Yo-Jin-Bo

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Cazel
Regular

Yo-Jin-Bo

#1 Post by Cazel »

I realize this is the Bishoujo Gaming category, but as there isn't a Bishounen Gaming category, I'll stick it here. I recently picked up Yo-Jin-Bo, and was curious whether anyone else here had played it. I've played through to two non-game over endings so far, and while as a guy bishounen aren't really my interest, I found the game to be enjoyable anyway. Outside of the hot springs scene (errrrgh) the most ackward part of the game was the humor. Even though the setting was 1850s Japan (I think) the humor was mostly pop-cultural, with references to Star Wars, Fight Club, Mr T, etc (not sure how much was modifed for an Englih audience, I know the Fight Club part was in the spoken Japanese). Once I was used to the necessary suspension of disbelief, I often found myself chuckling at the silliness. Anyway, has anyone else played this game?

Jake
Support Hero

#2 Post by Jake »

I've not, but coincidentally I came here to ask a question about this game on behalf of a workmate - he'd seen a review on RPGFan which piqued his interest, but can't find anywhere to actually buy the game. Can any of you guys recommend an online retailer?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Let's make it awkward and be the third guy to talk about this XD...

Actually, I just slightly heard about the game and was wondering how it played out. Regular read & choose or is there some other gameplay element to it?

Cazel
Regular

#4 Post by Cazel »

It's regular read and choose, though there is a timer on your choice. If you don't make a choice within the time limit (very reasonable), the choice is made for you. Presumably letting the game make the choice for you will generally lead to bad endings, as the whole idea is that you are supposedly trying to save this princess from her fate (and falling in love with some samurai at the same time).

As for where you can buy the game, I bought mine from Right Stuf, since that's generally where I buy my anime, etc online, but I think Hirameki also sells their own games at their site, and I know Peach Princess tends to sell Hirameki's games as well (though depending on your workmate's tastes Peach Princess might not be the best place to direct him).

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

Cazel wrote:As for where you can buy the game, I bought mine from Right Stuf, since that's generally where I buy my anime, etc online, but I think Hirameki also sells their own games at their site, and I know Peach Princess tends to sell Hirameki's games as well (though depending on your workmate's tastes Peach Princess might not be the best place to direct him).
Right Stuf is a dead-end; they apparently demand scans of Id documents and both sides of a credit card to be sent to them for first-time international orders, which is a step too far; Hirameki not only only have a 'Preorder' link up but apparently flat-out refuse to ship outside North America... but thanks.

(I don't know what's up with Right Stuf, I'm sure I've ordered stuff from them before with no such bizarre requirements.)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#6 Post by Alessio »

Jake wrote:Right Stuf is a dead-end; they apparently demand scans of Id documents and both sides of a credit card to be sent to them for first-time international orders
Not only first-timers... I've ordered many times and still had to send my IDs in at least three times. But then again I'd rather have somebody check my data twice than trusting a company that doesn't care where the credit cards came from. And I do have the feeling they're reliable.

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

Alessio wrote:But then again I'd rather have somebody check my data twice than trusting a company that doesn't care where the credit cards came from. And I do have the feeling they're reliable.
I'd rather have someone actually perform some checks, but the three security digits on the back of the card are sufficient, really. I don't feel particularly comfortable sending significant identity information across the 'net and the guy in question is far more paranoid than I; he considers it "potentially negligent use of the card", which he fears he could get in trouble with his CC company for if it did get ripped off.

I don't personally have any particular mistrust of Right Stuf, but I can understand preferring a retailer which doesn't demand quite so much unnecessary information.

Anyway, we found that Archonia sell games, which I was unaware of in the first place, so he's sorted now. ;-)

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#8 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Well, I know that now we're kind of talking about Right Stuf, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents about this game.

I really liked this. Admittedly, I am a girl, so this game was aimed at me, so I may have enjoyed it more than you guys. Not only were all of the samurai/monks/ninjas extremely attractive (drool) (seriously, you know you're in a bishounen game when even the VILLAIN ninja is extremely attractive), it had funny writing that, at points, had me laughing out loud. The art is gorgeous, but most of these games have gorgeous art, so I'll leave it at that.

Err...what else can I say? Hourglass of Summer is really what got me into Ren'Ai games, but Yo Jin Bo is what got me excited to start making my own. :D

I'd give it...a 9.5684/10 (Just because, in my opinion, one of the characters is a little weaker than the others :D)

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#9 Post by Recca Phoenix »

Please tell me this is GxB and not a yaoi game.....
Last edited by Recca Phoenix on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#10 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Yes, this is indeed a GxB game. Although they make a funny joke about "slashing" two of the samurai together. XD

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#11 Post by Recca Phoenix »

What platform? Where can I get it? Hope it's not a PC game.... >_<

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

Link

From the Peach Princess website. It says it runs on PC and Mac OS 9.1.

Ignosco
Veteran

Re:

#13 Post by Ignosco »

I just finished this last night, and I really enjoyed it. For me, the biggest reason why Yo-Jin-Bo worked so well was the way the humour was handled in the translation - quite a lot of the jokes seemed to be substituted/modified in place of the original Japanese ones. All of the games' elements were very well done, and there are only a few minor nitpicks I have with it (mainly to do with the choices/dead ends).
PrettySammy09 wrote:I'd give it...a 9.5684/10 (Just because, in my opinion, one of the characters is a little weaker than the others :D)
I feel the same way about one of the characters.
For me, Bo didn't seem to be as characterful as the other five samurai and the villains - and the second half of his good ending (post Harumoto) was rather disappointing.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

Re: Re:

#14 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Ignosco wrote:I just finished this last night, and I really enjoyed it. For me, the biggest reason why Yo-Jin-Bo worked so well was the way the humour was handled in the translation - quite a lot of the jokes seemed to be substituted/modified in place of the original Japanese ones. All of the games' elements were very well done, and there are only a few minor nitpicks I have with it (mainly to do with the choices/dead ends).
PrettySammy09 wrote:I'd give it...a 9.5684/10 (Just because, in my opinion, one of the characters is a little weaker than the others :D)
I feel the same way about one of the characters.
For me, Bo didn't seem to be as characterful as the other five samurai and the villains - and the second half of his good ending (post Harumoto) was rather disappointing.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Bo's ending and character overall could have been a lot more interesting. Bo got jipped in the character development department. They had something going on with him, but then it just kind of died. (The fact that he loved science and astronomy and occult stuff and fortune telling. He was sort of like an 18th century Otaku that had an absolutely gorgeous cover. And yeah, his ending was weak. T_T)

Ittosai's ending more then made up for it though. I've replayed that ending like sixty times. XD

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

Re: Yo-Jin-Bo

#15 Post by Sailor Kitty »

My copy just came today and I'm on the 3:d chapter. Hatsu-hime already has me doubled laughing. I understand that they substituted the jokes, but I think that was bad when they could have explained it in a note.

But I got so happy for the pokemon ref. And esp. the fact that it was ONLY old pokemon mentioned.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com