The Beginner's Guide

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
TrufflesVonLaw

The Beginner's Guide

#1 Post by TrufflesVonLaw »

Has anyone played The Beginner's Guide?

It's a PC game that came out ~a week ago by Davey Wreden, who also made The Stanley Parable. It uses a concept I've seen a couple of times in novels (Pale Fire, House of Leaves), being presented as a commentary on a work by another person, but I've never seen it used in a game before.

It's not necessary to have played The Stanley Parable beforehand, but I suggest you do - both because it's a fantastic game in it's own right, and because I suspect a familiarity with Wreden's style aids enjoyment of the story. It's only around an hour long, and nothing changes on multiple replays (despite this, I've already replayed it myself a couple of times), so it may be a little hard to justify the $10 price tag, but I think it's absolutely worth it.

It's a very personal, intimate game, and crams in a lot of different thoughts, both on game design, and the process of art creation in general, and I think it'll stay with me for a lot longer than most other games, and probably most books and movies too.

On the other hand, if you're not a fan of 'walking sims', where there's no gameplay aside from walking, looking and listening to the narration, it probably isn't for you.

For those of you who have played it, what did you think of it?

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: The Beginner's Guide

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

I'm a huge fan of The Stanley Parable and was excited to see that Davey Wreden has a new project out... but I know it'll be months before I actually get around to playing it, so I'm waiting for the next Steam sale.

That's cool to hear it has a "personal" focus. It sounds kind of like The Writer Will Now Do Something, a text game/story about game development.

Image Image