Any free non-H dating sims games

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#16 Post by musical74 »

Looks like a good game :)

Got a question on the PK girl...where is Saffy at? It says to find her in the 2nd chapter but I've yet to find her :? By in large, PK girl is a VERY good game though =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#17 Post by Otaku Dash »

musical74 wrote:Looks like a good game :)

Got a question on the PK girl...where is Saffy at? It says to find her in the 2nd chapter but I've yet to find her :? By in large, PK girl is a VERY good game though =)
Yeah i really love PK girl. The game is so well done and it gives the classical mood of those old RPGs. :D Saffy... Saffy is really easy to find. In the part of the game that you save Cassie (personally i kick the butt of all the kidnappers and take their ear sensor :P) you will find a corridor before the ledder that leads out of the sewers. In that corridor its a large freezer that has an ice tray and a locked door to the east. Examine the door, you will hear a noise and Laurie says that its best not to open the door. Ask Laurie to open the door with her Pk and you'll find Saffy tied to a chair. The rest is up to you. :D (i won't say many spoilers...but yet again i am still to end the game with Saffy. :) ) i hope this helps

ARGGHH!! I was 1 point from getting the ending with Laurie!!!! :cry: :evil:
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman_Z

#18 Post by Megaman_Z »

to musical74 (this is a spoiler on how to take out ALL 3 kidnappers, BTW): another way to get to where saffy is tied up requires you to have picked up a throwable item prior to moving the box in the office. wait a few turns until one of the kidnappers takes out a syringe. (laurie will have asked you to do something by then. tell her you're thinking of something to do...) throw the item at that moment, and then deal with the remaining kidnappers. after the fight, head west from the furniture and take the syringe. use THAT as a lockpick.

spoiler aside, I am also interested in any free NON-H dating-sim type games. if anyone comes across one... just post a reply here.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#19 Post by Sai »

spoiler aside, I am also interested in any free NON-H dating-sim type games. if anyone comes across one... just post a reply here.
have you already checked out http://www.renai.us ?

Megaman Z

#20 Post by Megaman Z »

been there multiple times. that site also ended up leading me to the ren'py engine. and still no luck with google yet, but I haven't tried recently. too busy with schoolwork and such...

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#21 Post by Sai »

Well if you've played all the games on renai.us, and already scoured the Game Maker's Section in this forum for half-finished games/demos. Then my only other reccomendation is Megatokyo's (a webcomic) Visual Novels forum guide, with its small section on free downloadable games:
http://renai.gwathyr.net/dsvn_faq_rev01.2.html#2.1

If it simply must be "free", then you can download commercial demos. Untranslated but found all over the web on various official Japanese sites.
Insani.org has some translaions for comemrcial demos though.

Your options are limited though unfortunately. And I would have to say that after those options, your last action may be to just come join the club and sit with us here while we wait for more fans turned into game-maker's to produce games. With the upcoming events whereby some of the people here will try and make a game within a month and other things, we shouldn't have long to wait =)

Megaman Z

#22 Post by Megaman Z »

Sai wrote: Your options are limited though unfortunately. And I would have to say that after those options, your last action may be to just come join the club and sit with us here while we wait for more fans turned into game-maker's to produce games. With the upcoming events whereby some of the people here will try and make a game within a month and other things, we shouldn't have long to wait =)
looks like that's what's going to happen... there seems to be a lack of ren'ai games nowadays. even newgrounds.com isn't recieving any new ones. So this is just a waiting game, isn't it? if it is, I still have a project I can work on at school, a PS2 game to beat, seven more letters of the password for "PK girl" to get (already tried 9 times now), and the list goes on and on...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#23 Post by mikey »

Megaman Z wrote:looks like that's what's going to happen... there seems to be a lack of ren'ai games nowadays.
I think it's quite the contrary in fact - the frequency of new games is increasing (at least from a global point of view). More people have the means to make games now, and more and more of them actually start to work and finish their jobs. I'm optimistic!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#24 Post by papillon »

... though if you insist on only being interested in FREE projects, you necessarily limit yourself to only what a few diehard fans can produce in their spare time.

Free is great, and genres do survive on only or almost-only free offerings (see text adventures, and to some extent old Sierra-style graphical adventures) but it generally means that the games ARE going to be small and not all that frequent.

Paying for something motivates more people to produce it and makes it possible for them to devote more time to it. :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#25 Post by Megaman Z »

(re-reads entire topic to refresh memory)

while I do see money as a motivator, Papillon, not everyone does games for money. (grabs tactical shield) as it is, right now I'm working on a game using visual basic that is primarily "pick the appropriate response to the situation" (similar to love hina advance, but without the graphics or as many variables). when I'm done with this chapter of the game (who knows how many there will be, cuz I don't!), I'm probably going to find somewhere to put it on the internet for free, and start work on the next (which I hope I can get artwork to use, considering I CAN'T DRAW!). I don't intend to make money off of these games.
(looks around and calmly places the tactical shield on the ground behind him)
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

I have no problem with paying for games, provided that the price is reasonable and the game is high-quality and non-trivial. Basically, assuming I get decent value for my money. I'd probably be willing to pay about $10 per hour or so of gameplay, which is roughly what I pay for manga, movies (after snacks and such), and DVDs. A demo will help me to buy the game, as it would give me an idea of the game quality and if it will run on my system.

Right now, I think that it's most important to grow the community. That's why I'm doing things like making Ren'Py and my games free for anyone who wants them. In the future, I might switch Ren'Py over to a commercial license for commercial games. (It will always be free for free games.)

As my way of helping to support free games, I'm doing things like donating hosting for the Ren'Ai archive. If Megaman Z's game fits there, we can host it there. (Actually, I'm willing to donate hosting for most visual-novel type games. It's only when a game has huge crossover appeal, like Shoujo Attack did, that I get scared. But even there, I can probably work some magic with distributed web caches to get it hosted.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#27 Post by mikey »

Well, I calculated the relative prices & earnings, shareware etc, and in my end of the world, the reasonable price for 1 hour of entertainment is around 2 USD :( So when I buy import CDs or DVDs (you know, import taxes etc come to it), it's enough to make me dizzy sometimes :roll: .

I like the concept of Ren'Py being free for free games. It's encouraging on one side and an opportunity on the other. Do I think about going commercial? I don't think that will ever happen. I like the take-it-or-leave-it nature of free games, but more than that I see it as means of expressing the things I want. On the other hand I root for projects like Summer Schoolgirls and Snowing Skies (four "s"!), because with selling the product comes great responsibility, and this will usually result into their quality.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#28 Post by Taleweaver »

I'd probably be willing to pay about $10 per hour or so of gameplay, which is roughly what I pay for manga, movies (after snacks and such), and DVDs.
OOOOF!

Final Fantasy VII. 40 hours of gameplay. Now yours for only $399.99...

I'm glad there are at least SOME commercial games that are cheaper ^_^
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#29 Post by PyTom »

Taleweaver wrote: Final Fantasy VII. 40 hours of gameplay. Now yours for only $399.99...
You got a point there. I probably should have said "hours of story" rather than gameplay. And, of course, there are limits. I'm probably not going to pay more than $50 or so for anything... and once it gets above $20, I'll begin looking at reviews/discussion to decide if I'll buy the game or not.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#30 Post by papillon »

I personally would never charge more than $20 for a game (And SS will only be under$10ish) unless it came with toys. Mostly because I myself hate buying things that cost more than $20.

Hrm. I wonder what's involved in getting your own toys produced? :) (Probably not at all feasible for an individual, but... DOLLIES!)