Something to ponder about dating sims

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

Something to ponder about dating sims

#1 Post by deerchan »

I watch a lot of dating sim openings and look at the websites for them (What can I say, they're cute, they also inspire me to do better in my own artwork) I've noticed that for most of them, the music, artwork and website designs seem like they would appeal more to young girls more than the men who actually buy the games. (Besides the hetai cg section)

I was just on a site and it was completely pink, with a pink plad background with lace on it, adorable chibis everywhere... I'm guessing maybe they make the website pink and lacey to make it feel like you're in a girl's room (I could see otakus liking that) but to anyone that's not a complete otaku and doesn't understand that kind of moe, it seems like it would be extremely girly and something that would attract girls.

Sorry to bring up a strange topic, I hope I didn't offend anyone, but the question has been in my mind for a long time now: Do the Japanese just really, really like cute stuff, or are they trying to appeal to female buyers as well?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

Re: Something to ponder about dating sims

#2 Post by Melkoshi »

I think it is just that japanese really do like cute stuff. I found this on wikipedia XD

"As a cultural phenomenon, cuteness is increasingly accepted in Japan as a part of Japanese culture and national identity. Tomoyuki Sugiyama, author of "Cool Japan", believes that "cuteness" is rooted in Japan's harmony-loving culture, and Nobuyoshi Kurita, a sociology professor at Musashi University in Tokyo, has stated that "cute" is a "magic term" that encompasses everything that's acceptable and desirable in Japan."

I also heard about a japanese fetish(sorta?) for anything cute. Idk how true that is, but I've seen alot of non sexual japanese movies(like girls in bikinis boxing, lol whut?) with cute girls doing cute things.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Japanese INDEED love cute things. They have "kawaii" culture and cute is everyday life for them. For those who have been there should know what I mean.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

deerchan wrote:...the music, artwork and website designs seem like they would appeal more to young girls more than the men who actually buy the games...
Deerchan, do you know much about Nanatsuiro Drops? If not, look at Hinano's almost-worksafe review here: http://breadmasterlee.wordpress.com/200 ... iro-drops/ You'll notice lots... and lots of cuteness and pink in the artwork. Almost to the point of resembling Cardcaptor Sakura. (Probably not a coincidence.) The drawings were created by Ito Noiji, who is female. But this is an H game, with one boy and three girls.

There's some other ren'ai game and otome game reviews which may interest you while you're on Hinano's site. Again, it's kinda worksafe...

For a stark contrast, search for The Exorcism of Maria. This game features a female lead, and it's meant for a female audience. But if you read this relevant thread on My Neoromance -- http://forum.my-neoromance.com/index.ph ... =331&st=40 -- then you'll find out the story is quite bleak. The art is not especially cute or happy.

[post edited for clarity]

deerchan
Regular

#5 Post by deerchan »

gekiganwing wrote:
deerchan wrote:...the music, artwork and website designs seem like they would appeal more to young girls more than the men who actually buy the games...
Deerchan, do you know much about Nanatsuiro Drops? If not, look at Hinano's almost-worksafe review here: http://breadmasterlee.wordpress.com/200 ... iro-drops/ You'll notice lots... and lots of cuteness and pink in the artwork. Almost to the point of resembling Cardcaptor Sakura. (Probably not a coincidence.) The drawings were created by Ito Noiji, who is female. But this is an H game, with one boy and three girls.

There's some other ren'ai game and otome game reviews which may interest you while you're on Hinano's site. Again, it's kinda worksafe...

For a stark contrast, search for The Exorcism of Maria. This game features a female lead, and it's meant for a female audience. But if you read this relevant thread on My Neoromance -- http://forum.my-neoromance.com/index.ph ... =331&st=40 -- then you'll find out the story is quite bleak. The art is not especially cute or happy.

[post edited for clarity]
I LOVE Nanatsuiro Drops, and all of Noiji's work, actually all of Unisonsoft/shift's games. x3 Maybe it is a fetish or something like that...

Nayru
Regular
Projects: Short OC's BL game

#6 Post by Nayru »

deerchan wrote: I was just on a site and it was completely pink, with a pink plad background with lace on it, adorable chibis everywhere... I'm guessing maybe they make the website pink and lacey to make it feel like you're in a girl's room (I could see otakus liking that) but to anyone that's not a complete otaku and doesn't understand that kind of moe, it seems like it would be extremely girly and something that would attract girls.
I wonder how a not complete otaku, or at least a not otaku would end up there expecting to actually understand something.

Also I think they are just looking for a moe style. If it's a site featuring girls it's not strange for it to be "girly", it's because of the content. If you're looking for a game with girls on it, the look goes along with the content, it's part of it and it's in the end what the audience might be looking for. Doing a work with too much contrast, even if targeted for boys might make it look like losing part of the moe which the player is looking for.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#7 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I think someone should make a dating sim with girls.... for girls. With a girl as the main character, in a harem situation. :D
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Nayru
Regular
Projects: Short OC's BL game

#8 Post by Nayru »

JinzouTamashii wrote:I think someone should make a dating sim with girls.... for girls. With a girl as the main character, in a harem situation. :D
That would be something curious to see. Also quite a challenge...but the result could be interesting.

wrathie

#9 Post by wrathie »

JinzouTamashii wrote:I think someone should make a dating sim with girls.... for girls. With a girl as the main character, in a harem situation. :D
Try harvest moon, but that's not a sim.

And a Dating Sim for girls would be highly unfeasible, it's more likely to be based on a Yuri relationship than one of a straight relationship.

and, taiwan drama serials are FULL of that.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

And a Dating Sim for girls would be highly unfeasible
uh... why? There's at least one person working on a dating sim for girls on this forum at the moment with plenty to show for it, and many other projects in various states.

I have no idea what games are available in Japan because I don't read Japanese, but I know that at least there's Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side and Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo!!

In fact, I would venture that it is a lot HARDER to find a pure-yuri dating sim.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#11 Post by Aleema »

wrathie wrote:And a Dating Sim for girls would be highly unfeasible, it's more likely to be based on a Yuri relationship than one of a straight relationship.
Meeeh, what? Have you even looked at the WIP forum lately? There's like five girl dating sims on the first page alone. =P
Not to mention that Japanese production companies like Otomate are making a killing professionally. Dating sims are as perfect for girls as boys, if not more so. ^^
And visa versa! (BxB) ^__^

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Oh, so that's what BxB means. :P
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

deerchan
Regular

#13 Post by deerchan »

I have an idea for that, but crossdressing girls... The main is a girl who's integrated into an all-boys school for some reason. As she gets to know people she accidentally comes upon a secret club of boys- who are actually girls. They were forced to go by their parents but made to dress like boys so no one would expect it. Along with the girl choices theres a couple of boys, too.
Buuut I probably won't get to that in a long while ^^;

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#14 Post by Freelancer »

deerchan wrote:I have an idea for that, but crossdressing girls... The main is a girl who's integrated into an all-boys school for some reason. As she gets to know people she accidentally comes upon a secret club of boys- who are actually girls. They were forced to go by their parents but made to dress like boys so no one would expect it. Along with the girl choices theres a couple of boys, too.
Buuut I probably won't get to that in a long while ^^;
That actually sounds really interesting, and it contains one of my favorite stories! Girl meeting girl.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Good luck on that one, faun.