Casual ren'ai games in English [formerly My Boyfriend (DS)]

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Casual ren'ai games in English [formerly My Boyfriend (DS)]

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Why yes, there is a DS game simply called "My Boyfriend." Evidence from this retail site here: http://www.game.co.uk/DS/Action/~r33575 ... friend/?s=

It's about to be released in the UK. But so far, that's all I know. No news on whether it's virtual life or some kind of simulation. I'm curious now...
Last edited by gekiganwing on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: My Boyfriend (DS)

#2 Post by N0UGHTS »

The image from game.co.uk didn't work for me, and I refreshed several times, so...

According to this, it's a simulation. Yeah, I Googled... Turns out there's already a torrent for the thing. And yes, it is the same game.
Haha, for a second, I thought it was that BL game with the similar title in Japanese... Oh, (European) otome. Suurprise surprise.
Still Googling, and I haven't found anything related to DTP or Squire.

I think "DTP" means "desktop-published," though that's probably not relevant to anything, and it turns out SQUiRE 's made [url=httphttp://www.gmforum.org/index.php?topic=44917.0]other games[/url]. Err... I guess they're like a German doujin circle? Or indie game developer, whichever one fits the card better. could be some sort of German DS game translation circle. So it looks like they've translated Element Girls and even SimCity Creator.

Ah, my hopes dashed. It looks like it's aimed at the same demographic that enjoys Barbie Horse Adventures.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#3 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Oh nuu.

That'd be so awsome to finally have a hentai game for GIRLS that wasn't yaoi. (Not that I could play it, being a 16 year old girl.)

Actually, I was thinking about making a game like that without H, reverse harem... Not like Ouran, though. The men would be straight lol. And, manly. Yup.
Life, Liberty and RAINBOWS OF HAPPINESS

http://angelicalchemey.deviantart.com/

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by N0UGHTS »

Blasphemer! Men can be manly and gay/bisexual at the same time! :grumble grumble grumble:

Maybe you haven't been exposed to the right BL... Not all of the guys are twinksies.

...You've never heard of any otome games, have you?
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#5 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Well, they can. But not the Ouran boys. xD

Well, I'm not into Yaoi. =-=; Just doesn't turn me on, really, unless it's trap yaoi. Not that I'm against it though. Not to mention my friend drives me crazy with her love for torture yaoi. =____=;
Life, Liberty and RAINBOWS OF HAPPINESS

http://angelicalchemey.deviantart.com/

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

That'd be so awsome to finally have a hentai game for GIRLS that wasn't yaoi.
There are several of those but not on the DS - nintendo doesn't do hentai! :)

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Showsni »

papillon wrote:
That'd be so awsome to finally have a hentai game for GIRLS that wasn't yaoi.
There are several of those but not on the DS - nintendo doesn't do hentai! :)
Well, Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland has the PEGI symbol for sex on the box, which disturbs me a little... And you don't get much more Nintendo than Zelda games! Other than Mario games. (Which reminds me, there's a Mario game where you have to play as Princess Peach, but naked, with a sentient computer watching you...)

Basically, Nintendo is just subtler about sex. But it's still there.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

I hadn't heard about Element Girls. Seems to be either a real life organizer, or perhaps a virtual life game about fashion.

Papillon said, "That'd be so awsome to finally have [an H] game for GIRLS that wasn't yaoi." Well, well. Here's a link from the Boys Love Games Headquarters message board which will help: http://blgames.proboards25.com/index.cg ... &thread=13 It will take some time to scroll through the list, since it mentions just about every Japanese otome/BL/gay game ever released on Windows. (Elsewhere in the forum, there's discussions about console games in those genres.) But be sure to search for the phrase 18+ Girl. You'll find several adult otome games, going back as far as the year 2000.

I imported Freshly-Picked Tingle, and it was... not quite as awesome as I'd hoped. The oddest combat I've ever seen. Very few indications of what to do next (should Tingle go for broke when talking to people? should the character gradually build up resources?). Even though it had slightly dirty humor, and was interesting-because-it-was-different, it didn't hold my attention.

Anyway, back on topic. N0UGHTS was annoyed because My Boyfriend "...looks like it's aimed at the same demographic that enjoys Barbie Horse Adventures." Perhaps. But at least it's a start. Ain't too easy to publish crazy artsy games without first creating something commercial. Games and money are a One True Pairing (Games x Money OTP!), and companies which focus on obscure genres tend to fold.

A relevant product link from DTP's own page: http://www.dtp-entertainment.com/en/gam ... 9&landid=1

EDIT: I double checked the BL games forum link, and it didn't work. If it won't work for you, then 1) wait, or 2) just go to http://blgames.proboards25.com/index.cgi and hope you don't get the "Failed to connect to the WWW server" message that I got.

2nd EDIT: I kept browsing the DTP site, and stumbled across a game called Kiss After Midnight. Not an adult game. The graphics are Sims 2-inspired, but the page promises "...several episodes which tell the story of the game`s main characters. The individual storylines are intricately interwoven but open-ended." That's different. Their two graphic adventure games, both with female leads, could be unique.

...The company's also publishing a game called Red Ocean, which is amusing, because it's a term about corporations that compete over a small set of customers. Neither graphic adventure games nor casual, girl-oriented games are part of the "red ocean." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ocean_Strategy

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by N0UGHTS »

I wasn't exactly annoyed by the whole "Barbie" thing. Just disappointed. And here I was hoping for an otome game (that would appeal to me).

It wasn't papillon who said "That'd be so awesome..."

And you're right. It's a start, at least.
World Community Grid

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#10 Post by papillon »

Yeah, I was the one *already saying* there were such games. :) But not in English, at the moment.

I'm not interested enough in 18+ otome to bother buying one from Japan and struggling through the automatic translation. I do wish more companies were willing to talk to me though.

Tomoko
Regular

#11 Post by Tomoko »

the game ist just... nerve-racking. I started to play it in German language and the "3D" environment nor "3D" guys and girls are nice to look at. You can do things like make up, boring part time jobs and I am stuck in the game where you have to impress your crush's friends with the right makeup and clothing. Found no FAQ in the web since it quite unpopular lol. Really... There are 3 kinds of boys: Rebel, musician and emo and all three of them are quite unattractive >.>.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

Found no FAQ in the web since it quite unpopular lol.
In video gaming fandom, male fans who like Serious Games [as in "the internet is serious business"] (especially action, sports, and shooters) are still the dominating force. So be glad if you find even an FAQ in English for any cute game, or any untranslated VN or ren'ai game.

I'm annoyed with this trend -- especially since these days, you can actually find more than one or two video games in English which cater to girls, or which cater to kids and families. But the (I don't like to use this word...) fanboys still rule the intarwebz.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#13 Post by papillon »

Even the girly sites appear to hate 'My Boyfriend'. Most people refuse to admit they've ever seen a copy. I've found reviews and guides for a lot of glitterpink games by looking outside the hardcore mainstream sites, but not THAT game - the closest thing to a review was someone warning others to avoid it at all costs.

Luckily a Princess Debut guide isn't so hard to come by!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#14 Post by rioka »

It sounds like they're just insecure of themselves. Some people do find it bad to be seen playing dating sim games because that reflects on them - "why are you playing that game? can't get a real guy of your own? something wrong with you?". It's cute to play such games when it features little girls but when the character is an older female, it might just hit too close to home for the older female gamers out there. <_< Bah, what a bunch of &$*#)@

Fang-tan
Regular

#15 Post by Fang-tan »

AngelicCarrot wrote:Oh nuu.

That'd be so awsome to finally have a hentai game for GIRLS that wasn't yaoi. (Not that I could play it, being a 16 year old girl.)
I actually played an otome game that had a yuri end.

It was the greatest day of my life.
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)