Tokimeki Memorial 4 letter campaign

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Nargrakhan

Tokimeki Memorial 4 letter campaign

#1 Post by Nargrakhan »

Heading up a letter campaign towards Konami, to localize Tokimeki Memorial 4 into English:

http://www.tokimekimemorial4.com

Fifteen years is a looooong time to be without a TokiMemo release, and Konami is of the opinion there is zero interest in dating simulations outside of Japan. Send a letter to let them know they're wrong. If we sit and do nothing, then it's absolutely guaranteed that Konami will not do anything about the situation... but if the pot is stirred enough, then we give ourselves a chance.

TokiMemo has seen a product line resurrection in Japan - Girl's Side 3rd Story is out next in 2010 for DS - so this is the best time to get their attention. :o

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Tokimeki Memorial 4 letter campaign

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I noticed your site a little while ago, Narg, thanks to Novelnews.net (aka Encubed). I've been thinking about it every now and then, and trying to decide what I think.

Your "About" page includes the statement, "...because maturation of anime and video games has evolved in leaps and bounds, many obstacles [to a potential translation of a Tokimemo game] have become archaic..." That is a somewhat vague statement. I've been a video game fanboy since 1989, and I've seen a lot of things change.

But these days, there are more bishoujo-esque games getting official English releases on consoles. Ten years ago, there was Thousand Arms, a few Harvest Moon games... and everything else was PC exclusive. Now in 2010, we have Riviera, two Ar Tonelico games and Persona 3-4. The next few months will bring translations of Mimana, Agarest War, and Sakura Taisen 5. ...And obviously, people on this forum are creating their own renai games.

And now for some negative stuff. Your example letter includes the statement, "The markets of North America would warmly welcome Tokimeki Memorial 4 with open arms..." I know it's only an example letter, but I'm not sure if that statement is true. Here's some problems:

Potential problem #1: Niche games, such as the Pangya on PSP, don't tend to succeed on UMD. There's been some unique games on PSP in English, but the games which get 'greatest hits' status tend to be mainstream action titles.

Potential problem #2: Would TM4 succeed if it were exclusive to the Playstation Store? Maybe -- that's probably the only place where it has a chance of success. Not long ago, the niche game Holy Invasion of Privacy was released only on the Store. I don't know if it's sold well there. (There was a campaign to get 1000 pre-orders for a UMD release, but the company didn't succeed in that goal.)

Also, keep in mind that people on this forum who are selling their games are selling them as paid downloads.

Here's Wikipedia's list of PSP games that are on the Playstation Store, whether in US, Europe, or Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do ... _PSP_games

Potential problem #3: A lot of western RPGs and sandbox games include relationship elements. So aside from the audience that's been interested in dating simulations for years, a Tokimemo game might now seem like a throwback.

Nargrakhan

#3 Post by Nargrakhan »

I've actually logged three separate traffic sessions from an IP address that return back to Konami, so I have to... how can I put this... be like a politician here and there. Not to say that I'm going to lie or outright make up fabrications, but I have to be highly optimistic on the most public face being presented. Corporate business is 33% politics after all.

That being said: I'm quite vividly aware how uphill this fight will be. I also know that I'd be in total fantasy if I thought our chances were 1 in 10 of success. However, as I'm fond of saying, we've got absolutely nothing to lose in this gamble. In all things, Konami is only a business, and so is in it for the profit. I've no illusion of that. The way I see it, this campaign will result in one of three conclusions:

#1: Konami localizes or leases localization of TokiMemo4.

#2: Konami makes a statement stating it's impossible for them to localize or lease localization.

#3: Konami continues ignoring everyone.

Naturally #1 would be the most ideal situation. #2 and #3... not so ideal... However in it's own way, even a #2 would something, since it would be a conclusion.

I'll be frank with ya: no matter what story those video game magazines tell, 2008 and 2009 were horrible years for the Sony game systems (remember that "show an optimistic face" thing I mentioned before - applies to them too). Presently a lot of companies are clamping down and killing PS3/PSP projects - not starting new ones. So then it comes full circle as to why someone should bother even sending a letter, right? Because this is the moment to act. NOW is the best time to get Konami's attention about TokiMemo4, because TokiMemo is new. The US branch is actually aware it exists again. According to one Konami developer, it may very well be another 10 years before we see another TokiMemo resurgence (to capitalize on the 25th celebration). So when this opportunity passes, it will be a decade before another happens.

"You always miss 100% of the shots you never take." I've been a firm believer in that saying. I'm under no illusion to believe that sending letters to Konami, would guarantee a TokiMemo4 localization. Nonetheless, I am quite certain if no letters are sent at all, there won't be a TokiMemo4.

This campaign is basically an attempt to create our own miracle. What if it fails? Then it would result in the same scenario that not sending letters would have created. But then, we already know that. It's hard to guess what Konami's decision process is like. Konami knows Metal Gear makes money. Konami knows Castlevania makes money. Konami knows Silent Hill makes money. Having said that, Konami is always on the prowl to find out what else they can find to make money... because one day Metal Gear/Castlevania/Silent Hill will stop making money. A cow can only be milked so much. Thus they gamble and speculate.

Would they gamble and speculate on TokiMemo4? At the start of 2010, that chance was 0%. With this letter campaign, we'd be able to get that chance to 1%... maybe 2%... but those odds are a helluva lot better than they were previously. If Konami gets 1 letter? They ignore it. If Konami gets 10 letters? Might get the mail boy's attention. If Konami gets 100 letters? 1000 letters? It picks up a conversation. The idea is to give TokiMemo4 a chance at being localized. This is truly the only thing we can do. In as so far as our part goes, it takes little effort and only a stamp. I feel it's worth the gamble. It at least puts TokiMemo4 on the playing field of choices Konami could make. As the situation stands: that's the best damn deal we could hope for.

Besides... miracles do happen... and TokiMemo4 isn't a bad game. Konami could do a LOT worst. In fact, in times past, they already have. So again, what do we have to lose? Nothing at all. Even if we somehow anger the present Vice Presidents for sending them so much mail, it really isn't much to worry about. Konami goes through them in 6 year intervals. Nothing to lose at all...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Thanks for replying!
Nargrakhan wrote:...I'll be frank with ya: no matter what story those video game magazines tell, 2008 and 2009 were horrible years for the Sony game systems (remember that "show an optimistic face" thing I mentioned before - applies to them too). Presently a lot of companies are clamping down and killing PS3/PSP projects - not starting new ones.
I'll grant you that. I've paid enough attention to mainstream video game fans and news to know that the PS3 and PSP have struggled to succeed. For some publishers, it's been much less risky to publish only tried-and-true hits for those systems. For instance, I glanced over niche site RPGamer's list of "All" (as opposed to upcoming) titles released for PSP and PS3. There were quite a few ports, remakes, and multi-platform games.
Nargrakhan wrote:It's hard to guess what Konami's decision process is like. Konami knows Metal Gear makes money. Konami knows Castlevania makes money. Konami knows Silent Hill makes money. Having said that, Konami is always on the prowl to find out what else they can find to make money... because one day Metal Gear/Castlevania/Silent Hill will stop making money. A cow can only be milked so much.
That makes sense. Several video game companies have received a lot of criticism for relying on a stable of franchises which don't change much from year to year. And Konami is definitely not the only company which has neglected some of its Japanese properties. See this topic: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... portForYou and scroll down to "Video Games."

...Having said all that, I thought about your sample letter, considered my own thoughts, and began writing my own. My version ended up using just one or two of your sentences. The writing is somewhat informal, while striving to be polite. (I might soon read advice on how to write persuasive letters...) It's also a little long, so I've placed it in spoiler tags. And I included some reasons for why I said specific things in italics:
To the staff of Konami:

I appreciate efforts that Konami has made in creating games for both small and large groups of fans. Over the years, Konami has created and localized a variety of titles, ranging from mainstream to niche games.

I learned from How to Make Friends and Influence People that it's wise to begin with praise or compliments.

Unfortunately, one of Konami's major Japanese franchises has not yet received an official English localization. I refer to the Tokimeki Memorial series. Not even the Tokimeki Memorial games on internationally successful consoles, such as the first two Sony PlayStation consoles and the Nintendo DS, have been professionally translated.

AFAIK, the PS1, PS2, and the DS were internationally successful. Each one has/had a wide userbase, so combined with the *relatively* low costs of creating software, each system had some crazy experimental games released in English.

I created this letter for two reasons. The first reason is to persuade the staff of Konami that localizing the 2009 PSP game Tokimeki Memorial 4 for the Playstation Store may be profitable. The second reason is to persuade the staff of Konami that localizing one of the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games for the Nintendo DS may be profitable.

The timing for release of a Tokimeki Memorial title in English may not have been right until recently. A mere ten years ago, individuals who owned video game consoles who sought an experience similar to Tokimeki Memorial had very few options. Now in 2010, quite a few more similar games exist in English, including but not limited to a wider variety of Harvest Moon games, the two Ar Tonelico titles, Persona 3 and 4, Princess Debut, and two different versions of Riviera: The Promised Land. In the next few months, there will be an official English translation of a Sakura Wars game, as well as Record of Agarest War, and Mimana Iyer Chronicle. In other words, games in English with dating simulation influence have grown in number and popularity.

I thought about mentioning Konami's galge-influenced PS1 game Azure Dreams, which had an English version... but it seemed out of context.

Over the last few years, games such as the ones listed above have helped to inspire a community of English-speaking game designers who have ambitions of creating content similar to the Tokimeki Memorial series. These fans have independently released quality, complex dating simulations such as Summer Session, The Flower Shop, and the Cute Knight series. Members of this community continue to work on projects with Tokimeki Memorial influence, such as Shira Oka and Lucky Rabbit Reflex.

There have been a few professionally made dating simulations on video game consoles which were written originally in English. Konami created one, named Brooktown High, in 2007 for the PSP. Though I purchased it, I have read that it was not a success. It received mixed reviews. However, please be aware that other video games with western sensibilities as well as romantic relationship elements are succeeding. I refer to sandbox games and western RPGs. Several popular games from these genres have included dating simulation elements into their gameplay, and have brought relationships in video games closer to a mainstream level of acceptance.

It's probably a good idea to mention that Konami did publish Brooktown High. I paid about $40 for it at GameStop, and it's still in my collection. For better or worse, I don't recall seeing that game on shelves afterward, or in bargain bins. Not sure if anyone else bought it. Its reviews on Metacritic range from positive to negative, averaging to to 51 out of 100. ...But I'm not sure if it would be relevant to state that Bioware's games, as well as series such as Fable and GTA, have romantic sidequests.

It is possible that one reason why Konami has not yet released an English edition of a Tokimeki Memorial games is concerns over whether such a niche title can be profitable. Translating and releasing a game for the first two PlayStation consoles was an expensive risk. However, that risk has been reduced through new distribution services, as well as changes in the video game market.

It is unfortunate that quality niche titles on the PlayStation Portable have often been ignored, and have sold poorly without a pack-in incentive. However, since the Playstation Store was established, publishers have been able to reduce the costs such as packaging and physical distribution. Companies have begun to release niche PSP games, such as Holy Invasion of Privacy, exclusively on the Playstation Store.

I mentioned "pack-in incentive" because Atlus' 2009 remake of Persona 1 for PSP included a full two-disc soundtrack. But I didn't mention whether Holy Invasion was a success, because I don't know how many people bought it on Playstation Store.

Therefore, I believe this may be a chance for Konami to release an English edition of Tokimeki Memorial 4 without the risks and expenses involved with the disc-based format. If Konami is willing to publish Tokimeki Memorial 4 on the Playstation Store, then the game will have a chance to find an audience. In this specific format, the game could earn back the money spent on localization.

Here's one article which gives a specific example of how a recent niche PSP game didn't succeed in its UMD release: http://games.ign.com/articles/101/1015167p1.html Scroll down to the discussion about Pangya.

The video game market has changed over the years. Until the Nintendo DS became a successful platform, companies and fans often assumed that only young men enjoyed games. However, the DS has evolved into a console with many games in English aimed at young women and families. This includes European games, American games, and games translated from Japanese. Furthermore, the console has software which previously only existed on computers, or which rarely received an official translation.

In Japan, Konami ported the first two Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games from PlayStation2 to the DS, and recently announced a third Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side game exclusively for the DS. I do not believe these titles could have succeeded in English on the PlayStation2. However, I believe the games could succeed in English on the DS. The Girl's Side series would not contrast sharply with games that are currently on shelves. Keep in mind that the DS has plenty of nonviolent and cute games, many of which are aimed at a female audience.

I've seen some female-oriented DS games, such as Princess Debut, in bargain bins. Not every game which tries to reach this audience will succeed.

The market for PSP games on UMD is struggling, but the DS game market is still thriving. Since most DS titles do not appeal to the niche group of fans who use technology to steal and modify games, that means publishers whose games appeal to other groups of fans have a greater chance of success.

To sum all this up: if the Konami staff chooses to localize a Tokimeki Memorial title for a viable format such as the Playstation Store or the Nintendo DS, then Konami will not regret the results.

Sincerely,
[my full name],
Guaranteed purchaser of a localized Tokimeki Memorial game

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Yeah, I've hesitated to create letters. Sorry about my slow pace.

In the last week or two, I re-read How to Make Friends and Influence People, and thought about the persuasive / business letter advice in that book. Then I sat down and re-wrote my letter from scratch. Here it is:
To (name of vice president):

Your company, Konami Digital Entertainment, has made many excellent video games for every major market. Video game fans are grateful for the products that your company has offered throughout its history. Konami has created and localized a variety of titles, ranging from mainstream to niche games. Some of Konami's series, such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Contra, have achieved excellent worldwide sales. They often receive excellent reviews as well as positive name recognition.

Note that I started out with praise.

However, it is an unfortunate fact that even the strongest video game franchise will not succeed indefinitely. Few video game publishers can continue to profit by relying on the same titles and genres. For that reason, companies such as Konami are currently creating new intellectual properties in order to attract new fans, and to adjust for changing tastes. Video game companies are currently localizing previously untranslated Japanese titles for the same reasons.

I tried to sound positive, even while mentioning that cash cow franchises can't last forever.

Therefore, Konami may benefit by creating localizations for recent entries in a video game franchise which has not yet been professionally translated outside of East Asia: the Tokimeki Memorial series. Creating an English version of the 2009 Playstation Portable game Tokimeki Memorial 4, especially if available as a paid download on the Playstation Store, may be profitable. Additionally, creating an English version of one of the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games for the Nintendo DS may be profitable.

I tried to appeal to the company's need to make money.

In 2007, Konami created Brooktown High for the Playstation Portable, a game with similar themes. It did not succeed through sales, and many of its reviews were negative. However, if a Tokimeki Memorial game were released in English, then it may appeal to the audience which was unreceptive to Brooktown High.

The timing for release for the Tokimeki Memorial series in English may be right. Video game fans can now find a variety of similar games for sale in English on current consoles, the iPhone, and independent game merchant sites. There is now a market for nonviolent games featuring relationships. Furthermore, the costs such as packaging and physical distribution have been minimized through services such as the Playstation Store.

In conclusion, if your company is willing to translate one of the current Tokimeki Memorial games, then the game will have a chance to find an audience, and Konami will benefit.

The letter is just six paragraphs... much shorter than my previous attempt.

Sincerely,

(my name),
Guaranteed purchaser of a localized Tokimeki Memorial game

PinkMagus

#6 Post by PinkMagus »

If the get enough letters and or statements, then they'd have to reconsider the profitability of a translation. That'd be all they would (and should) care about. I'd think the best thing to do would be to get a professionally manage poll going to get accurate numbers as to how many people would buy, and how much they would pay.