Doujin...

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Doujin...

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

Is there any other doujin games in english other than in renai.us?

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Doujin...

#2 Post by N0UGHTS »

I don't know anything other than insani and the RAA...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Newgrounds, and anything flash-related tend to pop up now and then.

As for doujin VNs with their dedicated engines... very rarely do they pop out independent of Ren'Py - Onscripter communities.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

The only other people I know writing such things in GM have also found their way here to promote their games. :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

The magic of search engines

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

A quick search for 'doujin soft' brought up a variety of sites, some of them not safe for work. One relevant archive had a number of untranslated games -- but many of them were not text-heavy. "Azumanga Volleyball" doesn't require much knowledge of written Japanese.

A search for 'doujin games' got slightly different results, including a link from a BL game site, and a neat article from Hardcore Gaming 101. It includes a fascinating quote: "I'm surprised [magazines such as PC Gamer are] not that desperate yet to cover anything about what goes on over there since the Japanese doujin gaming scene alone would be more than enough to add a few extra pages in order to attract readers who would be interested in these kinds of games. Maybe it's because they'd rather get fragged in real life by a rocket launcher instead of being associated with that kind of group and having to deal with games that are unable to push their bleeding-edge hardware to its absolute limits." That says something about a number of English-speaking PC gamers...
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Raide
Regular
Projects: Katawa Shoujo

#6 Post by Raide »

What do you mean of doujin games? There are playable games without any necessity of translation such as Azumanga Volleyball gekiganwing mentioned. Either you're looking for:

1. Fan-translated downloadable games such as Narcissu, A Midsummer's Day Resonance, Collage and True Remembrance
2. Translation patch for established games such Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume and incoming chaos;head
3. Common dojin game (released at Comiket) such as Magical Battle Arena and Touhou

For number three, go check what I think the best hosting site at http://www.doujinstyle.com/ Don't know much about this site since a friend just told me about it once, and he's an avid dojin game player while I almost have no experience with one.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

Well, doujin games are free game made by fans, I'm gonna use it for references (especially for my grammar, hehe) and inspiration since I don't have that much money to buy the "real" ones and I'm out of ideas.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#8 Post by Asceai »

'doujin' doesn't necessarily imply free or by 'fans' - I'd compare the doujin scene to the independent gaming scene, for example; there's free works, there's works for sale etc.

Anyway, free doujin VNs with English localisations, outside the ones insani and deja vu have translated (plus the ones that were translated as part of various al|together events)? Unfortunately, you're out of luck.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Raide wrote: For number three, go check what I think the best hosting site at http://www.doujinstyle.com/ Don't know much about this site since a friend just told me about it once, and he's an avid dojin game player while I almost have no experience with one.
Thanks for the heads up, I bumped into the site before but couldn't remember where to get all the neat Comiket stuff (I used torrents) but it looks like a neat repository.

Unfortunately the vast experience of doujin games for me has been little more than 5-minute STGs and Mario clones. I am really craving a more in-depth experience... would something like a doujin version of a console RPG like Lunar or Final Fantasy be too much to ask? (I'm a gamer, but my motor skills are sorely lacking)

Raide
Regular

#10 Post by Raide »

Motor skills sorely lacking... for a game? You mean you want one that gives the experience of console adventure and RPG game? The friend who is dojin game player I told you about is playing Recettear at the moment, and looks like it's suited to what you're looking for. Understanding of Japanese language is considered necessary for this game though, and I guess that's why I'm in doubt whether I should download it or no.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Sweet! I'm copying the English comments so I have something to refer to should I get stuck. Man they should just have had an RPG subcategory... I would have never looked for it under Action. I wonder if there are any other games like that and Chantelise providing the 'ultimate JRPG Console experience' but instead for the PC.

Raide
Regular

#12 Post by Raide »

I was confused whether 'motor skills are sorely lacking' means you don't want dexterity-based games or you want more of it. But hope the game is as satisfying as what you expect^^

Nowadays it's hard to find those kind of JRPG console experience since most are experimental (Persona 3 & 4, .hack//G.U., Odin Sphere, Etrian Odysey, The World Ends With You). Dunno about NDS new FFIV and Dragon Quest..

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Raide wrote:
Nowadays it's hard to find those kind of JRPG console experience since most are experimental (Persona 3 & 4, .hack//G.U., Odin Sphere, Etrian Odysey, The World Ends With You). Dunno about NDS new FFIV and Dragon Quest..
Those are my favorite games, hehe.
Anywaaays, seems like most of the results when I google'd it were in Japanese tough...
So I'll re-play all VN from renai.us!

Raide
Regular

#14 Post by Raide »

Azure, one game title come to my mind in case you haven't played it yet: The PK Girl. For strict definition it's not a doujin game, but amateur/indie game made by non-Japanese with adventure, puzzle, and bishoujo elements. Consider it a visual novel with classic adventure interface; type 'go north', 'take knife', 'talk to [character]' on the screen, enter, and observe the result.

The game requires you to setup a third party program called ADrift and load the game over there; kinda complicated but the gaming experience are worth it. Too bad the website seems to be down atm, but if you want it I can upload or send it up to you.

Sylon

#15 Post by Sylon »

DaFool wrote: Unfortunately the vast experience of doujin games for me has been little more than 5-minute STGs and Mario clones. I am really craving a more in-depth experience... would something like a doujin version of a console RPG like Lunar or Final Fantasy be too much to ask? (I'm a gamer, but my motor skills are sorely lacking)
Give Yume Nikki a try- It's been translated into English. It's an RPG about a girl who keeps a dream diary- the gameplay is within dreams.

Said girl, the character you control, is mentally disturbed, so expect to see some disturbing things in there. Even if it is in 8-bit.

I can't say much, since I have yet to try it (I'm not good with these in general). It's free to download, by the way, so just do an Internet search.

Another doujin game is the famous Cave Story. Once again, free to download. It combines RPG and platformer elements for hours of gaming. The first time I played it, it kept me hooked for hours.

It's also been translated, so you shouldn't have much trouble with it.