked Saya no Uta but... It took the last bit of innocence I have. It gave me quite a few sleepless nights and it's the main reason why I tend to avoid 18+ VNs now. ;__: Yes, yes.. I'm a puny, weakling who can't handle these kinds of VNs... Now stop judging me!
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Gambit74 wrote:3. Higurashi When They Cry

Still one of my top 3 visual novels for the PC simply because of how it was pulled off. At first I thought I was playing some sort of slice of life game, only to find out the cruel fate that awaits everyone later. Though as a mystery lover, I didn't like how
they didn't explain why Keiichi and others were able to know something from a parallel world.
*ahem*
It's not really a parallel world. It's more like "Groundhog Day"; the same events over and over again, with a god resetting everything back to the start when it goes wrong and one character retaining all experience she makes herself. And the more iterations the world goes through, the more likely are the other characters to remember some of the events as well. Of course, each iteration weakens the god a little... until maybe, one day, she cannot reset the world again...
More about me in my blog

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#14 Post by DragoonHP »

Saya no Uta
Saya no Uta
Saya no Uta
Saya no Uta
Saya no Uta
Saya no Uta
So many Saya Na Uta fans here... now I feel almost idiotic, dropping it after playing for ten minutes...
I think I will have to play the game...

I will divide my list for -18 and +18 VNs...

Anyway... my favourite all age five VN/KS: (in no particular order)

--> Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume
It is one of the best KN I have played till date and one of the reason why I am so into KN's... :-p
Wiki

--> Ever17: The Out of Infinity
Well seriously... this game does not even need any introduction... almost every VN player have given it a try (whether they liked it or not is their personnel preference...)
Wiki

--> Narcissu
One of the tearjerkers out there... and it was a tearjerker when the author tried his best to make the scenes and the character development stoic...(I don't think it is a right way to describe it... but oh well...)
And the best thing it is free... :-p
Wiki

--> True Remembrance
Play it... play it... just play it... It's a KN localised by Insani (they also localised Narcissu and if I'm not wrong Planetarium)
And its free... it's a pity insani don't localise VN's any more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Remembrance

--> Moonshine
It's a rather unknown KN... It is localised by Insani... and just wonderful...
Gie it a try if you have time... it just asks for 2 hours of your life... (sorry if it came out as cryptic... but that''s what my heart spoke... :-p)
VNDB

(More titles that I liked: Remember11, May Sky, Ballad of a Butterfly (dark themed, single choice VN)... ah... still waiting for the localisation of Never7)

Favourite Five +18 VNs:

--> Private Nurse
The very first eroge I played... and possibly my all time favourite...
Ah... I have already played it three times but it never stops to amaze me...
VNDB

--> Kana Imouto (Kana - Little Sister)
Possibly one of the best eroge VN out there...
Wiki

--> Desire
What can I say (well... for someone who has bothered to continue til now... it wouldn't be a surprise... :-p)
It's a classic C's Ware game... although a KN with the old school Point and Click system... but it is still awesome... when you will finish the game... your hearts gonna cry... if you manage to stop the tears from your eyes...
This is one of the game which makes you go... that's unfair...
Enough said...
VNDB

--> Divi Dead
I'm just gonna ask you two questions...
Are you into Horror?
And does wonderful plot intrigue you?
If you answered yes to any of the questions... (and plus point to you if you answered you to both), play it... and to someone who answered no to those questions, still play it...
It's one of the best C's Ware games... after Desire of course...
It was the first C's Ware game I played and it turned me into C's Ware fan boy...
VNDB

--> Quartett
A VN based on music and any music lover is going to love it...
The choices are not very hard... but still as a game, it rocks...
And one of the plus point of this game, according to me is its none-traditional art...
VNDB

(My slots finished already... oh well... ;'-(... but if cheating is allowed... G-senjou no Maou, Tsukihime and Princess Waltz... :-p)

Edited: Fixed some images...
Last edited by DragoonHP on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusher
Regular

#15 Post by Crusher »

DragoonHP wrote: So many Saya Na Uta fans here... now I feel almost idiotic, dropping it after playing for ten minutes...
Why that? I was captivated from the first minute.