WTF, Namco

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Re: WTF, Namco

#16 Post by ludeshka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 am

The real Tales of Destiny 2 would make me so happy. (I was a huge Leon fan and I would throw a party if I were able to play Judas' storyline. :D)

And there's this Tales where you play as chibi Klarth! <3

Lanna
Regular

#17 Post by Lanna » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I <3 Tales of Destiny 2. I wish there was an official English translation though... reading translation guides while playing is just no fun at all. And as much as I usually dislike RPG plots, I always find them somehow bearable in the Tales series. Mostly because of the characters though. Judaaas, Harooold~

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#18 Post by Vatina » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:48 am

Well, there is a project under way for Destiny 2: http://www.tales-cless.org/?page=tod2
Unfortunately it isn't done yet.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by lepapillonrouge » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:08 am

JT, this is the best topic you've ever made. (And you've made a lot!)

I...really doubt any of the older games will come (sorry all of you -bows-), but those American people in Irvine got to bring Tales of Graces over here, darn it. I mean, I can finally play another Tales game because I actually have the console for it this time >D! I mean, look at all the memes you could --- I mean the gameplay! The battle system! A really nice main character people like! A plot relevant and not really annoying loli! (XD;) Plot twists that aren't too bad! A male tsundere! A girl whose drill will pierce the heavens!

C'mon guys, how many times in your life will you see a male tsundere? XD; Just kidding, but Hubert is important because he wears glasses. XD As you can tell, I was more into Graces because of the characters. Though the battle system seems fun.

I don't know...I just really like Tales. So I'm biased like that.

Edit: ...I just remembered about my avatar. Well, yeah, I like that pairing. XD;
deviantART
---------------------

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#20 Post by JinzouTamashii » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 am

That one guy from Tales of Abyss, the protagonist, was tsundere for Tear... and a spoiled brat in general until plot twist #15.

I forget his name... Um, Luke?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 am

My favorite is Tales of Eternia. Fortunately they localized it as Tales of Destiny 2 (perhaps because ToD enjoy a relatively high success in West). Where else you could get a lazy protagonist? Almost all the characters are unique (except for common energetic Farrah). So I think ToE is out of this topic...

But I want to rant about the dubbing! The voice! Aggh, why did they even bother dub it at all, if they want to perform a poor job at that? Just leave it at original voice and fans would joy in tears (literally). Or they just want to be a cheapskate and don't want to pay anymore the original VA?

I don't know why, but it seems Namco only do it poorly in Tales series. While Namco never do any good job (in voice department I mean) in other games, but Tales series is the only game makes me so mad. They always change the beautiful OP song into some bad tunes. The voices themselves are bad (where's Farrah "Ikeru Ikeru", why they change it into a lame "Let's do it"). They even omit all the voices in some segment (like world map conversation in ToD or select button conversation in ToA). Making them yapping inaudible voice which is not cool at all -_-

Namco, please take Gust (and their friends) as an example, please?

Pyre Sieg
Projects: Untitled (2% progress)

#22 Post by Pyre Sieg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 pm

JinzouTamashii wrote:Are you f***ing kidding me? Tales of Symphonia was the Nintendo GameCube release back in the day. It's the whole reason why I begged and wheedled at Christmas to get one.

Man, I hope I win that DarkSiders End of Days DA contest! Free PS3 or Wii or Xbox 360 for the win!

I would totally not murder someone to play the sequel to ToS, Dawn of the New World or Knights of the Ratatosk or whatever they ended up calling it. Appease my bulging curiosity... what happens to Presea? Who did she end up with?

I mean, the multiple story paths hinted that it could either be Lloyd or Regal, depending on affection values and that hidden branch at the snowy city (I forget what it's called)... anyway, it's when
Kratos or Zelos comes to visit "you" as Lloyd and be redeemed and forgiven ;_;.
Flanoir?
But wow... Just... Wow...

:? I didn't get a chance to personally play the sequel to Symphonia, but I still spoiled myself silly on reviews and plot points alike, and I'm surprised that the sequel could be so bad. It's a shame, too, because some of the characters really seemed interesting and I wanted to see what role they played so much (like Tenebie Doggy Tenebrae, or
what role Verius played
)

I was in shock and awe at how bad the game seemed, and held even more pity over the main characters since
besides Seles
, a lot of the returning characters were either scrapped or given the short end of the stick. (I heard that the original cast have a limit to the maximum level they can be that is horrendously low compared to the newcomers, was it true?)

... :lol: Although I wondered if the writers knew this too, considering
nearly everyone besides Marta seems to betray the party or have other less-than-noble motives and switch to villain-mode as early as halfway into the game. And even Marta could potentially be betrayed by Emil if the player chose it, yes? If so it feels like nobody likes Emil...

PinkMagus

#23 Post by PinkMagus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 am

Well there have been unofficial translation patches made for some of the Shin Megami Tensei games that were made on the PS1. I'm sure if there was enough demand one could bring together a team to make a translation patch for some of those older games.

Also, you could always learn Japanese. Hardest part is just setting the time aside to grind away at studies so I hear.

Deviot
Regular
Projects: Testing out completed Visual Novels?

#24 Post by Deviot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 am

I think it's a big conspiracy to tempt more and more of us into trying to learn japanese
How many of you can go to sleep knowing you'll surely wake up tomorrow, take life for granted and picture yourself in the future? I....can't -Kirimiya Mizuki-

Those who are strong leaves a trail of blood and tears in their wake, sometimes their own, walking over bodies of friends and foes

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#25 Post by Fluffycrow » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Can I say something and try not to get shot here? Okay, here goes:

I don't really like the Tales games. I never understood how they have such a big fanbase. I bought Tales of Symphonia on a recommendation from a friend, and I expected it to be super-epic-awesome like he said it was... but it just wasn't. I have to admit, the battle system was nice, but... it wasn't anything that hadn't been done before. And the story... okay, so I didn't even get to the second disc, but... Why should I care about these brats? Lloyd was just a stereotypical "I'm brave and naive and get into all sorts of trouble" protagonist, Colette was a total mary sue, and Genis... well, I suppose he was all right. But not enough to make up for the other characters.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#26 Post by LVUER » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Perhaps because of the fighting/battle system?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by lepapillonrouge » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

^ That.

Plus, Leon. Leon, Leon, Leon. :D
Though more girl bait has come in the form of Yuri Lowell and Spin--, I mean Asbel Lhant.

And Richard. TOMODACHI! Well, Richard is more for laughs. XD
deviantART
---------------------

\Nish/
Regular

#28 Post by \Nish/ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I'd like to play Tales of Innocence, but I don't think they're going to bring it overseas.
Fluffycrow wrote: I don't really like the Tales games. I never understood how they have such a big fanbase. I bought Tales of Symphonia on a recommendation from a friend, and I expected it to be super-epic-awesome like he said it was... but it just wasn't. I have to admit, the battle system was nice, but... it wasn't anything that hadn't been done before. And the story... okay, so I didn't even get to the second disc, but... Why should I care about these brats? Lloyd was just a stereotypical "I'm brave and naive and get into all sorts of trouble" protagonist, Colette was a total mary sue, and Genis... well, I suppose he was all right. But not enough to make up for the other characters.
For me ToS wasn't really about the story, it was more about the characters. You do have to tolerate the story first in order to find out more about the characters though.
And, all Tales games are different, you shouldn't judge the whole series on ToS alone. (What I mean is to give other Tales games a chance :wink: )

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#29 Post by Fluffycrow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:03 pm

@Nish:

I suppose you're right; I should give the series another try.

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#30 Post by pkt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Tales is like the Final Fantasy of Action RPG's.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...