A review of "Historia Chapter 1"

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
jkiln

A review of "Historia Chapter 1"

#1 Post by jkiln »

Review of Historia Chapter 1
By J. Kiln

Disclosure: I have had a few conversations with Cpl_Crud before, so in that regard, I am acquainted with Cpl_Crud. However, I am not involved at all with the game "Historia", nor with its creators, Lucid A96 (aside from the mentioned acquaintance with Cpl_Crud).

-----

"Historia Chapter 1" is a horror Kinetic Novel, by Lucid A96.

Released in January, 2020, "Historia Chapter 1" has so far not attracted a huge fan-base around it, like "Doki Doki Literature Club" or "Katawa Shoujo" before it, despite Cpl_Crud being the lead writer and developer for Historia (Cpl_Crud was also a lead developer and writer on Katawa Shoujo). But perhaps Historia deserves a bit more attention, if not for the well-written story, then certainly for the amazing music, art, and direction.

"Historia" is a Kinetic Novel (a visual novel without any choices for the user to make), and it's certainly not for anyone under the age of 18 -- "Historia Chapter 1" has a few instances of foul language, some violence and horror, and plenty of mature themes. There aren't any depictions of nudity or sex scenes, though. This isn't your older brother's Katawa Shoujo.

"Historia Chapter 1" is an excellent example of a short, but well-produced KN. The game has a lot of amazing artwork for its backgrounds, sprites, and some special effects. The music is wonderful as well, and quite varied, ranging from relaxing and beautiful, to creepy and menacing, to haunting and depressing; even short, suspenseful, or melancholic scenes have their own unique tracks. The directing is also immersive, with all kinds of sound effects and graphical flourishes to draw the audience into the story. And the story itself explores some dark and unsettling themes, based primarily on existential fears and horrors, constantly challenging the protagonist to reconsider what is normal, what is reality, and how far his sense of right and wrong can be bent.

This isn't an anime slice-of-life romance Visual Novel. This is a Lovecraftian existential horror, mixed with some anime slice-of-life, and a bit of romance, Visual Novel.

The story begins somewhat abruptly, in medias res, like how a dream might start. You never really remember how a dream begins, you're just... thrown into a situation, some familiar event or place. Have you seen the movie "Inception"? It too explores the nature of dreams. There is no real beginning, but the writing might evoke enough memories from your last year in school, the pressure from your parents to pass your exams, the uncertainty of what future path you're going to take; your looming first steps into the real world... Doug's feelings are in turmoil when you meet him, and his emotions only get more turbulent as you follow him deeper into his Dreamtime of an experience.

Oh yes, there is a Rainbow Serpent on the loose: a monstrous version of the Aboriginal stories, and it is lurking about the town, looking for fresh victims. Doug's encounter with the serpentine beast sends him spiralling deeper and deeper into a murky world of fear and confusion, and he has to try to live a normal school life in a distorted reality. He has enough pressure as it is already, to graduate and get into a good university, but, the mythical beast is undeniably a grave threat, even if confronting it only twists Doug's life further and further.

The writing is detailed as it describes Doug's thoughts and emotions, how he reasons his actions and navigates his crucial last year in school, and hides his darker feelings in the distorted history. The directing is effective and atmospheric, taking advantage of a flood of art and music to sweep the audience away, as well as a steady stream of smaller visual and audio effects to draw up emotions from a well of confusion that the story might leave the reader in.

"Can love bloom on the battlefield?" asks a lovestruck and confused character in "Metal Gear Solid". The Japanese anime slice-of-life romance aspects of "Historia" does seem to suggest it can, what with the romantic theme music and night scene that takes place immediately after a deadly fight against the watery beast. Doug's sister doesn't see a healthy relationship though, and is instead deeply concerned about Doug and his increasingly erratic behaviour. The slice-of-life drama, with its down-to-earth and relatable themes, leads Doug and the reader back into a more sensible, if mundane life. Even if Doug may not have the happiest home life, he does have an anchor that he can count on in even the worst of tides; learning to fully trust and treasure someone so dear to him might even pull Doug out of the whirlpool he's caught in.

One can interpret the movie "The Adjustment Bureau" as a grand love story, with the antagonists being metaphors for shady figures and political complications from the main character's business, conspiring to keep the lovers apart (while wearing cool fedoras). If you read deep enough into Doug's struggles, you could similarly find an alternate interpretation as well: Is the Rainbow Serpent real? Was Doug hallucinating? Is he going down a dangerous path? Drugs are mentioned as being plentiful and a serious problem in the town, so much so that Doug's Mum has to work long shifts as a nurse due to the junkies. Can "Historia Chapter 1" also be interpreted as Doug hunting down junkies or drug dealers? Is it an outlet for his pent-up rage? Is Doug on a misguided quest to avenge his best friend who was destroyed by drugs? The deft writing of "Historia" seems to leave such a dark and tragic interpretation possible.

What's certain though, is that "Historia" explores what a living, lucid nightmare might feel like; the dread of not knowing what is real and solid, versus what is merely a figment of one's imagination: The terrible loneliness of an unspeakable grief, the unreal pain of loss, the horror of being alone, of forgetting someone you love, or being forgotten yourself. -- Did you exist if you aren't remembered?

If you find such existential themes interesting, and you're in the mood for a horror story (it is October after all), then by all means, give "Historia Chapter 1" a try. It's available on itch.io, and you set the price.

https://lucida96.wordpress.com/2020/01/ ... -released/

I think the production values alone will blow you out of the water.
Hello there! Come check out my self-published ebook: It's a modern fantasy set in the 90s, with lots of action and mystery! Plus, it has a short text game as its prequel!

https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60294

They're all free, but if you like, you can support me by buying my ebook, at any price that you think is right!

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/724533

Thank you!

Mattyd
Regular
Projects: http://omoneko.com/
Deviantart: macdaddymatty

Re: A review of "Historia Chapter 1"

#2 Post by Mattyd »

jkiln,
This is a very well thought out and written review!

I agree that there is not the attention that KS garnered, but then again..
KS was much more a Feelz Good VN, where Historia is much more in keeping with CplCrud's love of scifi and dystopia
(and the dark early bad ends for Hanako, that thankfully did not make it into KS).

Here's a bump to this thread,

and thought you might like to see my own review of Historia

Full disclosure, I'm a fan opf CplCruds and playtested Historia.
Very glad that I enjoyed Historia A LOT, or it could have gotten awkward...

Everyone reading this,
Historia is FREE (well, name your price, even if your price is $0), so do yourself a favor and play it.
Then post your thoughts - and maybe your own reviews.
8)

jkiln

#3 Post by jkiln »

Thank you, Mattyd!

I suppose you're right about Historia being more of an example of Cpl_Crud's personal tastes. Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in similar Sci-fi stories, you could check out another recent Visual Novel, "Infinite Stars"?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59986&p=535280#p535280

I found it quite intriguing, and I think the series has a lot of potential!

Thanks for the thread-bump, Mattyd! Your video review of Historia is pretty deep! I think I might have to watch it a few more times before I fully understand it all!

But before I delve deeper into your interpretation, I thought I'd just go ahead and post mine, as we might as well discuss the game in this thread. Hopefully, I made sense with how I understood the story?

Thanks!

///////////////

An analysis of "Historia Chapter 1"
by J. Kiln

Disclosure: I have had a few conversations with Cpl_Crud before, so in that regard, I am acquainted with Cpl_Crud. However, I am not involved at all with the game "Historia", nor with its creators, Lucid A96 (aside from the mentioned acquaintance with Cpl_Crud).

Note: This analysis contains major spoilers for Historia Chapter 1.

BE WARNED: THE FOLLOWING ARE SPOILERS!
---------------

Lines from the game, which I believe are important:
----------

In the opening scene / prologue:
-----

"His dad was some kind of mining consultant. I guess that explained it." [Doug, thinking about Max.]

"Max: ...and Natalia. Don’t worry, I’ll look after her for you..."

"Doug: You touch my sister and I’ll kill you myself..."

"I know Max would never really try and make a move on Natalia. He’s only doing it to get at me." [Doug, thinking.]

In the scene "Waking Up":
-----

"The mass of vomit seems to crawl along the concrete like some kind of animal, seeking shelter in a nearby drain." [Doug, vomiting after seeing Max's house, after Max's erasure. -- Does Doug have a part of the Rainbow Serpent within him? Did he inadvertently swallow some liquid essence from his close encounter with it? There are a lot unexplained supernatural examples that suggest Doug is no longer merely human.]

In the scene "Maex's House":
-----

"The car in the driveway is an old but well maintained Toyota. I could have sworn his dad had a BMW." [Doug, thinking about Max's house, after Max's erasure.]

"The door opens and I can see an old Asian woman in front of me." [Doug, meeting the current resident of "Max's house".]

In the scene "Lunchtime Dreamtime":
-----

"Weeum: Dirawong chased the Serpent, but that snake bit the Dirawong on his head." [Note: In the main menu, the graphic of Michelle being bitten on the head by the Rainbow Serpent is perhaps meant to symbolise that Michelle is a modern Dirawong.]

"Weeum: That's how that river down there be made."

"Weeum: When Dirawong got all better, Rainbow Snake had done hidden himself."

"Weeum: Him be a goanna, mate. Big lizard." [Weeum, explaining to Doug about Dirawong. -- Note: At least three times (that I can spot), Doug calls the Rainbow Serpent a "lizard", perhaps suggesting that, if he does indeed have a part of the Rainbow Serpent within him, Doug is assimilating the Serpent's hatred of the Dirawong (if the Rainbow Serpent is even capable of hatred, and does hate the Dirawong).]

"Weeum: Only Dirawong can kill that fella."

"Weeum: And Dirawong not been in these parts for long time. Maybe he don't care for us people no more."

"Weeum: Maybe he wants us all gone, so he lettin' that fella tear up the place."

"Weeum: Ain't no white fella gunna kill a Serpent!"

"Weeum: I ain't got no idea what that fella doing back now, but he don't want you white fellas in that place." [Note: the Rainbow Serpent replaced Max and his parents (who were white) with an Asian family, or at least, a single old Asian lady, who may be environmentally-friendly if her old but well-maintained car is any indication.]

In the scene "Sibling Rivalry":
-----

"Natalia: Did you leave with Michelle? Michelle Symon. From my class?" [Natalia, confronting Doug about his truancy, on the third day.]

"Doug: W-why would you think that?"

"Natalia: She was in class up until lunch, but then the two of you were nowhere to be seen."

"Natalia: Same with yesterday. She disappeared after you left." [Note: "Yesterday" being the second day, when Doug suddenly remembered Max and the Rainbow Serpent from the first night, and then ran away from school.]

In the scene "Futile Vigilante":
-----

"I nurse the car along the empty streets towards a small hill overlooking the houses lined up along the river."

"When I was young there was a big flood every other year, but then the government strengthened the dam upstream."

"Since then there haven't been any major floods. They had to release some water from time to time, but it seemed to be under control."

"As the danger subsided, people started building closer and closer to the river."

"New developments popped up to support the town's growing population. Rows and rows of identical kit homes."

"Michelle: He hit on your sister, didn't he!"

In the "History" log: "Max: Dude, she's lying." [An "Invisible Ghost Max" says, trying to warn Doug about Michelle's deception, but is unheard.]

In the "History" log: "Max: She's making this up!" [The "Invisible Ghost Max" says, still unheard.]

In the scene "Flawless Explanation":
-----

"And now I'm fighting some phantom lizard with a psychopath." [Doug, thinking about his circumstances; meaning "the Rainbow Serpent" and "Michelle", with "phantom lizard" and "psychopath", respectively.]

"And suddenly, I can see someone above me." [Doug, thinking, as he drifts off to sleep.]

"A washed out memory resurfaces as I drift off into sleep."

"[A] Young girl checking my forehead, asking if I'm fine."

"Her voice seems familiar."

"I try to see her face in the darkness of my room and, finally, I notice the faint outline of Nat's cheeks, her mouth twisted with worry."

"She sits by my bed as I fall asleep, watching over me..."

[Note: I believe the above lines show Doug vaguely remembering the first night, after his first encounter with the Rainbow Serpent: Presumably, Natalia had gone to fetch Doug from Max's house, then brought him home and watched over him as he slept. Michelle might even have helped Natalia bring Doug home that night.]

In the scene "Breaking News":
-----

"But because of that lizard and the maniac, I'm going to rot in jail." [Doug, thinking about his circumstances; meaning "the Rainbow Serpent" and "Michelle", with "lizard" and "maniac", respectively.]

In the scene "A Monster to Kill":
-----

In the "History" log: "MeaXae: That's right - it's only a dream."

In the "History" log: "MeaXae: A bitter dream that will fade with time..."

In the "History" log: "Doug: I know... I know... but it shouldn't be like this."

In the "History" log: "MeaXae: That's because it's not. You're just waking up."

In the "History" log: "MeaXae: Once you're awake, we will fade away. We were never here."

In the "History" log: "mUaxDOG: Just... everything the way it was."

[Note: In the above lines, the corrupted names "MeaXae" and "mUaxDOG" are actually randomly-generated, so they'll be different each time. -- Has anyone come across a "MAXupDOG"? I mean... what is "updog"?]

"Max: This is as real as it gets, my friend." ["Visible Ghost Max" says to Doug.]

"Doug: I know... I know... but it shouldn't be like this."

"Max: Then what should it be like?" ["Visible Ghost Max" says to Doug.]

"Doug: I don't know. You. Natalia... You should both be here."

"Doug: Just... everything the way it was."

"Doug: Maybe you flirting with her or something." [Note: Doug's memories of Max have been nearly-erased or heavily-distorted by the Rainbow Serpent, and it seems that Doug completely believes Michelle's deception about Max flirting with Natalia.]

"Max leans back on my desk chair, his hands clasped around the back of his head." ["Visible Ghost Max" doesn't point out Michelle's deception, unlike "Invisible Ghost Max", who did.]

"That lizard took Max from me, and probably Natalia as well." [Doug, thinking; meaning "the Rainbow Serpent" with "lizard"]

In the "History" log: "That lizard took Nat from me, and probably Michelle as well." [Doug, thinking; meaning "the Rainbow Serpent" with "lizard". -- Note: If Doug has a part of the Rainbow Serpent within him, it may be constantly trying to eradicate Max from Doug's memories, hence the distorted "History" log, and as demonstrated in this line when compared against the "real" version above.]

"I don't feel like drinking. But a certain rage begins to boil in my belly." [Doug, thinking about revenge. -- Is the "certain rage in his belly" actually some malicious, liquid part of the Rainbow Serpent that Doug had inadvertently swallowed?]

In the scene "Et tu, Brute?"
-----

"The Serpent reacts instantly, curling itself around Michelle's slender body, trapping her in a coil of pulsating phantom energy."

"Its head cranes up and over her, swaying gently as it positions itself for the strike."

"Michelle: F*ck you! F*ck you all! When I get out of this I'm going to raze this city to the ground!"

"I notice a change in the pitch of the Serpent's gurgling, and it draws down until it is eye to eye with Michelle."

"Its red eyes meet with Michelle's furiously bloodshot eyes, and for a moment it's like they are communicating."

"Michelle's fury reaches a peak, and she manages to free an arm from the serpent's body, slapping forward and connecting with one of its eyes."

"The snake recoils and launches itself into the ceiling, releasing Michelle from its grasp."

[Note: I believe the above lines indicate that the Rainbow Serpent was going to eat and erase Michelle, but after Michelle declared her psychopathic hatred towards the entire town, the Rainbow Serpent decided instead to influence Michelle to destroy the dam, unleashing the devastating flood and restoring the river "the way it was", thus fulfilling the Dreamtime story that Weeum was telling.]

My speculations and interpretations:
-----

Based on the above lines from the game, I think the Rainbow Serpent is just trying to restore everything to "the way it was". I believe it eats and erases certain people: the ones it deems as most responsible for environmental damage or the removal of its river, and then replaces them with more environmentally-friendly people, like the old Asian lady, perhaps?

One might even interpret the Rainbow Serpent as being furious about the town's serious problems? Like the plentiful drugs? (Doug's Mum has to work long shifts as a nurse due to the junkies) Or perhaps the implied socioeconomic disparity and prejudice against Aboriginal people? If that's the case, perhaps that is also why the Dirawong isn't manifesting to stop the Rainbow Serpent?

Perhaps Doug had swallowed some liquid part of the Rainbow Serpent, which would allow him to become aware of reality being overwritten? Is the influence of the Rainbow Serpent actively distorting the "History" log, in an attempt to overwrite Doug's memories of Max? And perhaps also malevolently attempting to distort or destroy Doug's mind?

I think the "Invisible Ghost Max" that tries (vainly) to speak to Doug or Natalia or Michelle (as seen in the "History" log), is the real Max's spirit, but over time, his being is slowly "digested" or "destroyed" by the Rainbow Serpent's powers. And then, after Natalia's tragic death, Doug "recreates" a new "Visible Ghost Max" out of grief, while in the "History" log, the Rainbow Serpent's malevolent influence and corruptions are what's left.

I think the new "Visible Ghost Max" is mostly just a figment of Doug's imagination (possibly indicating Doug's growing insanity, due to supernatural influences or otherwise), which would explain why "Visible Ghost Max" doesn't point out that he would never flirt with Natalia, while the "Invisible Ghost Max" does.

As for the young girl that watched over Doug as he slept, during the first night after his first encounter with the Rainbow Serpent, I believe that's Natalia, who went to fetch Doug from Max's house. And I also think that during that same night, Michelle actually did happen upon Doug while "patrolling" the neighbourhood, and then on the second day, disappeared from school after lunch to follow Doug, leading up to their meeting later on the second night, during and after the second Rainbow Serpent encounter.

Overall, I think the vagueness and confusion was all deliberate, and intended to amplify the sense of isolation and the existential horror of the story: I think the developers wanted the reader to feel just as lost and terrified as Doug throughout the whole experience.

Perhaps it is a sign of remarkable design and writing then, that it's still possible to draw a coherent and logical interpretation as above? Despite the overwhelming confusion that was intended?

If anyone comes across any inconsistencies in my speculations, or has a different interpretation of "Historia Chapter 1", you're more than welcome to give your input and feedback!

Thank you for reading! And please do tell your friends about "Historia", or support the developers if you can!
Hello there! Come check out my self-published ebook: It's a modern fantasy set in the 90s, with lots of action and mystery! Plus, it has a short text game as its prequel!

They're all free, but if you like, you can support me by buying my ebook, at any price that you think is right!

Thank you!

jkiln

#4 Post by jkiln »

Mattyd wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:27 am jkiln,
This is a very well thought out and written review!

I agree that there is not the attention that KS garnered, but then again..
KS was much more a Feelz Good VN, where Historia is much more in keeping with CplCrud's love of scifi and dystopia
(and the dark early bad ends for Hanako, that thankfully did not make it into KS).

Here's a bump to this thread,

and thought you might like to see my own review of Historia

Full disclosure, I'm a fan opf CplCruds and playtested Historia.
Very glad that I enjoyed Historia A LOT, or it could have gotten awkward...

Everyone reading this,
Historia is FREE (well, name your price, even if your price is $0), so do yourself a favor and play it.
Then post your thoughts - and maybe your own reviews.
8)
Oops, I see that this thread has been moved from "General Discussion" to "Other Story-based Games".

Sorry, moderators, that I posted it in the wrong forum in the first place.

In any case, I've finally gone through "Historia Chapter 1" again, and Mattyd's video review.

And while I don't agree with Mattyd that
the distorted "History" log of the game is a possible alternate reality, or a record of the "actual reality",
I do see why Mattyd would think so, as the game doesn't give any straightforward answers about what is actually happening.

I suppose we have to wait until the whole story is finished before we can draw any real conclusions.

But if I'm allowed posit a possible explanation or two, against Mattyd's assumption that
the "History" log is a record of an "alternate reality",
well...

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING DISCUSSION INVOLVES SPOILERS.
---------------

Mattyd points out a crucial point at the beginning of the game: the "History" log is already distorted, before the first encounter with the Rainbow Serpent.

I would argue that it's merely an example of the Rainbow Serpent "breaking the fourth wall", similar to how in the Scene Select menu, there is no option to go to the scenes that take place during the first night; the list of selectable scenes begin with the second morning, after the first encounter with the Rainbow Serpent, as if the Rainbow Serpent itself has "eaten" and erased the scenes wherein it first appears, similar to how certain lines in the "History" log are erased.

Thus, I believe that there are no "alternate realities", but that it's merely the Rainbow Serpent retroactively distorting the "History" log in its "meta-narrative" fashion. -- Of course, there is also the more mundane reason that it was too much work to have to wipe the History log after the first encounter and replace it with the distorted version, and the programmer simply didn't want to do it.

As for another point that Mattyd brings up: the ripple effects that erasing a single person from history could have, causing entire webs of causalities to unravel, which Mattyd illustrates with the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", and a "Back To The Future" reference:

I believe the game itself has already addressed that issue? With Max and his parents' erasure being "filled in" with an old Asian lady? Who has lived in Max's house for a long time?

A line from the game, in the scene "Maex's House":
----------
"Lady: Well, now I know that you are wrong. This has been my home since it was built 13 years ago."

And these lines from the game, in the scene "Reality Hits":
----------
"I pull out my phone and try to find photos of him, but it's no good."

"Just as Michelle said, he's been erased from history."

"I know that I took photos of us last week, but now some stranger looks back at me from the screen."

"A new timeline. New friends."

I believe that the Rainbow Serpent is capable of rewriting reality to accommodate for every interaction that an erased person has had with the world; the past is simply "rearranged" to fit with the new reality.

As for the rest of Mattyd's video review, I found it to be a fascinating interpretation of the game, which could be the correct interpretation, despite my own arguments against there being alternate realities simultaneously unfolding.

But I still cling to my own "theories", that "Visible Ghost Max" doesn't point out Michelle's deception (specifically: about Max flirting with Natalia), because "Visible Ghost Max" is mostly a figment of Doug's imagination created out of grief, and that "Invisible Ghost Max" (the real Max's spirit; in the "History" log) was "digested" in the "belly" of the Rainbow Serpent; and that the creation of "Visible Ghost Max" by Doug is a sign of Doug's growing insanity, perhaps due to the Rainbow Serpent's influence, as Doug himself speculates in the scene "Flawless Explanation":

"Doubt begins to creep into my mind. What if her contact with the Serpent has turned her into a psychopath?" [Doug, thinking about Michelle]

"Or is that the fate of everyone that stares into the infinity within that beast?"

Perhaps it's like "The Edge Of Tomorrow"? Wherein the main characters are "connected" to some supernatural enemy after being exposed to some liquid part of it? Perhaps Doug and Michelle are both "bitten on the head" by the Rainbow Serpent, slowly driven mad by its influence, and thus, at least symbolically, modern Dirawongs?

Regardless of what the truth may be, it's likely we'll have to wait until "Historia Chapter 2" is released, before either my interpretation, or Mattyd's, can be further scrutinised and argued for or against.

Or, perhaps, something completely unexpected might happen: maybe... Natalia becomes possessed by the Liquid Snake, and starts speaking in Cam Clarke's voice, and calls Doug, "BROTHERRR!!" all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI7cNhTIOEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28imvKgOdk

Thank you!

Mattyd
Regular
Projects: http://omoneko.com/
Deviantart: macdaddymatty

#5 Post by Mattyd »

Perhaps Doug and Michelle are both "bitten on the head" by the Rainbow Serpent, slowly driven mad by its influence, and thus, at least symbolically, modern Dirawongs?
VERY nice line!!
:)