Which Ren'ai games would you trade your soul to be tranlated

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Binki
Regular

Which Ren'ai games would you trade your soul to be tranlated

#1 Post by Binki »

After skimming through ebay I noticed that there where about 4 people selling souls. Then this question occured to me ( Note: I do not mean to offend anyone, this is just a little joke ^_^ ): Which Ren'ai games would you trade your soul to be translated into english/your native tounge?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#2 Post by papillon »

I don't know if it counts as ren'ai, but the fact that the Utena game is both on an obscure system that I don't own AND is not in English drives me nuts. :)

Satan

#3 Post by Satan »

Consider it done >)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Wow, I'm getting big-name famous people (er, beings) on the board now! :lol:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#5 Post by chronoluminaire »

I'm not sure I'd go *quite* as far as to offer my soul. I'm kinda attached to it, we go back a long way. But I'd offer quite a sizeable fraction of my worldly possessions for a translation of Tokimeki Memorial: the classic, that started it all off, and which already has hundreds of voices calling for its translation. Beyond that... not much... I'd really like to see more of Mizuiro translated beyond the 25% that ayashii have done... I was really looking forward to Gun Shield Warrior SAKIGAKE!!, the translation of which I'd preordered an' all before it was cancelled. But these days Galaxy Angel would be even higher on my list, as the same type of idea but with characters I already know and love.

(None taken, of course ;))

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

I don't have a specific wish to be honest, and for my part, I will be happier to find a translated game that is not all tokimemo and Key-made (you know the usual line up), because there is already so much info on it out there, that it's in a way spoiling. I'd really be glad if a silent but good release were to come around, things from Digiturbo (Phantom, Hourglass) were both great in their own ways, so I rather "discover" new games than sign petitions for translating existing ones, but that's me :roll:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yeah, we already knew you're not a fan of doing things the conventional way, mikey ;)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by mikey »

Well, in certain areas I'd say - people are often surprised how often I like the designated commercial things - when they see me listening to "mindless" trance music instead of say songs with a message, or watch b-rated action movies instead of quality entertainment ^_^, so in fact more often than not I tend to actually prefer the big hits. :?

But enough about me,... actually when I read Binky's post again I noticed native tongue - it got my attention a little. I think Slovak is a great language for any text-based art form and I have received some requests for translating my/others' games into Slovak. The point is, it sort of doesn't feel right. When translating, I often end up rewriting paragraph by paragraph, because the whole sentence (and even paragraph) structure must be different and some situations seem strange when people talk - I was translating Black Pencil for a while and the conversations just felt all wrong - I had to rewrite the whole scene, with Yuki talking about other things and so on - the subzigmatic quantifier joke for instance (if you remember) shows some of Yuki's personality - in Slovak the whole thing and the subsequent conversation/thoughts feel totally wrong and unnatural. It's a different mentality and if Yuki were to have a Slovak (basically also Slavic) mentality, she'd make a completely different remark, playful yes, but in a totally different way. It is disturbing even more so when you know that the Japanese mentality is also different, so you can guess just how much of those subtle things get lost in translation. That's why I actually would prefer re-writing rather than translating. When I make an English game I think English. If it's a Slovak text, I think Slovak. I did it in my upcoming project which has two versions, that are very different (in storytelling) just so they can be the same (in effect).

Oh man, another long post... :?

Satan

#9 Post by Satan »

:evil: Mikey, I need your soul... What can I entice you with? :twisted:

darkknight
Veteran

#10 Post by darkknight »

Dude I will sell my soul for a monkey!!!!!! No No wait Two monkeys!!!!!
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Satan wrote::evil: Mikey, I need your soul... What can I entice you with? :twisted:
Yeah, a monkey sounds nice, I've always wanted one of those, but... do you have a 30-day no questions asked soul refund policy?

Grey
Veteran

#12 Post by Grey »

Satan wrote::evil: Mikey, I need your soul... What can I entice you with? :twisted:
Just offer him 26 hour days. With the prospect of 14 extra hours to do even more work in you'll have him hook, line and sinker :lol:

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#13 Post by Megaman Z »

[L. Zeta]I'll trade D. Zeta's soul for an english version of that ren'ai maker that was mentioned somewhere around here... the one by enterbrain
[D. Zeta]wha-what! fine then. I'll trade L. Zeta's soul for an english version of RPG tsukuru XP
[L. Zeta](kinda late, because there already is one!)
[D. Zeta] huh? there is? god-[mic cut off]
[L. Zeta] heh heh heh...
~Kitsune Zeta

Eiji
Regular

#14 Post by Eiji »

not sure about the "soul" part.. but I'd love to see the following..

-Pia Carrot (h-scenes or not)
-Tokimeki Memorial
-Sentimental Graffiti
-Sakura Taisen (ok.. its part wargame, but I LOVE steampunk and pretty girls in them.. :D )
"Who's the more foolish? the Fool? or the Fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

"if you could tune into the fantasy life of a 9 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this buisness" -- George Lucas

darkknight
Veteran

#15 Post by darkknight »

well for a game uhhh i have a secret... i dont know any Ren'ai games....I have only played like three of them...so i dont know any non-translated ones
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....