World End Economica

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

World End Economica

#1 Post by latte »

World End Economica is a doujin visual novel series written by Isuna Hasekura of Spice&Wolf fame, following a boy's endeavor in the stock market in Lunar City, humanity's new financial center. Currently two of three parts are out in Japan, and I just had the delight to find out there's an official English translation of the first part available! It's priced at $12.90, and the original amounts to around six hours of gameplay (around 20 CGs I think) and has great reviews at Amazon.co.jp.
It's rated G (all audiences), and has a male protagonist. As far as romance goes, it has a "pure love" tag in DL site, but I'm not sure if there's more than one heroine nor how big a role romance plays in the plot.

Synopsis from the official site with crappy translation by me:

It has been sixteen years since immigrants settled down at the Moon.
An age when numerous people chasing endless dreams in a skyscraper covering the frontier of mankind.
Haru, born and raised in the Moon, was one of such people chasing an endless dream.
His dream was to stand where no human has ever set foot.
For that, he needed funds, formidable funds.
What haru was facing was a place that absorbed humans' desires for the past century, at times granting and at times mercilessly crushing them.
There were only two important rules for ruling that place:

The first, not have losses.
The second, to absolutely not forget the first rule.

Only those who abided to those rules managed to obtain enourmous wealth.
The stock market.
The place where a crowd who never learns gathered since a hundred years ago...

If you're not familiar with Hasekura's work, he's known for including trade as a main theme in a way that's detailed but engaging, coupled with witty characters and dialogue. The above mentioned light novel series Spice&Wolf is being published in English by Yen Press, and reviews are great at both hemispheres.
I haven't found time to play it yet, but I'd buy anything he writes with my eyes closed so do give it a try if it appeals to you -- there's beautiful art, a unique concept and almost certainly delightful writing and dialogue.
Last edited by latte on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: World End Economica

#2 Post by LVUER »

The drawing is awesome. Some CG have absolutely beautiful BG. I wonder if they're going to localize this one? Seeing how it's on DL site, meaning that it's 18+? I can't access DLsite due to ISP restriction.

Is this game have 2 protagonists or we can choose the protagonist's gender?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

latte
Regular

#3 Post by latte »

@LVUER The version in DL Site is already translated to English, and it's not R18. Guess I should make it clearer in the OP. I'm positive there's only a male protagonist and that it's BxG, though I'm not sure if romance is a prominent genre.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

That is a really cool hook. I guess the question is, is the translation good? There are no videos or screenshots of the English version anywhere.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#5 Post by Kato »

Keen as a jellybean! Sounds awesome. :p
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

As of this writing, no English screenshots for World End Economica on VNDB or DLSite just yet. I'm not sure if the translation was created by DLSite's staff, by Spicy Tails (the group that created it), or someone else. Even though this is just part one of three, the price seems reasonable. Though I want to make sure it doesn't read like a machine translation first.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

Looks like it's a poor translation: Screenshot Screenshot 2

Damn shame... why don't they hire a native English speaker or two to localize it like most games out there?

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kato »

gekiganwing wrote:As of this writing, no English screenshots for World End Economica on VNDB or DLSite just yet. I'm not sure if the translation was created by DLSite's staff, by Spicy Tails (the group that created it), or someone else. Even though this is just part one of three, the price seems reasonable. Though I want to make sure it doesn't read like a machine translation first.
I've just finished bringing it down and will probably get around to opening it up before too long. If the translation is all chips and gravy I'll let you know.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Kato »

I grabbed a few screenshots that haven't given much of the story away! So far, save for a few menus, it's translated pretty well imo and the actual story is amazing. I've already lost count of how many times I've said "Aww, that's cool" out loud :lol: Anyway, here are some samples of some dialogue and monologue to give you an idea of the translation (and the nice art that comes with it :3).

Image Image Image
Image Image

latte
Regular

#10 Post by latte »

@SundownKid Unlike most translated JVNs out there, this one is indie, and the offer to translate it probably came from the translator themselves as the author knows no English (he announced the translated version in Japanese...). Plus trust me, this author's works are a pain to translate, as you can see from my terrible attempt at the summary above. That may not justify a poor translation, but it would explain it, so I hope it's at least playable.

@Kato I can't believe you beat me to it! Darned uni... But it's a good thing to know that the translation isn't so bad and that the plot itself is interesting -- not that I ever doubted it.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#11 Post by Blane Doyle »

MangaGamer is selling this now as well. For those who are leery about the translation quality, they are working on a corrections patch that fixes issues with grammar and typos, as well as bugs and UI issues (apparently the version is DLS still has the Japanese UI?). They don't know if their patch will work or even be available for the DLS version.

I'm always a bit... eh about buying from DLSite. I've done it a few times, but I prefer buying from MG. Mostly just because it's easier for me. Now I'm torn about which site to buy from and waiting or not waiting for the corrections patch and feedback on how much it actually changed.

But I wanna buy it, that's for sure.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Kato »

The 'Yes/No' options as well as the top UI were still all in Japanese, though since I never used it it didn't really bother me at all. The game was fantastic though! I'm very rarely able to be so invested in a KN but before i knew it I was 8 hours in :lol:
Image Image

redpandastudio
Regular
Completed: Curse of Slate Rock Manor, The Host Holic, Nowhere Safe 1 & 2
Projects: Harvest Festival: All Signs
Organization: VisualNovelGames.com

#13 Post by redpandastudio »

I downloaded the game from Dlsite and it was a complete disappointment. They also refused to post my negative review, and I was really surprised that they were cherry picking them, and now that I know, I am pissed. I was surprised that 100 people bought the game, but only two left reviews? I am really suspicious about the reviews that are there too because those reviewers never reviewed anything else.

The story was boring. Nothing happens. There's no advancing plot. The translation is horrendous. They even used a word "lookinag" in the game which suggests that they didn't even spell check it? Also, there are tons of black screens which is really annoying.

And yeah, they didn't translate the UI? It was okay for me because I used to live in Japan and know a lot of Japanese, but most people probably won't understand the options screen.

Also, Spice and Wolf was great because the guy and the wolf were constantly working together in clever ways to cheat different economies, but after four hours of playing the game, I got NOHWERE!

The main character is also terribly sexist, so I wasn't thrilled about that.

I have not been this disappointed with a purchase in a long time.