Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

#1 Post by Blane Doyle »

Last edited by Blane Doyle on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Steam Greenlight: Visual novels

#2 Post by Obscura »

Thanks for this list. It's fun to check out everyone's games on there! Hope I can help out you guys.

As for myself, LOL much thanks for including my little game, Blane. I put it up there as a test run to see how much hate it would get before launching my Kickstarter project. 75% disapprove of it so far! :lol:
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Blane Doyle »

I up rated and Favorited for EVERY game here so... I hope at least one game (Not Go Go Nippon maybe) is chosen.

WOW, really? That's kinda harsh. Maybe it's because it's Steam and your game content that don't mix well? (which is a shame, I just started playing your game and it doesn't seem that bad)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#4 Post by teacup »

I never realized how much hate there was for visual novels until I read some of the comments on those pages. It was shocking to me. D:
I'm going to tell all my friends to vote for these games. ;v;"

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Blane Doyle »

There's a lot of hate for EVERYTHING if you go to the right places. VNs just happen to be niche, usually acquainted with anime, and not like normal games (and most people's exposure to them is of the ero variety). Put that on a place where most people are "hardcore male gamers" who don't normally watch anime? You get the Steam equivalent of 4Chan.

I generally avoid looking at comments, if I have the choice. Better to avoid trolls that way.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Obscura »

Blane Doyle wrote:I up rated and Favorited for EVERY game here so... I hope at least one game (Not Go Go Nippon maybe) is chosen.

WOW, really? That's kinda harsh. Maybe it's because it's Steam and your game content that don't mix well? (which is a shame, I just started playing your game and it doesn't seem that bad)
Aw, thanks. Yeah, I don't actually think it has a chance on Steam...that was never my intent (and I didn't even plan on announcing that fact on the Lemmasoft boards...except you somehow fished it out. :roll: )

I just needed to know the negative criticisms right now before I actually start campaigning it elsewhere, to its intended audience. Steam is definitely not it. :lol:
website

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#7 Post by RunicV »

I'm not on Steam, but from what I've seen there, the comments on those VNs are kinda... well... rude... ._. That's kinda depressing.
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

RunicV wrote:I'm not on Steam, but from what I've seen there, the comments on those VNs are kinda... well... rude... ._. That's kinda depressing.
They just don't know what to expect. We've discussed this before here in the forums. One of the comments on the Greenlight pages for a VN summed up most of the "hardcore" gamers views on the matter:

"Dude, where exactly is the gameplay?!"

They are looking for gameplay mechanics - not story. Or gameplay mechanics in service of a story. Most of them don't know what to expect from these titles. They don't care that it's anime, just that they don't see any gameplay involved.

From Analogue: A Hate Story's forums:
This is just my opinion, but WOW! It's amazing how you can have LESS gameplay than a VN!

I'd say it's a simulator.
A library simulator. With a 'librarian' feature.

Take out the visual out of Visual Novel, and you get an ebook.
Some people even feel tricked when they buy a VN and find it has "no game". From the same forums: (Not picking on Analogue, it's just the only VN on Steam at the moment)
It's as if the developers went to some lengths to lay out a bunch of characters and storytelling, and then left all aspects of the actual "game" out.

There is no deduction, no puzzle, no adventure, no nothing.
It's an excessively passive experience, in the extreme.
I'd say the games that are going to do well from the forums here on Greenlight are those with some actual gameplay in addition to the VN elements, like Papillon's "Magical Diary" and Winter Wolves "Loren: Amazon Princess".

yu1988
Regular
Projects: avan story
Organization: anigu

#9 Post by yu1988 »

I guess Avan Story's still safe =). Even those people are complaining of no game play sample (And we're at fault indeed), we managed to get 75% approve. Not sure if it will go down soon though.
Our game : Image
Visit our blog and twitter to get updates.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Blane Doyle »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I'd say the games that are going to do well from the forums here on Greenlight are those with some actual gameplay in addition to the VN elements, like Papillon's "Magical Diary" and Winter Wolves "Loren: Amazon Princess".
Speaking of Loren, it has the highest "necessary positive ratings" at 1% on the list (keep in mind that, since I didn't put it there, I can't see the actual approval/disproval rating, just how close it is to getting approved). It also has the most favorites on the list, though Date Warp has had the most visitors so far.

Granted, Greenlight JUST started so that could just mean Loren had a massive initial positive reception in comparison to other games. The only ones higher than 1% that I see (at the moment and only going through 7 pages) are Postal 2 (of course), The Oregon Trai: Director's Cut, and No More Room in Hell.
At 3, 3, and 9 respectfully.
I'd find a game at 1% roughly... every 20 games or so. That's probably a decent sign in Loren's favor.

I also took a peak through the message boards. There are some people saying nasty things about VNs, but there are more saying their either don't care if they are added, note that Steam has been selling "non-games" for a while, or ones saying they would try one out.

I find it really disheartening that people on Steam, and game players in general, seem to care more about gameplay than story. Even if I am looking for a game with a lot of gameplay, it either needs to have no story at all (mindless gameplay is fun after all) or a decent one. If the story sucks, I am annoyed. I can't understand people who skip the story in a game with a well written one just to get to gameplay either.
But that's just me I suppose.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Obscura »

@Blane

Ok, the comments on my game were starting to go from "your art sucks" (which is obnoxious but helpful to me) to "visual novels suck" which is not helpful to me nor anyone else. I deleted my game off Steam since I feel like I've gotten the feedback I needed. So you might want to take me off your list above. Thanks for including me on your list, in any case. :wink:
website

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

Aw man... Looks like you managed to draw out the nasty ones, Obscura... It's a shame you removed your game but that's your choice.

Honestly, I don't think Steam will be open to visual novels any time soon, at least not as much as we want them to. It's pretty much established what kinds of games most people expect on it, and who plays them. It's a shame, honestly...

Condolences and well wishes to everyone else who was brave enough to chance their game in Greenlight. I'm still rooting for you because I know there is a place on Steam for these games and people who want more of them on it. The people who don't want them just seem to be more vocal than others right now.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

Science Girls got 1% early yesterday but hasn't visibly moved up since then. The numbers required are just guidelines at the moment, so it's hard to know what'll come of it.

I'll personally be pretty disappointed if SG gets in and Date Warp doesn't - just as a matter of personal taste, I like Date Warp so much better! I'm not surprised that an RPG is an easier sell to the audience than an otome VN though. If SG DID get in we'd also have to quickly hire artists and patch some bits of it up. So, drumming up business for pixel artists!

In both cases the comments have been a nice mix, some haters but certainly not overwhelmingly so.

Minnfae
Regular
Projects: Undecided

#14 Post by Minnfae »

Aww, I liked Science Girls more than Date Warp. Long Live the Queen pwns both though, why isn't it there?
Oh, in an unrelated topic, are there any plans for another Cute Knight sequel?
My avatar art is a freebie by SilverHyena. Thanks a lot!

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Blane Doyle »

Hey, yeah, LLTQ would be a great contender for Steam now that I think about it. I'd definitely jump on buying it from Steam, just cause I wouldn't accidentally lose the launcher.