Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Mirage
Veteran

Re: Steam Greenlight: Visual novels

#46 Post by Mirage »

DeeKay wrote:
Blane Doyle wrote:4) A good majority of Steam's users have the tact and maturity of the worst 4Chan users. Not the average one, the bad ones that became infamous online.
The general consensus of what a "gamer" is nowadays is, sorry to be blunt, "An idiot easily frustrated whenever there's an obstacle in the way of his progression (including story), looking for simple yet rich gameplay that won't hinder his thought process (Derp ! I can't figure it out if it has more than 2 button combinations !)" , all thanks to these select few who are, again sorry for my words, a pain in the butt.
They even think they know what a game should be like but don't give any pointers... Obviously they haven't touched older games (10 year old or more) before making these statements, not open minded and patient enough.
I have given up the idea of making a challenging game, because apparently giving in game hints and guide is not enough... Orz
jack_norton wrote: They even failed to understand my basic explanation how downvoting/abstaining from voting is pointless. Valve wants to know about potential buyers, not annoyed teenagers that group together with the only purpose to downvote all the VNs they find (some people are really doing that) :lol:
Omg, I read that just now. I thought you were being extremely patient with these people.
Exposure == free punching bag for everyone... .___.;

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Steam Greenlight: Visual novels

#47 Post by Applegate »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:You know, the whole 1 star or 5 stars and nothing in-between rating mentality.
http://xkcd.com/1098/ :lol:

I upvoted a few of the Visual Novels I saw on Greenlight. Think the entire hubbub about negative comments is exaggerated - there'll always be close-minded people, and fussing over them is just going to bother you and leave them completely unaffected.

@Jack Norton: If you pull your games, to me that'd be the same as saying you cater to the people who hate what you do and neglect the people who like what you do.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Steam Greenlight: Visual novels & Other Ren'Py games

#48 Post by jack_norton »

No no, won't pull the games, was just a small moment of rage because you know... wasn't shocked by some words they used :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#49 Post by MaiMai »

I read some of these comments from Steam users

It was just about intelligible as anything I've read on Youtube
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Applegate »

jack_norton wrote:No no, won't pull the games, was just a small moment of rage because you know... wasn't shocked by some words they used :)
Seen too many indies crumble to the hateful words of those who aren't their audience. Glad to hear you're not one of them - I actually liked Loren. (not enough to shell out €25 for it, though, I'm afraid)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#51 Post by Hijiri »

An an OELVN, but...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=93962591
MangaGamer put up Higurashi on Greenlight
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#52 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

In case anyone hasn't seen this article yet - Valve Bans Seduce Me.

It seems very pertinent to the VN discussion, especially those with mature content. Now, Seduce Me looks very similar to a VN on the surface if you watch the video for it. The player travels around an environment, navigates a story, and has conversations with girls where they play a minigame to earn Like or Dislike points with a character to unlock new scenes with them.

You can dismiss it as "just a sex game", but I think that would be wrong, and exactly what a lot of the Steam community says about all VN and anime games. Right now, Steam can ban any game for "objectionable content" but fails to say what that is. But apparently, according to Valve, Bulletstorm, a game where you can fire guiding meat-grinding missles up people's butts from a first person view, isn't objectionable, but a game where adults have consensual sex is.

It's the old, extreme graphic violence is A-OK! but any form of nudity is BAD. Frankly, it's pretty tiring to have to put up with this outdated puritanical worldview in the 21st century. Maybe if Seduce Me had been called Shoot Me and the player went around killing the women with a shotgun it wouldn't have been banned.... :roll:

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#53 Post by jack_norton »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: It's the old, extreme graphic violence is A-OK! but any form of nudity is BAD. Frankly, it's pretty tiring to have to put up with this outdated puritanical worldview in the 21st century. Maybe if Seduce Me had been called Shoot Me and the player went around killing the women with a shotgun it wouldn't have been banned.... :roll:
I had to continuously reply to very nice/polite (sarcasm) people that my games weren't hentai. They were hoping that they were so they could get them banned. And I agree about what you say, and that's probably why Walking Dead is so successful. It's a great visual novel (yes, that's it) but I was a bit disappointed about the total absence of even just a small kiss/romance moment, but apparently what 99% of people want is just heads exploding, severed limbs, etc. Was crazy in Dragon Age where the romance scenes showed the people fully dressed, but they could go around with blood spattered all around their bodies like if it was completely normal... :roll:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

DeeKay
Veteran

#54 Post by DeeKay »

jack_norton wrote:Was crazy in Dragon Age where the romance scenes showed the people fully dressed, but they could go around with blood spattered all around their bodies like if it was completely normal... :roll:
Tell me about it ! The game's great and all but... this kind of "gimmick" is... I don't even know what's a good way to describe it..
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#55 Post by Blane Doyle »

Hijiri wrote:An an OELVN, but...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=93962591
MangaGamer put up Higurashi on Greenlight
I am weeping with JOY, MangaGamer thank you for putting up a much better title!

In other news: America, where the sex is OH GOD NO HORRIBLE but massive amounts of violence is A-OK DOC! 8D

Disclaimer: I love ultra violent games, I just think this is silly. And stupid. And just why?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#56 Post by PyTom »

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/ann ... 1741839763

Greenlight is now requiring a $100 donation to Child's Play in order to post a game there.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#57 Post by Blane Doyle »

... didn't they say $10 earlier?

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Victoria Jennings »

I'm... trying to decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point. Mainly, I'm worried that by the time I'm ready to post a game on there, I won't have enough to justify it. As a jobless teenager (I will be applying for a Walmart opening in my area shortly, so it won't be for long, hopefully), I suppose I'm going to have to avoid Greenlight for now. D:

I guess makers of shorter VNs are probably going to have to stick to these forums and other such places.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#59 Post by papillon »

It's still new, everything is in flux! Things may change.

Also, there are ways and ways. There's already at least one indie developer offering to pay fees for others if they really need it. Under the right circumstances I could do something similar. Or, for that matter, as the fees are apparently per-user and not per-game (last I heard) you could enter into an agreement with someone who had an existing publishing account. Who knows?

In any case I think it's far too early to make any firm decisions on what any of this means. Even greenlight itself we still don't know if it will actually stick around and/or actually work to bring games onto the system. It's still quite possible for them to decide this was all a bad idea. Right now it's probably wise to sit tight and see what happens with the initial batch.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#60 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

PyTom wrote:http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/ann ... 1741839763

Greenlight is now requiring a $100 donation to Child's Play in order to post a game there.
This seems reasonable to me. It will largely eliminate indie developers that aren't serious, and trolls that were putting up "joke" games. It should also cut down on those using Greenlight for unfinished games. Greenlight really needs to be the place to find games that are ready to go, just awaiting your eyes and vote to appear on Steam. And kudos to Valve for donating the money to charity. Getting your game on Greenlight is now tax deductible. :wink:
Victoria_Jennings wrote:I'm... trying to decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point. Mainly, I'm worried that by the time I'm ready to post a game on there, I won't have enough to justify it. As a jobless teenager (I will be applying for a Walmart opening in my area shortly, so it won't be for long, hopefully), I suppose I'm going to have to avoid Greenlight for now. D:
Not to be mean or personal, but I think that's the point of charging the $100 in the first place, so every teenager or person with a game idea isn't throwing them up on Greenlight and pulling the system down under the weight of thousands of entries.

Remember, Greenlight is NOT about getting your game noticed or attracting an audience. It is all about doing Valve's pre-screening process for them, separating the wheat from the chaff and getting the good games to rise to the top so they can take a closer look at them on their own. The $100 entrance fee is just another filter to try and keep only the best moving ahead in the evaluation process. Greenlight is there to make sure that instead of having to review hundreds of game applications to Steam a month on their own, they will now be able to review a dozen or less, and perhaps review some for inclusion on Steam they might have overlooked before being prompted by the community.

If you are a serious game designer and creator who has devoted months or years to a game, $100 isn't any kind of large barrier to entry. (And as I've said, if you are running your development as a business, you can deduct that fee from your taxes, as it is a cost of you doing business AND it is going to charity.) The fee WILL make game creators stop and make sure their game is ready for the spotlight before frivolously throwing it into the arena.