Ronin: Spirit of the sword

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Ronin: Spirit of the sword

#1 Post by mikey »

Okay, I have a problem. There is this game, called Ronin: Spirit of the sword.

http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-38.htm
or directly (sue me)
http://www.2flashgames.com/bhh2okjn23nr ... h/f-38.swf

As far as I know, it's a game focused on combat and you can "get pretty cute girls". I'd be interested to know how you would categorize the game, it seems to have a story (which unfolds as a manga prior to level action), and supposedly there's some hentai... Well, the reason I am posting is... *gulp* (the painful truth now comes out)...

I can't play battling games or RPGs. I tried Ronin several times (I got past the tutorial, actually) because I was curious, for once a Flash game that did not seem stupid right away and seemed to promise just a touch of ren'ai, but I failed miserably, died a thousand deaths before and today as well. Now my frustration knows no end, I've tried all my usual RPG-countermeasures like active cheaters or game hacking software. No effect.

Explanation: 90% of all the games I play are racing games. Brake balance, sway bars adjustment, torque optimalization, that kind of thing. I don't know about HP or magic. Yup, no FFx or other JRPGs played (*fears ban*)

So if anyone is skilled enough to go through a few levels and tell what's it about, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Sure I'll try again (right after I beat Schumacher's qualifying time), but I'd like to know if it's worth it. I probably wouldn't go so far as to say it has enough ren'ai elements to qualify as a ren'ai game, but I don't know (all I've seen is battling).

Good luck with the skuriken traps... (*remembers death*)

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

(I've got various spoiler-like comments posted throughout this post, so highlight it if you want to read more info about what you'd find in the game)

Okay, I played it...I would not classify this game as a renai game...it doesn't really have any renai elements in it. Unless you consider groping women and watching women masturbate -- renai, lol.

I would classify this game as a "First-Person Beat'Em Up" game. Where it has a loose story, and tells this story inbetween "stages". It seems you don't get a background about your character or the woman character. They just happen to be there, and you play as the guy.

You mainly just go around killing anything in your way until you complete your objective, and then find the main woman and talk to her.

You find half-naked women all over the enemy base...just sitting there allowing you to grope them. I don't know why... Other than to please a certain audience, lol.

There are three stages and three difficulty levels.

I'd have to say the fighting engine is REALLY NICE and innovative!! I'd love to see a serious game made with this engine.

If you want to play this game, but suck at it...I figured out how the password works because I got bored. PM me for a password that gives you normal mode, full attack, full hp, full magic, full chi, all magic spells, and 5 atk/chi potions. I'll only give it to people I've seen around this board for a while though. Don't use it to submit a score to their score server because that's cheating! =P The score server isn't working anyway. =P

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Thanks for the info! Well, from what I heard, I'll pass then. Still, I'd say it's one of the better flash games. The music is nice. Wonder if it's original...

side note: I tried like forever with this game, then I make a post and voila... the next day it falls! Oh well...

Tage
Regular

#4 Post by Tage »

No problem! I lived on FPS games for years... n.n It helps I guess, lol. Yah, the music is nice. I may try and emulate the engine one day. I don't know any programming above basic Java though. u.u;

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

I hope you can do it one day Tage. That was a pretty neat game. Those shurikan throws reminded me of Shinobi except Shinobi had running ninjas... :wanders off into nostalgia land: ..... Dang it. I feel like playing Shinobi now. <.<'

Ezzetabi
Regular

#6 Post by Ezzetabi »

Girls I found...

MAKOTO
TUTORIAL
MAI
AYAME
RYOKO
YURI

To see them use the name in the Gallery section.

Do you know anyone other?
My shoujo attack's tutorial page is completed!

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#7 Post by Otaku Dash »

I have Ronin: Spirit of the Sword in a Flash Games Cd, i played the game and i thought it was pretty good. When i saw this thread i was "What? What does Ronin have to do with Bishojo Gaming?" and it was to my surprise that i saw that this is a new version of the Ronin i played. I have to check it out... so i'll put my opinion here later.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Unicorn
Regular

#8 Post by Unicorn »

Ezzetabi wrote: Do you know anyone other?
Well, you should at least know
REI
RED FOX
as well, if you have read the story... :P

I think ther were more, but I don't have them here right now available.

Ezzetabi
Regular

#9 Post by Ezzetabi »

Wow, those two are really hot... :oops:

I did read the story, but I did not think about using main characters names... I just copied the ones said but the girls around...

A new one:
NATSUMI

Unicorn
Regular

#10 Post by Unicorn »

Ezzetabi wrote:Wow, those two are really hot... :oops:
:wink: :twisted: :P
Ezzetabi wrote: A new one:
NATSUMI
Then, I have only one more to offer:
ZELDA

Ezzetabi
Regular

#11 Post by Ezzetabi »

Yet again:
REN

Unicorn
Regular

#12 Post by Unicorn »

Ezzetabi wrote:Yet again:
REN
Got her yesterday too, alltogether with
HITOMI
and
KANAKO

(still playing stage "SHOWDOWN" in level "HARD").

#13 Post by Guest »

Last name of the week (from me at least):
AKARI

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#14 Post by Megaman Z »

Yeah, Ronin: Spirit of the Sword is a good game (I even reviewed it at Newgrounds.com). it is technically a FPS (first person SLASHER), as rare as that genre is becoming. my gripes about it that I may have put in the review (been ages since I played that) is that you can only slash in a downward direction. this means no uppercuts. other than that (and nudity, which, if it's excessive and unnecissary, I dock points off for), it got high marks from me. (please note: it has RPG elements in it. it uses a password system for saving and loading, and someone has already figured out the password system. check the Newgrounds.com reviews for it if you need to cheat!)
~Kitsune Zeta

Gloranor
Regular

#15 Post by Gloranor »

You could also use a memory editor (for example ArtMoney, it is quite easy to use), roll new stats, search for them, re-roll, sieve your last search results, repeat that several times (till the noumber of the adresses stays teh same after the sieve) and then just edit it ;-)
The adresses change each time you load the game, but oh well *g*

BTW, thats possible with almost all games in which you can see exactly how many Hitpoints/Statpoints/money/whatever you have and that don't crash when you switch.