Demon Kissu!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Demon Kissu!

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Saw a new topic on the VNDB discussion board this morning, and learned that a group based in Poland is creating Demon Kissu! It seems it will be a freeware VN with boy x girl(s) pairings, centered around a school for supernatural beings. They intend to fund their project with Indiegogo: $5000 US minimum, and a variety of stretch goals.

I have already provided the creator with some feedback. I'd like to know a few more details about their project before contributing to their campaign.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Demon Kissu!

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Sounds like a strange choice to make three of the four apparently attainable girls chubby in comparison to the typical galge stereotype - unless you're aiming for an audience that likes their women a little more realistic. But then, why go with demons?

Also, the art style leaves me unimpressed. I've seen better quality from NaNoRenO titles. And I'm a little suspicious about them not telling how long this whole thing will be. Don't think I'm going to support this.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Unfortunately, for $5000 they only have a few pieces of art to show - no information about the actual game. The fact that it's free and doesn't get sold only to the backers makes me think that the creators don't have very much trust in the quality of their own work. There is not a demo nor an example of the writing, and the character art is of iffy quality for the price tag. There is also not an average length or word count. For such a cliched conceit, I would expect super high quality art and writing to attract interest, and there is no evidence of either. Finally, the whole demon-competing-to-romance-the-protagonist idea seems like a turn-off - I would rather not be afraid of all my potential love interests :lol: It could work, but it needs a LOT more info and better quality assets.

I personally think it would be more interesting if they were monster girls who only took human form once and a while, if the demon idea is there, why hide it behind a typical galge-looking love interest?

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#4 Post by Blane Doyle »

I actually quite like the basic idea... but that's all that is handed to us. The basic idea. I know it says "updates coming" but for a page like this I expect... I dunno, more information?

That said, I do like the idea of this. The art isn't OHMYGOSHAMAZING but it's something I don't mind looking at. They seem to have a decent idea of what they want (in comparison to come KS or IGG projects that seem to have no idea what they are doing with the money) and while the lack of information is annoying they HAVE put effort into making their page look presentable and giving hints for more info to come.

Still... kinda wish they didn't hold back as much. Just some more basic game info would have been nice. Maybe showing more of "here is what we are aiming for at the basic level". It has potential but really that is all I see right now. Still... I'm a sucker for potential. I don't have an IGG account but I may just sign up to back this.

((And I don't think "three of the four girls" look chubby. Only one, the one that is obviously a cat girl demon (nekomata? Is that it?). The other two look average and the fourth looks skinny to me.

Though the idea of them being demon all the time would be more appealing to me as well. Perhaps they have a reason for staying in human form? Easier to blend in and all that. But for now we just don't know and I hope we find out.))

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#5 Post by Mimi_Melody »

Wow...uh....$5000...is that a little...too much? I mean the artwork and BGs look nice. But they barely show any info about the girls. Art is important, but it's not THAT important compared to the story and script. I still have no idea how their writing level is, how long will it be? Hours/days?
Further more, $5000 is just the minimum, the max is $21 000??! Which adds PARTIAL voice acting...seriously? Why so much money? I'm not one of those game makers/creators so I don't know how much money you put in to create a game. Correct me if I'm wrong. @@

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Blane Doyle »

You would be surprised how expensive art can get. Voice acting can be infinitely more so from what I can see. Even for what we see this isn't an outstanding amount of money for a visual novel (apparently the budget in Japan can get upwards of the hundred thousands).

Besides, 5k seems to be a decent goal. That's what was used by Coming Out on Top and Dizzy Hearts (both MASSIVELY successful) so perhaps they figure it is a good number to use themselves. It's nothing compared to what Devil Gene R asked for (10k). Errant Heart asked 8.5k and they are close to their goal (7.5 now). Driftwood asked just over 4k and got theirs.

It may be a bit much to ask for what we are being shown, but in general? Seems about average.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

With $5000 you can get a good amount of high quality art, the backgrounds certainly seem up to par but the character sprites are a bit iffy considering the price. I can understand that price if they need to hire someone like a writer or a UI designer in addition to the musician and artist. The additional tiers are really stretched out but it's not like they need that money to finish it. So, I'd say it's a reasonable amount, IF they gave adequate info.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Blane Doyle »

Precisely my thoughts. I'm more than willing to back them but more info would help them considerably in the eyes of those (rightly) more skeptical than myself. I also wonder if they plan on using a LOT of assets for the sprites and CG. Numbers could even out the goal amount in my mind. Quantity does not beget quality but it's something to think about I suppose.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

There's an "official" thread about this game here:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=20866
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom