Text based "Multiple Choice" (Role-Playing) Games Online

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
peapodprincess
Regular

Text based "Multiple Choice" (Role-Playing) Games Online

#1 Post by peapodprincess »

I recently came across a website called "Choice of Games", a company who writes text-based "multiple-choice" (or, if you'd like to use a slightly less accurate but more recognizable term, "role-playing") games, after releasing their first games on Steam - Heroes Rise - that were honestly enjoyable for me to play.

I've only poked around a little, but they appear to have a community based around creating similar titles through their free-to-use scripting language and actually have quite a few of their own games (along with some from the community, titled "Hosted Games") available online or on mobile devices.

In my opinion, I think this would be an interesting way for those who are less inclined towards arts and visuals to express themselves in a similar format to VNs.

Any thoughts?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Text based "Multiple Choice" (Role-Playing) Games Online

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

The "Choice of Games" released so far are all quite good, in their own way - essentially, browser-based, stat-building "choose your own adventure" books, each revolving around one specific setting, all of them entirely text-based. Your assessment is correct: for people who like to write but cannot draw, are interested in an interactive medium but find writing classic IF too tedious, this is the perfect platform.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'd be interested in applying, but first I'd like to know if there's anyone on these forums who's had experience writing for "Choice of Games". If so, what was it like for you? The pay sounds excellent, but the old saying goes "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

peapodprincess
Regular

#4 Post by peapodprincess »

Oh, you don't have to be paid by them to be hosted by them or to use their scripting language, I think. Most of the community are amateurs who don't work for Choice of Games or even have their work hosted on their site. That's what I've gathered at least.

I don't know anyone who's worked with the company directly (outside of asking them to host their game), but I'd proceed with caution if you're considering working with them - as with any arrangement that involves money.

victorita9
Regular

#5 Post by victorita9 »

Caveat Lector wrote:I'd be interested in applying, but first I'd like to know if there's anyone on these forums who's had experience writing for "Choice of Games". If so, what was it like for you? The pay sounds excellent, but the old saying goes "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
There are forum topics of the Choice of Games forum that discusses it, and there are writers that talk about what happened to them. It seems that there are two areas of pay. A "Hosted Game" and a "Choice of games" game. With the hosted games you get money from the revenues from what people buy. With the Choice, you get the money up front, and that' it.