Nocturnal Ilusions

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Otaku Dash
Veteran

Nocturnal Ilusions

#1 Post by Otaku Dash »

Hiya all. I've been hangin on Mikey Site and i've checked the updates on The English Ren'ai enciclopedia, and to my surprise Nocturnal ilusions was there. It came to me... "Oh i remember this one! I had really good fun with it..... better put it back on the computer" :D :P

So this is actually an experience sharing thread... Did you try the game? If yes what did you like about it? Did it make you think?

Personally i really liked the game. The story is emersive and makes you think about fellings and your stance in life. The "Look, think, talk and check" controls give a realistic felling thought it makes it hard to know where to go next. As an opinon, i think the game cold be good even withought H scenes, since some don't make much sence in the storyline and others do. I really like the messages between chapters that helps the mood that the story is inserted.

In sum....yes it is a good game, even if it has H, in the positive and negative side, since a game dosen't need H to be a good one.
Last edited by Otaku Dash on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

Yah, I've played it. :) It was a pretty good game. There wasn't really much choice involved if I can recall correctly... :? All you have to do is figure out what room progresses the storyline right? :?: There are plenty of other english h-games with the same type of controls if you like them... Practically all the old h-games use these control methods.

P.S. Some might consider some of your information spoilers, lol

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#3 Post by Otaku Dash »

Ooops... sorry about that. Removed names of charas due to relate spolier content.

Yeah... i own 3 Sisters story too, wich is a good game too but still has that H scene factor. Both 3 Sis and Nocturnal are realativelly old school games.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Alright, let the nostalgia roll... Season of the Sakura. Can you imagine how crushed I was that you could not end the game with Kyouko-sensei?? :cry: (she effectively is a copy of Misato Katsuragi)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#5 Post by Otaku Dash »

Season of Sakura... man i would really love to play that game...... they say its really good.... but i can't find it anywhere.....

One that i have is Knights of Xentar.... but to my sins the game "blocks" (as in a block crash in the game) right in the beguinning...... and since my computer is a Celeron it can't use DosBox very well...

*DosBoX: a program the emulates dos. It really come sin handy playing old games since it emulates everything from Pc speaker to midis to sondblasters 16. Its the dream program for old school game players.

Tage
Regular

#6 Post by Tage »

Season of the Sakura is still being sold as part of a 3-game collection by JAST USA. The other two games included are Three Sisters' Story and Runaway City. It's called JAST USA Memorial Collection. Probably the best part about the collection is that it runs on Windows XP. Nocturnal Illusion is also still being sold in a different collection called Milky House Memorial. However, it only contains one other game which is Virtual Reality Dating Simulator May Club. Now, if you were referring to finding a bootleg copy... :shock: They're not that hard to find, lol. :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Season of the Sakura is pretty good but a pain to replay from the beginning to get a different girl, iirc. I found Nocturnal Illusions too frustrating to continue, though... that sort of "wander from room to room desperately hoping something will happen" gameplay turns me off really fast unless the plot really gets me. (Divi-Dead, I kept going.)

Tage
Regular

#8 Post by Tage »

You know what? I STILL don't quite understand what the story behind Divi-Dead was... o.o? It was entertaining at least. Stomach-churning during some scenes though. u.u; The best h-game is Crescendo! Play it, you must! It's not a sex-fest game. It actually has a very involved story line with each character. It's $50 though... =\ But it's practically the only good english h-game that has been released in the past few years.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

I think Season of the Sakura is a VERY good game...all of the characters have personalites, everyone has their own motivations and likes and dislikes, your actions make a difference on whether or not you can get a girl later - and when you *get* a girl, the game is over =)

Noctural Illusions was a good game, but there was a bit of *where in the world do I go??* in the game...I did like the personalities of the girls and some of them are VERY believable..some of the scenarios seemed a bit strange though.

Knights of Xentar...well...it's an OK game but it seems that the main goal of the main character is to hook up with as many girls as he can...its a RPG in that you fight monsters, get equipment, etc. with a fair amount of hentai put in, sometimes in places that seem VERY odd...although some of the dialog is VERY funny.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Did someone mention Season of the Sakura? Nostalgia-trip alert! :D

Yes, I'm a big fan of Season of the Sakura. It was the second bishoujo game I ever played, and I still think it's an absolute classic. It just does so well at creating a romantic atmosphere. It also does very well at almost psychically telling which girl you're giving most attention to :o

Hehe, I can imagine mikey would have been disappointed that you can't end the game with Kyouko-sensei, yes ;)

Papillon said it was a pain to replay from the start to attempt a different girl...? I'm not quite sure what alternatives you'd prefer. I wouldn't want a high-school love sim to allow you to just make one choice at the end and get a girl because of that: it's *good* that it cares about your actions all the way through the game!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

DiviDead (Tage) >> I didn't like how the story turned out later (I don't really like that kind of endings), but the way the title made sense was just great.

Season of the Sakura (OtakuDash) >> The JAST Mem Collection is really worth the 20-something Euro. Hours and hours of play... Sakura was my FIRST game and since I couldn't have HER, I chose Reiko. When I saw her at the swimming pool with those watery eyes, I realized there just might be other game genres than racing :P That was the beginning. Although I played it just that one time because I didn't want to ruin that... err... relationship to the game.

Herzeleid

#12 Post by Herzeleid »

Season Of The Sakura rocks because it has a good atmosphere and it also has my favorite character (Ruri <3) :lol:
But my favorite game in that genre (I don't really care much for hentai) is Kana ~ Little Sister because it just has the most excellent plot ever, just get this game! :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

Oh, I didn't say there was anything wrong particularly with the idea of having to start over, I just seem to vaguely recall there wasn't a convenient way to skip through scenes you'd already played that hadn't changed at all. Which is more common in newer games. It's still a good game, I just wanted fast-forwarding. It's been YEARS though, I don't remember verywell.

Tage
Regular

#14 Post by Tage »

mikey: Ooohh myyy gooooodness... I NEVER REALIZED THAT ABOUT THE TITLE!! X.x; DUH! Yah, the ending killed me... I was like..."wtf? This just took a turn for the worst..."

Crescendo is probably what inspired me to make a renai game... Well, of course if I was playing Crescendo, that is a good sign I was into h-games... Lol. But Crescendo was the first game that truly connected with me emotionally. Of course I cried when I played Kana~Little Sister, but Crescendo took me further than just sad emotions. After I played Crescendo...I lost interest in h-games... My mind had shifted to renai games. Each individual storyline was that good. Every h-game I played after that was boring. They were all, simply put, sex fests. No story, no emotional connection, no logical actions, nothing. Even games I had previously enjoyed SUCKED. Crescendo successfully converted me, lol.

The story is that you are graduating from highschool, and you'll most likely never see any of your friends again... There are 5 different characters you can end up with. Well, unless you count the 6th hidden character. :wink: Each of the 5 main characters have well-developed background stories. They all have unique personalities. All the choices allowed me to make choices I WANTED to make. And all the choices had outcomes that I WANTED to happen. It made me feel like I really was the character. They're all dubbed in Japanese, and their emotions fit perfectly. The music draws you into the mood. There are no "out-of-story" sex scenes. Everything is just perfect... I'd play it again if I didn't have so much schoolwork to do. u.u; There's actually a semi-cameo appearance from a couple characters from Kana~Little Sister, lol. I loved the artwork too. Let's see... I honestly connected with each character I worked to get the ending with--4 out of 6. I still haven't tried to get the endings of the last 2 yet. That's really good considering I never connected with any character before that game. As you may have noticed, I'm not good at writing reviews, lol.