Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma

#1 Post by hoihoisoi »

I haven't seen a topic created about ZTD around here yet, so I decided to create one if you guys don't mind.

Also, spoiler warning in case anything in depth about the story is discussed down below after this post.

I won't give it too much of a review, but my 21 hour experience of it was overall really good. I really like the game for both the puzzles and the story which the Zero Escape series have always been able to execute just friggin great most of the time. But I find it eventually doesn't tie up quite a few loose ends here and there, not within the game itself but from the previous game. And that ending in the end, it kind of made my heart sink after the whole adventure. Man, I wanted like a final conclusionary timeline where everything is eventually answered and not a question is left untouched. But now that we know the series has ended with ZTD, I wonder if we'll ever get answers to those questions.

I don't mind another Zero Escape game to answer all the questions to tell the truth, but it's probably going to be quite a while if not never for the next one. Sigh. D:
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

daisychainlinks

Re: Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma

#2 Post by daisychainlinks »

I absolutely loved the other games in the series so I bought Zero Time Dilemma from the 3DS eshop the minute it was released. I was looking forward to it for quite some time! To be completely honest I don't think it lived up to how amazingly well-written 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward were, although it wasn't a bad game in the slightest. It had some great new characters (Carlos is easily one of my favourites in the entire series) and some very emotional moments too. Not to mention the puzzles were really good, and while they were challenging and made you think, they didn't make you tear your hair out like some of the puzzles in VLR!

I do have a few criticisms, mostly to do with D-Team's narrative.
For one, Sigma seemed to be rather out of character at some points, even considering it's his older consciousness in his young body. His "unconditional love" speech was just so... strange? Considering he already seemed to have those feelings towards Luna, K, Phi in VLR. Secondly, the transporter. I don't know, it just felt like a lazy explanation for several big plot points, especially since it was allegedly alien technology which seems far-fetched, even for a ZE game. Lastly, I do agree there were a few loose ends from the previous games that weren't addressed, particularly what happened to K and '?' from the secret end of VLR.

Overall, I think it was a pretty good game, although I agree it would be nice to have a fourth game to fully conclude the series!