Galaxy angel in english.

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Sailor Kitty
Veteran

Galaxy angel in english.

#1 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Broccoli have announced that the video game trilogy will be released in North America, though Broccoli will not be working on the actual game themselves. All that is currently known is that the games will be subtitled only (without an English dubbed cast). The game is planned to be a PC only release. The English-subtitled version have been delayed from its intended Summer 2006 release due to the company whom is working on the game seeking a production house to help translate the game.

YESS!

I know _I'm_ getting the game, as long as it is not adult.

Isn't this lovely!?
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#2 Post by Counter Arts »

Umm... I heard this too but where did you get this piece of information?

GLACIER
Regular

#3 Post by GLACIER »

Unfortunately, the above Wikipedia quote is a combination of fake and real info. The only true facts are that:

- an unnamed "Company O" licensed the first Galaxy Angel (PC) game for American release
- said publisher underestimated the amount of translation required, so production couldn't proceed
- Company O explained Broccoli that they'd look for a localization studio in the meantime
- last year, Broccoli introduced Company O to its American arm (Broccoli USA, which has no involvement with the project) and suggested that they coordinate their GA marketing campaigns.
- Broccoli USA hasn't heard from Company O ever since, and no one knows if a product will materialize.

Any stuff you might read about an intended release date or a subtitled trilogy (with downloadable English patches to be offered on Broccoli's site) is untrue.

[Another notable point is that Broccoli USA is pitching Galaxy Angel II (PS2) to American publishers. However, it's too early to say if anyone will pick it up.]

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#4 Post by Sailor Kitty »

So this news from is fake?
I found it on visualnews...

bit belated perhaps, but at FanimeCon 2007, Shizuki Yamashita from Broccoli International USA (abbreviated from here on as BIUSA) talked about their plans regarding the Galaxy Angel games and their possible release in the US.

There was a company who licensed the PC version of the first game from Broccoli Japan, and Broccoli Japan introduced the BIUSA people to them at E3 that year, with the suggestion of marketing the franchise together. BIUSA offered to help the game localization company with anything, but they have yet to hear back from them ever since.

Meanwhile, BIUSA is talking to a few companies about the Galaxy Angel II game, and they hope they can announce something this year. The game is supposedly pretty popular in Japan and now would be a good time to introduce it over here.

Furthermore, BIUSA hinted at why the PC version was sought after, instead of the PS2 version. Essentially, Sony USA is very strict about bringing over non-3D games, so most AVG are out. However, now that the PS3 is out, Sony may become a bit more lax with the PS2 US licensing. Added to the fact that 2D games like Phoenix Wright (Gyakuten Saiban) have been pretty popular, there may be more people interested in bringing 2D AVG over. One final issue is that these games have a lot of text, so there is question whether US gamers would be interested in reading so much.

In closing, Shizuki Yamashita mentioned the Evangelion Battle Orchestra game and how interesting it was. She said it would be cool if that were released over here and jokingly asked the crowd to ask Mr. Yamaga (from Gainax) to license the game. She also said that you can play it on a Japanese PS2, as there isn’t really that much reading involved.

Discussion (2)
Categories: News, Commercial Games, Con Report, Articles, Galaxy Angel
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

GLACIER
Regular

#5 Post by GLACIER »

So this news from is fake?
I found it on visualnews...
Some of the stuff I summarized above came from this VisualNews article.

The fake bits of info (which originated from a certain discussion forum and was somehow believed) are as follows:

- the licensing of the entire trilogy (first game, Moonlit Lovers, Eternal Lovers)
- any projected release dates
- details on whether the game would be dubbed or just text translated

As it stands, the original PC game has been in limbo ever since it was licensed. The publisher hasn't revealed its identity or any product details (technically, the game hasn't been officially announced), nor does it seem like this will ever happen.

Re: Galaxy angel in english.

#6 Post by Guest »

I don't know about other US gamers, but I would consider myself something of a "gamer", and not only would I not be inclined to reject a heavy-text game, but I would enjoy it. Some of my favorite games are heavy text, and many of the most popular games here in the US are text as well. Case in point: Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic, whose 3rd installment has been heavily anticipated for the last two year by fans of the series, including me. This title is almost entirely text-based in terms of plot - the player is required to seek additional textual elements of the plotline to fully enjoy the game. Another game of this nature, I believe would be well received. My only encounter with the Galaxy Angel franchise was a flash dating sim/RPG on Newgrounds.com, and even so, the characters and overall plot, as well as the rough foundation of a similar platform or PC game seems very appealing, and clearly something that could be developed into a complete title. I hope that this title arrived in the US, and I hope that the previously developed title lives up to my lofty expectations. With it's success already in Japan, I have no doubt that it will.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

Guest wrote:I don't know about other US gamers, but I would consider myself something of a "gamer", and not only would I not be inclined to reject a heavy-text game, but I would enjoy it. Some of my favorite games are heavy text, and many of the most popular games here in the US are text as well. Case in point: Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic, whose 3rd installment has been heavily anticipated for the last two year by fans of the series, including me. This title is almost entirely text-based in terms of plot - the player is required to seek additional textual elements of the plotline to fully enjoy the game. Another game of this nature, I believe would be well received. My only encounter with the Galaxy Angel franchise was a flash dating sim/RPG on Newgrounds.com, and even so, the characters and overall plot, as well as the rough foundation of a similar platform or PC game seems very appealing, and clearly something that could be developed into a complete title. I hope that this title arrived in the US, and I hope that the previously developed title lives up to my lofty expectations. With it's success already in Japan, I have no doubt that it will.
I think the problem is that the textual elements (but correct me if I'm wrong) in GA are visual novel segments, completely taken out of the gameplay. I think it's the whole concept that's not working somehow... for the West.

It's fine to have a heavily text-based game, where the gaming parts look more or less the same as text-reading parts (like in a 3rd person adventure where you walk and jump around, and where the game then changes to static views when you talk to someone) - but I think that the whole thing with the VN/hybrid concept is that it just breaks the experience so much more in comparison to more unified visual presentations by constantly wanting you to switch between modes of presentation.

Some say it's the Japanese nature - I've heard that they have much less troubles with unifying very different styles (that's why their designs look so weird to let's say a generally European view on style and presentation) - also in anime you have moments of extreme slapstick and facial deformation and the next second someone is profoundly crying because someone else died. It's not easy to identify or understand this contrasting harmony, or the understanding for the really abstract in the Japanese culture.

That's a bit offtopic though ^_^.

GLACIER
Regular

#8 Post by GLACIER »

It also seems that most players don't want to read for lengthy periods of time (pure visual novels don't seem to interest them any more than hybrids).

In story-driven games, text is usually presented through small chunks at a time (i.e. read through a conversation for a minute or two, run around, read some more, fight a battle, watch a flashy cutscene, etc.). The total amount of text may equal that of a novel, but since everything is scattered, the feeling of interactivity and/or immersion isn't lost.

Lucifiel
Regular

#9 Post by Lucifiel »

GLACIER wrote:It also seems that most players don't want to read for lengthy periods of time (pure visual novels don't seem to interest them any more than hybrids).
I think it's very telling of many societies these days: many don't even read books anymore and instead, demand information to be presented in short summaries. Throw them a book like Fahrenheit 451, The Journey's end, The River between, The Kiterunner, etc. and you'd be met with blank stares or even "this sucks. why is the protagonist not hawt enough...lol.".

It's little wonder why a lot of folks these days suffer from lack of critical thinking skills(yes, I'm looking at some of you old folks too). They can't even be bothered to make decisions for themselves in real life: what more in a game? They're contented instead to let a corporation, a government or even an advertisement do the thinking for them.

Perhaps I'm being harsh and making one too many assumptions though. But last I heard, a lot of folks even complained about The Witcher being too wordy. Same for a lot of other wordy games: the players don't want to think and ponder about decisions, they just simply want to rehash a set of pre-existing skills. Or they just simply want to be told that a scenario is horrible and so they'll start feeling that said scenario is horrible. It's partly why loads of people go for "critical-thinking" movies these days. Sure, some want to think but most are simply content to "feel" that they're "thinking" without really having to do that.