Otome Game Translating Group

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Saica

Otome Game Translating Group

#1 Post by Saica »

Hello there! ^^

I am, as probably a lot of you here, an otome game lover! ~ And is obviously disappointed in the English otome game market (thank god for hakuoki)
The existing groups that translates otome games doesn't really seem to pick up the games I want >_<
Sooo I'm basically wondering if there are some good people interesed in starting a translation Group with me ^^ (if this question is allowed here).
I would buy the games and help with translating, but of course I'd need more translators and hackers (I have no idea how to do that kind of stuff).
If someway possible, I'd like to encourage the players to actually buy the game and not download it (I Heard there's one Group that has made it so you have to buy it Before applying the English patch so you can play but I don't really remember how), since, of course, I want them to support the companis creating the games!

Wow I'm just babbling aren't I D: well if anyone's interested or have any good ideas, please tell me ^^

Games I'm interested in translating:

1. Hiiro no Kakera
2. Amnesia
3. Any Otomate Game

Please ask me if you have any questions!

/Saica

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Otome Game Translating Group

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

A while ago, the people at Insani wrote some articles on visual novel translation and hacking. That section of their site has been offline for quite some time, but just about all of what they wrote is still available thanks to archive.org. Aside from that, I recommend looking around for fan translation advice, as well as insights on how to work as a team.

Aksys Games (various consoles) and Voltage Inc (iOS) are currently making professional translations of otome games. If you appreciate their products, be sure to buy their games and promote them in public venues. I also recommend providing polite, constructive advice to other companies which currently translate games.

*GxB Fan Translators*

1. Ate The Moon, the group which created a fan translation of The Second Reproduction, is still active and working on varied projects.
2. A person named Jjjewel has been in charge of the translation projects for Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side and Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo (DS versions).
3. PhoenixGoddess, the person who translated TMGS2, still has an active forum, and as far as I know, is still working on Girl's Side 3.
4. Oge, the team which translated Starry Sky in Spring, is described as a "secretive group" on VNDB, and they don't have a website or forum.
Saica wrote:If someway possible, I'd like to encourage the players to actually buy the game and not download it (I Heard there's one Group that has made it so you have to buy it Before applying the English patch so you can play but I don't really remember how), since, of course, I want them to support the companis creating the games!
In that case, strive to focus on visual novels which are reasonably easy to find, which will work with a modern computer, and which are not especially expensive. Remember that only a few sites specialize in import Windows games. Console games are sometimes less expensive and easier to find, but it's not possible to apply a translation patch to a console game without some form of emulation. Finally, some players might hesitate to pay the equivalent of 8800 yen plus shipping fees just to import a game disc.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Otome Game Translating Group

#3 Post by papillon »

Speaking of games that are easy to find/purchase - and as a bonus, easy technically to translate, as they tend to use simple popular engines - there are a handful of interesting otome games available on DLsite. I used to collect them when I was still considering trying to patch things just for fun armed with nothing more than AGTH and a kanji dictionary.