Tale of Tales has halted video game production

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

Tale of Tales has halted video game production

#1 Post by somestrangecircus »

This is their farewell post on Tumblr:

http://taleoftales.tumblr.com/post/1221 ... e-sun-sets

It basically boils down to, they spent too much money on the production of Sunset and didn't make enough back in sales.

Thoughts?

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

Re: Tale of Tales has halted video game production

#2 Post by Laiska »

I don't blame them for wanting to move onto other things. It's demoralizing when you work for a very long time and don't get the recognition you want. However, the way they've handled it is almost immature. They've basically thrown a middle finger up to anyone who doesn't acknowledge Sunset, even if they haven't had a chance to. (I only knew about the game on release because of their Twitter- not everyone would!)

In short, they made a walking game about fictional politics, didn't properly advertise it, and then were shocked and upset when it wasn't a smash hit with the mainstream.

Honestly, I hope that this whole reaction is some roundabout work of performance art, because otherwise it loses me a bit of respect for them.
Last edited by Laiska on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#3 Post by somestrangecircus »

I didn't even know the game had been released until a couple days ago, which was apparently after its actual release date...This makes me think that they went wrong somewhere with marketing.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I have complicated feelings. I have supported all of their games going back to The Path. I have given them money on Kickstarter and gotten special editions of Bientotletet. I co-wrote one of the songs on the Sunset soundtrack. I haven't been able to play Sunset yet (looming deadline), though I'm looking forward to it. I am a supporter. I think it is really important that people like them exist and work to expand what video games can be.

On the other hand, I have an article coming out soon that is quite critical of one of their games and their discourse around it. They have said some sketchy things and the article calls them out on it. And some of the things they said about their leaving the industry includes some of the sketchy attitudes I don't like about them.

Tale of Tales have set up Patreons and I've pledged $1 a month to both of them. Bummer that they are going out of business and bummer they are going out the way they are going out.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Initially I was sympathetic towards it, but then I saw some of the stuff they reacted with and it pretty much erased any good will I had towards them. It's one thing to make a game and fail to make enough money to continue, but at least do it with grace. Trying to make different games because you're passionate about games and want to change them is one thing, but this just seems like lashing out at the gaming populace.

As far as Sunset goes, the description didn't really grab me enough to make me want to grab a copy. I feel like when you have a game where you mainly do chores, you have to have a really good hook to get people interested, and I'm not sure the hook was strong enough.