Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

Re: Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

#61 Post by Blane Doyle »

I'm all for a donation, but I think something like $50 would be more reasonable given how much spare money people seem to have now a days. Still, $100 to a good cause is not bad.

... what does annoy me is that now we can no longer see any stats for games, such as hit count. Agh, oh well.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#62 Post by Victoria Jennings »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:The $100 entrance fee is just another filter to try and keep only the best moving ahead in the evaluation process. Greenlight is there to make sure that instead of having to review hundreds of game applications to Steam a month on their own, they will now be able to review a dozen or less, and perhaps review some for inclusion on Steam they might have overlooked before being prompted by the community.
Yes, I read the original post. I totally understand the reasoning behind it.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:If you are a serious game designer and creator who has devoted months or years to a game, $100 isn't any kind of large barrier to entry. (And as I've said, if you are running your development as a business, you can deduct that fee from your taxes, as it is a cost of you doing business AND it is going to charity.) The fee WILL make game creators stop and make sure their game is ready for the spotlight before frivolously throwing it into the arena.
Oh, really? That's cool, then. And I guess I could always put up my serious games later, when I do have the funds for it. :3

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#63 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Blane Doyle wrote: ... what does annoy me is that now we can no longer see any stats for games, such as hit count. Agh, oh well.
It makes sense to me that they've removed this. They don't want the community swayed by how popular something is. They want blind votes, not "follow the leader" votes. There are a lot of people that would vote for something just because it had a lot of votes, and others that might like something, but not vote on it if it is doing poorly. This way the process is more democratized and less prone to popularity contests.
Victoria Jennings wrote:LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
If you are a serious game designer and creator who has devoted months or years to a game, $100 isn't any kind of large barrier to entry. (And as I've said, if you are running your development as a business, you can deduct that fee from your taxes, as it is a cost of you doing business AND it is going to charity.) The fee WILL make game creators stop and make sure their game is ready for the spotlight before frivolously throwing it into the arena.

Oh, really? That's cool, then. And I guess I could always put up my serious games later, when I do have the funds for it. :3
$100 isn't a big hurdle for something you believe in. I did chores and mowed lawns growing up to buy several $80 games each summer, and that was in early 1990s money! (Inflation!!!! :cry: )

Think about it this way - the $100 just proves how much you believe in your own game. And it goes to giving sick children games to play too.

Karma points!

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#64 Post by Victoria Jennings »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:$100 isn't a big hurdle for something you believe in. I did chores and mowed lawns growing up to buy several $80 games each summer, and that was in early 1990s money! (Inflation!!!! :cry: )

Think about it this way - the $100 just proves how much you believe in your own game. And it goes to giving sick children games to play too.

Karma points!
Haha, yes. That's actually how I've worked up the budget I have so far. Yard work is amazingly convenient, especially when you're getting paid $25 an hour. ; w ; b Sadly, it is now officially Fall, so I'm going to have to rely on getting a job somewhere...
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#65 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yeah, I think the $100 fee is a good idea. It's small enough to be fairly payable by those who believe in their game (whether they have to save up or ask for a loan off another group), but large enough to be a deterent from people just impulsively doing something. Hopefully it will calm the waters a bit and it all goes to a good cause (I was actually really happy to hear about the charity side of things. Faith for humanity *o*) I wouldn't really blink at paying the fee if Greenlight works out. If nothing else it's like a marketing fee. Always wondered what I would actually spend a marketing budget on XD

I also like the idea of removing the stats. Probably a good idea to remove comments too. If people want to say something, they can contact the creator directly. I think comments leaves a lot open to trolling and people being general asshats because they can, as well as the sway of opinion. It would be kind of cool to see it be totally blind.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#66 Post by Anarchy »

As somebody who's more familiar with the publishing industry, this whole process just makes me go OMG CHARGING WRITER A READING FEE UP FRONT ILLEGITIMATE PUBLISHER ALERT PULL OUT PULL OUT

It's two completely different industries, I recognize, and there are legitimate reasons behind Steam's decision, especially with the whole charity setup, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I'm also somebody from a country where the American dollar is much much higher compared to our own currency - what might be a reasonable amount for people from richer countries might not be for others. Ah well. Who needs games from all those weird foreigners anyway, right?

In any case, sitting back to see how this all turns out...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#67 Post by jack_norton »

Much better to spend those $100 for Greenlight than for Apple iOS/MS metro or IGF submission fee.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

yu1988
Regular
Projects: avan story
Organization: anigu

#68 Post by yu1988 »

$100? I don't mind. For charity? Much better.
Our game : Image
Visit our blog and twitter to get updates.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#69 Post by Anarchy »

This is a well-written, thought-provoking piece on the $100 fee and the issue of privilege.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#70 Post by Blane Doyle »

Anarchy wrote:This is a well-written, thought-provoking piece on the $100 fee and the issue of privilege.
Thank you.

I could afford it if I had a game to put up, I know that. I am privileged, I know that. But I also know that other developers have nothing to spare but their time and I don't think the fee amount is fair that people say "well, if you can't afford it you're not a real dev" because of that. I love that it goes to charity but this...

Some developers make horrible games and can afford to put 10 up for the fee. Others make amazing games using bare minimum but can't afford to put up even one. The later isn't any less of a serious game developer because of this, to me.

Sorry, I got a bit ranty.

apexchimps
Regular
Completed: Detective Max, Nick's Night Out!, Arthur & Susan: Almost Detectives
Projects: Arthur & Susan: Almost Detectives

#71 Post by apexchimps »

Hi!

We are two users, new to Ren'Py, and we have created a Visual Novel that is currently in Greenlight.

The name is Detective Max! This is Max's first important case as a Detective, the murder of Mr. Archibald, a successful businessman in his mansion. Depending on the choices you make you will solve the crime or you will fail as a Detective. Either way, you will enjoy an adventure of crime, romance, mistery and humor.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =607574320

Any feedback will be welcome!

Thank you in advance!