Cause of Death and Surviving High School Makers Return!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Cause of Death and Surviving High School Makers Return!

#1 Post by trooper6 »

Hey all!

I know there were some fans here of Cause of Death and Surviving High School. I found them some of the best episodic VNs (that never used the phrase VN) I've played. I just found out that after they were shut down by EA, old members of the original studio when out and formed a new studio called Pixelberry studios. They can a new game app called Choices that has three different games in it: Most Wanted (the mis-matched pair of detectives with sexual tension solve crimes), The Freshman (drama in school), and a fantasy game.

Anyhow, I just found out about it and thought y'all might want to know about it as well!

http://www.pixelberrystudios.com

Anyone playing them yet? I just started with Most Wanted. I think it is interesting that it is set in LA rather than SF...but it makes me miss Cause of Death. I'll give it a chance though. I haven't played the other two games yet, but I will eventually.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

victorita9
Regular

Re: Cause of Death and Surviving High School Makers Return!

#2 Post by victorita9 »

I just played the fantasy game and the romance game book 1. The romance book definable felt more complete for people that didn't buy the extra choices. In the romance book the extra choices were a pg-13 sex scene. In the fantasy book, some of the paid for choices definitely punished me for not buying it. For example one choice had me either saving a bear that was trying to kill me(paid choice), or being forced to murder it.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Cause of Death and Surviving High School Makers Return!

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I have really enjoyed what I've played so far for the most part. However, like you, I am not all that happy with the "pay money for extra scenes" model. I get that they need to monetize their game in some way, but I wish they had monetized in a different way.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978