Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Plus DS - fan translation

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Plus DS - fan translation

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

[I posted this message on the Megatokyo and Shira Oka forums a few minutes ago...]

There is a very recent translation project for the DS version of the first TMGS game, "Plus" edition. It appears to be making quite a bit of progress. Here is a relevant link: http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/home

I'm aware that various groups have attempted, and failed, to create translations of Tokimeki Memorial for Super Famicom. Time will tell if the group follows through on its promise. As of this writing, there is talk of a test patch in just a few days.

Unfortunately, by choosing to translate the DS edition, that means there won't be any way to play a legit copy of TMGS. So if it makes progress, fans would be wise to import an authentic cartridge.

You can find English FAQs of this game if you search GameFAQs.

I wonder if I should mention this on Konami's official forum...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Plus DS - fan translation

#2 Post by LVUER »

No, it would be better if Konami doesn't know about this...

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#3 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Might as well e-mail them, they're going to hear it through the blogosphere anyway, since it's so much more awesome than paper media... :oops:
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

xenokitten

#4 Post by xenokitten »

This has just absolutely made my day :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

I noticed this translation project over a month ago. As of this writing, progress is estimated at 33% -- which seems pretty impressive -- and the second "Test Patch Release" has been sent (in private, I assume) to the people who have volunteered to beta-test the work thus far.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Thus far, the translation patches for TMGS1 DS have been available only to beta testers. But there was a very recent update on the translator's site which says, "I plan to release the next patch as a public patch since we already got some decent amount of translations. Just wait a bit. I think the next patch should be ready some time in July." (Progress is estimated to be 74%.)

That said, if a partial translation patch is released in July 2010, I will do my best to track down a genuine copy of this game.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#7 Post by sayuri »

LVUER wrote:No, it would be better if Konami doesn't know about this...
That's what they get for not translating more games :lol:. Yes, let's keep everything hush-hush.

jadacamilla
Regular

#8 Post by jadacamilla »

I've heard of this like two years ago..... XD

And btw, TMGS 3 was just released(meaning, if ever it would be translated, it would probably be on 2014.lol)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

A partial patch has been released. It's clearly stated on the project home page (again, http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/home ) that there may be typos and bugs, but the TMGS 1 DS translation project is about 83% complete now.

Jadacamilla mentioned TMGS 3. On another forum (I won't say which one...), you can find individuals who are discussing the possibility of translating Girl's Side 2 and 3, as well as any number of other DS games.

EDIT: As the translator says, the date events are mostly untranslated, but a considerable part of the game is now playable. I've given this game a try, and found it entertaining. Good chara designs, funny animations, and a decent interface. (The computer in the heroine's room which looks like a late 90s style iMac places the game in the year the original PS2 game was made -- 2002.) My only real complaints thus far are as follows:
The in-game material doesn't tell the player much. It's a bit like the time I played KOTOR... When I realized that my main character could do just about anything in the first town, I kind of lost interest. I'm enjoying TMGS1 more, but a few hints about how to get phone numbers, or who appreciates what, would've been nice. At least there's FAQs in English.

At times, it seems the heroine can only work on one activity (such as art or fashion) during her spare time in a five day week.

I tried a running mini-game (okay), and a "stop the arrows on the right guy" mini-game (which I didn't understand at all). I guess that I'm not a fan of mini-games.

It's difficult to tell what the heroine is actually doing during the skinship events.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Riviera »

On the minigames:
The one where you pick from a bunch of guys, it's almost like a scavenge hunt, with you trying to find which guy would have the item. There are obvious fake guys (like some of them with gag glasses or patches or wild colored hair).
On the Skinship:
It depends on what motion you make with the stylus. A quick sweep is a light touch, poking various areas are you looking at those spots, or can be a kiss if it's on the mouth.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

I hope there Konami will released another 2D "normal" Tokimemo... and skinship minigame in it, hehehe...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Lyyli
Regular

#12 Post by Lyyli »

I already knew about this and I'm so happy! <3

I used to play Girl's Side 1 and 2 to death on my PS2!
Meep.

feyz

#13 Post by feyz »

I've tried their English patch and they're awesome! Finally I can understand a thing! I can't wait the full version. And I hope they'll translate the TMGS 2 also. Is it too much to ask? Tee-hee..

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by gekiganwing »

feyz wrote:...And I hope they'll translate the TMGS 2 also. Is it too much to ask? Tee-hee..
There's a TMGS 2 translation project already. It was announced within the last month or so. Only a modest amount of progress has been made thus far, and the translator hasn't created a site for it yet.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by gekiganwing »

A full translation patch has been released. There may still be some spelling/grammar errors, and bugs, but the project has just about wrapped up after only nine months.

I enjoyed playing the partially translated version of TMGS1. I even played it in public during my trip to Seattle, and during dull moments at Penny Arcade Expo. (Incidentally, there were zero VNs or romance games at PAX.) After trying to get a good Morimura ending and failing, I started over, and got a good Hibiya ending. I've learned how to avoid rival mode, and appease rivals if necessary. And I think I'm pretty good at the "bread-grabbing" festival minigame, though I haven't given the other minigames much time.

Just one additional complaint... Maybe it was a translation or PS2-to-DS port bug, but during Hibiya's ending, the lip sync was really bad.