Riviera: The Promised Land

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Riviera: The Promised Land

#1 Post by Rosstin »

Has anyone else played this besides me? I think it's my favorite video game of all time. It's a combination of a dating sim and an RPG. I think they really nailed it. The overall narrative is largely linear, but the structure of each chapter is unique and incredibly cool. Some are mazes, some are puzzles. The combat system is also one of the best I've experienced from a JRPG.

The team that developed it is called St!ng. They make a lot of experimental games with very unique mechanics, such as Riviera, Yggdra Union, Dokapon, Knights in the Nightmare, and Baroque.

I haven't really been floored by one of their games since Knights in the Nightmare. I'm hoping they come out with something cool to experience again soon! I heard that their last game got so-so reviews, but maybe I'll pick it up anyway. I have a lot more tolerance for their weird experiments than most people, I think.

Rosstin
Veteran

Re: Riviera: The Promised Land

#2 Post by Rosstin »

OMG Sting is so weird.... their latest game is literally about the console wars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdevot ... lack_Heart

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

I played Riviera myself (and Yggdra Union as well). I... think? they are in the same universe, but Yggdra is a full on tactical RPG style game.

Riviera has some really weird gameplay. Instead of being able to explore dungeons you have a limited amount of points to select where to explore on the menu. While an interesting way to add a lot of story to a small dungeon, it is left entirely up to chance if you are able to find rare items, which I didn't really like. I would just rather play your typical jRPG where you can run around. The music is fantastic though.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#4 Post by Fungii »

I owned this back in the day, imported it form the US because it was never released here (I'm assuming). The GBA cartridge was weird, like I could see the chip for the game inside the case if I looked into the bottom. Then one day that little chip fell out and I was basically left with an empty GBA cart.

Rosstin
Veteran

#5 Post by Rosstin »

That's really strange, Fung. Was it a bootleg? Mine was normal.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

You also forgot Gungnir which is also in the same universe as Riviera and Yggdra Union. There is also Blaze Union and Gloria Union, both of which are full sequels to Yggdra Union that were never released in the US due to the PSP's unpopularity, which is a huge shame. Nor were they ever considered for the Vita, etc.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#7 Post by Fungii »

asterazul wrote:That's really strange, Fung. Was it a bootleg? Mine was normal.
Possibly, I was a child at the time so the game was bought via my mothers ebay. I don't remember being a massive fan of what I did play, though. I think I was disappointed because the character I thought was a cute guy was actually a girl :lol:

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#8 Post by sendo »

Cierra a best
I played Riviera and Yggdra Union! I found Yggdra Union too experimental for my tastes though.

I enjoyed Riviera, but like SundownKid I prefer to have freedom when roaming the map. It didn't really bother me that much because I like how they implemented it. My biggest gripe would be the battle system, maybe it's because I'm accustomed with the typical jRPG that allows you to carry infinite amount of items, so I disliked how there's a limit to pretty much everything (very limited items to carry in battle, limited _use_ of items with some exception). It does force you to manage your items well and think of strategies to make the most out of your items. Overall I found it a fun game.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#9 Post by firecat »

oh i played it and in fact i know everything about the game. i also played the yggdra union and beat it without making any sacrifice or died for that matter. those were good times on my youtube years, too bad no one cares about them any more QQ.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#10 Post by Laniessa »

I used to be obsessed with the Dept. Heaven series in general, which... wasn't very good, because I'm actually terrible at gaming. I loved (and still love) the character designs and the extensive lore, though. I finished Riviera with much difficulty, never got past a certain stage on Yggdra Union, and got frustrated when I didn't get all the units for Knights in the Nightmare, but used to use a character's name in my old username, to give an indication of my weird fascination with the series.