Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward [999 Sequel!]

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward [999 Sequel!]

#1 Post by CheeryMoya »

Characters
Screenshots:
Some from the game
Dead people!

Articles:
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward Announcement (Aksys Annoucement)
Good People Die Headed To North America As "Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward" (Siliconera)

So my friend and I were chatting about VNs and such during lunch today, and she told me that there was an announced sequel to 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I refused to believe her, especially since I hadn't heard anyone talk about it on LSF. So when I came home, she sent me the links and proved me wrong. Boy, this game is looking as mindscrewy as the first one already :D

Like the last game, there are a total of 9 characters in this Nonary Game. Returning from the first are Yotsuba (Clover) and the ever mysterious Alice, but I'm not sure if anyone else will appear for a cameo. My friend also told me that these features have been decided as well.
  • 24 Endings in total
  • Ending changes depending on decisions players make
  • Endings also change depending on who loses their lives and who doesn't
  • Scenario lock system locks some routes until Sigma can fulfill certain requirements
  • Replay the game and Sigma retains his memories because he is from a parallel world
  • Two difficulty levels, hard and easy
  • Characters will give you hints in easy mode
  • Block pushing puzzles have been added as a mini-game
  • Goal is to escape from a mysterious facility
  • 'Novel' and 'Escape' parts of the game
  • Novel portion offers selections that change the story
  • Game shows you a flow chart of the story's paths as you play
  • Flow chart shows locked paths that can be opened by branching into alternate stories
Anyone else excited for this? The release date for North America is slated for October 23 of this year, and it'll be released for both the 3DS and PlayStation Vita.
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die [999 Sequel!]

#2 Post by papillon »

3d characters and on systems I don't own. Meh.

(I heard the vita isn't region-locked so there's a SLIM chance i might get one someday...)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#3 Post by Blane Doyle »

I am not exactly excited about the 3D models, but I was planning on buying one or both of the systems anyway. This just makes me even more excited! I loved 999, and when the sequel was announced I was VERY excited! I hope they bring it over.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#4 Post by teacup »

YES!! I've been following progress on this ever since I heard about it several months ago. XD
I'll be getting a 3DS in a few months, and this game is one of the primary reasons for that.
I am not exactly excited about the 3D models
Same here... I was a bit disappointed when I saw that they weren't keeping the same art style as the first game, probably because I tend to believe if something isn't broken, don't fix/change it. It also kinda ruins the "serious" atmosphere for me because the characters look too cute in 3D. It'll take some getting used to for sure.
I'm really excited that the characters are voiced, though. :'D
I'm a HUGE 999 fan so... yeah. I'm excited as hell. I already have my list of theories. >:]]

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#5 Post by icebluehost »

I've heard of this already from a friend who was the one who introduced me to the first game. XD Yeah, a lot of questions pop into my mind and I really wanna know what happens or why they're being thrown into another game and all that.

There's also a new twist in the Nonary game, in case some don't know yet. The game itself is going to be different than the first one in 999. They'll still have the bracelet with the numbers on them but if I remember correctly the numbers represent your HP instead of being a specific number. If it reaches 0 you die.

Then there's also the part where you have to solve puzzles together with a partner. And at the end of the puzzle, once you solved it, you're forced to choose either to "trust" or "betray" your partner (not sure if the terms are correct but the idea is correct). So if you decide to betray, and your partner decides to trust you, two points (not sure how many points) go to you. The same goes if it happens the other way around. If the both of you choose to trust then you each get 1 point. And if you both betray you get none (not sure of this last one). The reaction of your partner changes/varies and it also depends on who you chose to partner with, which makes the game a lot more challenging and interesting.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not entirely sure of these facts but I think I've got the gist of it more or less. XD Can't wait for this one to come out.

Seven
Regular

#6 Post by Seven »

Yeah !!! Is this really the sequel of 999 ?! I really love 999 , but its sequel is only in Japanese for now... :( Alice looks even blacker in this game :|
Anyway , can't wait for this to come out , although I dislike 3-D :D

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#7 Post by manga_otaku »

icebluehost wrote:There's also a new twist in the Nonary game, in case some don't know yet. The game itself is going to be different than the first one in 999. They'll still have the bracelet with the numbers on them but if I remember correctly the numbers represent your HP instead of being a specific number. If it reaches 0 you die.
You need to collect points and earn 9 points to escape. I think you all start with 3 points and build up from that.

3D characters kind of put me off since the realism is too much. I loved 999 and it creeped me out - the music, storyline and the character art? Moreover the whole digital roots thing was amazing too. Still haven't finished it since I've been busy but...I will one day!

Still, good to hear about a sequel :)
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

B E A N
Regular
Projects: Secret Agenda, Maid Mansion
Organization: Hot Coffee Entertainment

#8 Post by B E A N »

I'm not worrying much about the 3D. I mean, it's on the 3DS, so why not make full use of the li'l console's power?

And really, 3D can look good these days. A bit of it looks like real acting already. Real acting by unreal people, yes, but if done well...

That much said, if the game successfully manages to do what 999 couldn't - present a satisfying good ending that brings everything together - I'm SO getting this.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Seems like I'm the only person who won't be expecting this. :/

Okay, hold your horses people. I'm saying this not because I hated the first game but because, 3DS is just something I won't bother buying in the near future. Sure, the voice system is tempting but I guess the fact that it would be released in a console I don't own is a downer. Not even the endorsement of arashi on CMs can urge me to buy that eye-straining console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSRdrJg4WU&noredirect=1
My experience with my 3D phone was enough to turn me off about anything 3D.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#10 Post by Joey »

Actually looking forward to this even though I don't own a 3DS atm (holding out till they release a Lite version fixing stuff like battery life) :'D I really liked 999's escape the room gameplay, though I kind of hated the way some parts of the story played out, like the unnatural way characters would randomly spew bits of trivia ._. Hopefully the new rooms they put in are a bit more challenging...

I'm not that put off by the 3D, it reminds me of a Korean MMO lol. And why not use 3D graphics on a console meant for them?

I love the main character this time round :Q____ He looks a whole lot more manlier than skinny Jumpy, who was basically the typical BxG hero... Gonna read his profile now ^^

Edit: Read the prologue given on the site, apparently at the start of the game Sigma wakes up and finds himself in an elevator that's going to fall, so I guess that's the first escape sequence. The game they're playing is called the Ambidex Game, no idea what that means. o.o
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#11 Post by teacup »

OtomeWeekend wrote:Seems like I'm the only person who won't be expecting this. :/

Okay, hold your horses people. I'm saying this not because I hated the first game but because, 3DS is just something I won't bother buying in the near future. Sure, the voice system is tempting but I guess the fact that it would be released in a console I don't own is a downer. Not even the endorsement of arashi on CMs can urge me to buy that eye-straining console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSRdrJg4WU&noredirect=1
My experience with my 3D phone was enough to turn me off about anything 3D.
It's not just coming out for 3DS, it is also being released for the new PS Vita.

By the way, another thing that has been confirmed about the story is that the AI rabbit thing, known as Zero III, is being controlled by a 'True Zero' who is one amongst the group of 9. So one of the 9 people is the true Zero and is somehow giving orders to Zero III...
Many people have commented that there seems to be parallels between the new characters and the originals. I could go crazy with theories, but one of the lines you see in the trailer is Tu fui, ego eris, which means 'I was you, you will be me' in Latin. Some people have taken that and applied it to the fact that Phi resembles Santa, therefor they might be the same person.
There's also mention of Three Law of Robotics, and one of the characters is in a robotic/metal suit. He looks to be around Seven's size, and coincidentally, he also has amnesia. :P
Gonzo also animated an introduction of the game, which raises a few more questions! ^^

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

I do know that ONE of these characters might have been confirmed as one of the past characters, though I do not know if any of the others are. But don't quote me on it.
It is the pink haired girl. It's Clover apparently.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#13 Post by teacup »

Bane Reiko wrote:I do know that ONE of these characters might have been confirmed as one of the past characters, though I do not know if any of the others are. But don't quote me on it.
It is the pink haired girl. It's Clover apparently.
Indeed, it's confirmed that the pink haired girl is Clover.
It's also confirmed that the dark skinned lady is All-ice, the Egyptian woman whose body was apparently preserved by Ice-9.

Keilis
Regular

#14 Post by Keilis »

Liked the first game a lot, but the models leave a lot to be desired after seeing the great character art.

Celestie
Veteran

#15 Post by Celestie »

..and yet another reason to get a 3DS (because Vita is out of question, I just bought a PSP- and I know I am late). Dream Drop Distance, Harvest Moon, Layton/Wright...and now this. The 3D design ain't that pretty like teh 2D ones, but as long as the story and the characters are great....<3
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*