Mystery games?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
PhantomH

Mystery games?

#1 Post by PhantomH »

I've been craving for these ever since I first played the Phoenix Wright trilogy. So far, I have beaten Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Trace Memory and Famicon Detective Club Part 2 (SNES ver).

Does anyone know where I can find more like these (Preferebly in english, obviously)? I was gonna get Time Hollow back in late August but the game got delayed to Sept. 23 or somewhere around there :( .
Current Project - Search Memories: Glint Of Truth

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Mystery games?

#2 Post by papillon »

Well, Fatal Hearts is only sort of a mystery, but then, Trace Memory isn't quite a mystery either, they're both adventurey. I'm looking forward to Time Hollow too. :)

Ever 17 is a mystery story-wise, but it's not an adventure... there are no puzzles (ONE puzzle, sort of). It's a great story, though, if you can find a copy and are into lots of reading.

You might want to try Time's Tear, which is short, free, and English.

For games in Japanese, there is Nominal Escape which I don't really know much about but does contain puzzles and inventory, and Maria-sama ga gyakuten which is supposed to be a Phoenix Wright parody / Marimite fangame but I know nothing more than that.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Wintermoon »

poodlepoodle

#4 Post by poodlepoodle »

There's a cute mystery game for DS called Mystery Detective (or Touch Detective, depending on where you live). I liked it!

PhantomH

#5 Post by PhantomH »

I consider Trace Memory as a mystery since you're supposedly finding out about who D is and how he died, and events that happened in the the mansion on the island.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

Two questions: how far back are you willing to go, and are good graphics a requirement?

Reason I ask is if you are looking for a good <well, I think it's good!> game but the graphics are pretty weak <EGA graphics only> you might try J B Harold in Murder Club...I found it in Home of the Underdogs but you might be able to get it elsewhere too...good game, pretty engaging, a bit of a surprise as far as who did it...good stuff!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Suzu

#7 Post by Suzu »

D= Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It also has awesome puzzles throughout you need to solve to further the mystery.
And the art is cute and wonderful. xD It's a pretty good murder mystery, however, a lot of the main fun lies in solving all the puzzles in the game. Buy it. Because it's awesome. >>'' (<-- Poor reasoning)

PhantomH

#8 Post by PhantomH »

musical74 wrote:Two questions: how far back are you willing to go, and are good graphics a requirement?

Reason I ask is if you are looking for a good <well, I think it's good!> game but the graphics are pretty weak <EGA graphics only> you might try J B Harold in Murder Club...I found it in Home of the Underdogs but you might be able to get it elsewhere too...good game, pretty engaging, a bit of a surprise as far as who did it...good stuff!
The graphics to me don't really matter much as long as it isn't based on realistic graphics (I don't know why, but realistic graphics seems to turn me off :\ ). As for Professor Layton, I actually did give that game a go but I kind of forgotten about it :? .

Einheri

#9 Post by Einheri »

I love mystery games and I love most of the games you mentioned. My suggestion is to play EVE Burst Error. It's a great detective mystery thriller and it was translated into English. It won't be easy to find a copy though. Here are some reviews of the game:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/eveburste ... Error.html
http://www.mobygames.com/game/saturn/ev ... erId,6226/

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#10 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Umineko no Naku Koro ni!!!

A number of the IRC regulars will tell you how much I could go on and on about this one.

TL Project information is here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ku_Koro_ni

The first episode is already TL'd, so you can get a start into it, but it gets absolutely insane from episode 2 on.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Yes, he goes on and on about that one.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

How about Jake Hunter Detective Chronicles? It's a DS games and it has three mini cases that span for about two hours per case. Too bad that you don't have to think (AT ALL) to play the game, so it's kinda detective e-novel rather than detective visual novel ^_^

PhantomH

#13 Post by PhantomH »

I'll give EBE a look. As for Jake Hunter, I was also thinking about trying it too but I heard a lot of bad things about it so I might pass it off. I also don't like how some stuff like some cases were removed in the US.