Know of any games like this...?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
maddiesilvia

Know of any games like this...?

#1 Post by maddiesilvia »

I'm looking for (preferably free) games that have a fake social network/email/computer/etc. format. Examples: Mystic Messenger, Tokyo 13, Alone Together. I'm also looking for the name of a game like this I played before. It had an artificial intelligence that would split itself and when you were talking to the split part it would ask you a question and then express fear at merging back. There was also a message board where a girl would post and if you didn't do a certain thing she would commit suicide(?). And if you picked the answer to the question before that was centered around your and the ai's relationship, I'm pretty sure you were locked into a bad end where the ai would be killed by hackers.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: Know of any games like this...?

#2 Post by Alcor »

Are you thinking of digital: a love story?

maddiesilvia

#3 Post by maddiesilvia »

That's not the specific game I'm looking for, but has the same type of interface/general idea I'm looking for, so thank you.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#4 Post by Alcor »

maddiesilvia wrote:That's not the specific game I'm looking for, but has the same type of interface/general idea I'm looking for, so thank you.
Ah, alright. I thought the second game you mentioned sounded somewhat like it, but I guess it was not. Hopefully someone else will be able to figure out which games you mentioned, though!

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

If you like Digital: A Love Story, you should also check out the other games the same creator did that also have computer interfaces like that! There's Don't Take It Personally . . . (which is also free), Analogue: A Hate Story, and Analogue's direct sequel (although they're all vaguely related to each other) Hate Plus.

Unfortunately I don't think I know the exact game you're looking for either, but it sounds interesting! I hope someone else can find it.
ImageImageImage

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Don't Take it Personally was made with Renpy :)
It is rated G, but there is one image containing nudity included.

I should start that game when I have time (¬ ¬)

To a small extent, the Steins;Gate series has a phone messaging system.
In the first game, your responses to seemingly trivial messages locked and unlocked different route endings.
In the sequal cum extension, Steins;Gate 0, it is replaced with a FaceBook like chat app and an AI is added which you can converse with at certain toimes. Your conversations with the AI and some other in-game choices, determine which of two main routes and several sub routes you end up on.

Steins;Gate 0 makes no sense without Steins;Gate, so despite the "zero", read/play it last.
Both games are commercial, but you can pick up the first for $20USD new and the second is around $40USD, cheaper if you buy it second hand.

For other games featuring AI, try Danganronpa (also commercial)

The game you describe is familiar, but I cannot place it, sorry.
For some reason Serial Experiments Lain keeps coming to mind.
Googling turns up a Ren'Py game lol
https://lain.wiki/wiki/Lain_visual_novel_project
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

Digital: A love Story; Don't Take It Personally; Analogue: A Hate Story; Hate Plus; Ladykiller in a Bind were *all* made in Ren'Py. Those games are great examples of what can be done with Ren'Py.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978