Most Surprising Plot Twists in a VN

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

Most Surprising Plot Twists in a VN

#1 Post by Freelancer »

I hope this is in the right section. If not feel free to move it (Would I have a choice?)
Anyway, What are the 5 most surprising things you've seen in a VN? It's okay if you have more or less than 5 but try to limit the number.
Generally these are plot twists, I'm not asking for technical difficulties or miss translations.
For the benefit of others who might not have played them post them like mine.
3:Fate/stay night
Archer is Emiya Shiro
(I had figured it out before the words were actually said
[Actually at the line "Trace on!" that wasn't spoken by Shiro]
)
2:Princess Waltz
Seemingly unimportant, unrelated background character Rikko is actually Princess Liesel of Palmied
(I honestly didn't expect that one and I don't get surprised easily, but this one came out of no where)
1:Fate/stay night
Illiyasviel von Einzbern is older than Shiro and is his older sister.
(The level of surprise here was astounding. I know I was heavily invested in this story emotionally, so much as crying when I was nearing the fate end
[Specifically after they got home after the fight with Gilgamesh]
but this one, at the time and for the first month after I found this out every time I tried to comprehend this I... all my thoughts would crumble away and be replaced by static.)

So what about yours?
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

Re: Most Surprising Plot Twists in a VN

#2 Post by luminarious »

In Yume Miru Kusuri,
when the magical fairy girl turned out to be a drug abuser.

Freelancer
Regular

#3 Post by Freelancer »

Wow, I almost read that twice, even though I just got it and am planning to install it later and play it after I finish Family Project.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#4 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

luminarious wrote:Yume Miru Kusuri
Never played it, but I maybe would expect a twist of some such sort, considering the title, XD
Yume - Dream
Miru - To See
Kusuri - Medicine/Drug
Or "A Drug to See Dreams" haha

- -

As for my most surprising plot twist,
Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru, Vol One ???? Tea Party
where Battler becomes the Endless Sorcerer while still trying to disprove witches.
Also, 'Yes, Your Majesty!'
Live Life Heroically

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#5 Post by chronoluminaire »

The title is generally translated "A Drug that Makes You Dream", yes.
However, I played through one scenario of it and it wasn't about drugs at all, but rather bullying and some pretty screwed-up characters. I didn't particularly want to play either of the other two scenarios, but I understand one of them's about hallucinogenic drugs, and the other's about lots of sex.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I think the main theme of Yume Miru Kusuri is the usual "Winner Never Use Drugs" or "Use Drugs You Sucks"... no matter what the reason is...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Wintermoon »

Ever17. If you've played it, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, then drop whatever else you're doing, find yourself a copy of Ever17, and start playing.

J. Datie
Veteran

#8 Post by J. Datie »

LVUER wrote:I think the main theme of Yume Miru Kusuri is the usual "Winner Never Use Drugs" or "Use Drugs You Sucks"... no matter what the reason is...
They took an entire story to tell people that? Back in my day, all it took was 5 seconds at the start of an arcade game to drill it into our heads. Of course, the only reason I listened to it was because, to me, it was essentially Bubble Bobble telling me drugs are bad. And how could such a fun game lie to someone?

As for the most surprising plot twist, in CROSS†CHANNEL
when the protagonist reveals that the rest of humanity has disappeared. It actually took me a while to realize he was being serious, since it was really the kind of joke Taichi would have made, even if it was part of the narration. Likewise, the whole "repeating the same week over and over" also caught me by surprise. I was wondering why everyone kept forgetting thing.
That one might not count as much, since the "twist" is actually listed in most descriptions for the game. Yeah, I just played it because I liked Nanaca Crash. And on a less serious note, in Red Shift, when the protagonist reveals that
the albino girl he meets has "eyes that look red due to the underlying capillaries". It was surprising because the game was actually correct about the topic. Seriously, you have no idea how many people think albinism gives you actual red eyes. And, for some reason, magic powers. :?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

J. Datie wrote:
LVUER wrote:I think the main theme of Yume Miru Kusuri is the usual "Winner Never Use Drugs" or "Use Drugs You Sucks"... no matter what the reason is...
They took an entire story to tell people that? Back in my day, all it took was 5 seconds at the start of an arcade game to drill it into our heads. Of course, the only reason I listened to it was because, to me, it was essentially Bubble Bobble telling me drugs are bad. And how could such a fun game lie to someone?
If Yume Miru Kusuri only span for 5 seconds, would you buy it then ^_^

Of course people wouldn't listen if they only tell you, they must convince you! So they make a tear bending story (and make some money at that).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Miyoshi

#10 Post by Miyoshi »

My two of the most suprising points are from the game "Sharin no kuni":
If you have'nt played Sharin no kuni, then I recommend to not read the spoilers and play the game.
The story is great and this is one of my favorite VNs! And I played a lot of them.

1. About the second cadet:
Right at the beginning, there is a scene. The protagonist meets up with his superior, they talk, the player who knows nothing about the background tries to catch as much information as he can. And after that, a girl, another "cadet" shows up. She apologizes for being late while the protagonist thinks about she being a genius and trying to remember her name, and then suddenly in the middle of her explanation why she is late - BOOOM!!! The superior shoots her DEAD!!
2. About his conversations with "you":
The protagonist talks a LOT to himself, and sometimes he ask questions that seem to be aimed at the reader, he uses "you". It feels like he is talking to the reader and his friends always wonder who he is talking to because there is no one there.
But than in the last Chapter of the game it is revealed that he is actually talking to his sister which follows behind him. It's hard to explain. But you know what I mean if you finished the game.

PinkMagus

#11 Post by PinkMagus »

I really would have loved Princess Waltz... If
It had been more divergant and less 'Kinetic Story' with a 'choose a sex scene' option near the end.
The most suprising plot twist for me was in Tsukihime when
You find out killing Ciel and becoming a psychopathic murderer is considered a bad end.
And actually... When it comes to Yume, I found myself wanting to have a path WITH the Bully... I wanted to find out why her personality had gotten so convoluted.

Oh, and I guess another suprising plot twist was from Princess Waltz
That 'Lun Lun' was the only person who had genuine feelings for the main character, since she realized she would rather fall in love with someone she liked, rather than with the prince simply because he was the prince (Sure... You did end up being the prince, but the fact that she made her choice to pursue you before she knew that makes her affections much more legitimate). All the others were just whiney stuck up girls too self-absorbed in self-importance to really care about.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#12 Post by Coren »

In Saya no Uta, where
Fuminori, who sees everything distorted, sees a girl perfectly normal. Turns out that in reality, the girl is the one who's truly distorted.
Also, in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Minagoroshi-hen
Rika, who is probably the least main of the five, turns out to be the real main character and the only one who distinctly remembers the other worlds.
Also,
Takano Miyo being the true culprit.

NeumanProductions
Regular
Completed: Penpals
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))
Organization: Justice Brothers

#13 Post by NeumanProductions »

I admite that several of the Princess Waltz ones were interesting but not as suprising to me
after I could already tell that Chris was a girl, it was to obvious from the start.
The other suprises just weren't much.

My favorite KN has to have my most interesting surprise thus far.
True Rememberance:
Even though it was leading up to figuring out who La's true identity was, it finally clicked after the flashback scene where Blackiris is hanging out with this strange girl and it turns out to be La. And how the La key from Maria's song gives her the idea for the name and with her singing finally realizing her ability as an Omega.
But the actual large suprise for me was
that Blackiris was actually La's patient all along and that diary she kept was all her notes.
Man, I probably gave to much away on that one. Oh, well. It's your fault if you read the spoilers.
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)
You know, I sometimes still do that. :)
This Act 1 portion is what hooked me on VNs, so I like to promote them.
Anything I write I post here Deviant Art

Freelancer
Regular

#14 Post by Freelancer »

NeumanProductions wrote:I admite that several of the Princess Waltz ones were interesting but not as suprising to me
after I could already tell that Chris was a girl, it was to obvious from the start.
The other suprises just weren't much.

My favorite KN has to have my most interesting surprise thus far.
True Rememberance:
Even though it was leading up to figuring out who La's true identity was, it finally clicked after the flashback scene where Blackiris is hanging out with this strange girl and it turns out to be La. And how the La key from Maria's song gives her the idea for the name and with her singing finally realizing her ability as an Omega.
But the actual large suprise for me was
that Blackiris was actually La's patient all along and that diary she kept was all her notes.
Man, I probably gave to much away on that one. Oh, well. It's your fault if you read the spoilers.
I have to agree with most of what you said.
The only thing I disagree on is that the part about Princess Waltz.
That part you named wasn't a surprise at all.
And the part I named was unexpected, to me.

But everything you said about True Remembrance I agree with.
That is a great KN too.
[WIP] Alex's Problem

NeumanProductions
Regular
Completed: Penpals
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))
Organization: Justice Brothers

#15 Post by NeumanProductions »

Yeah, I said
it was obvious about Chris being a girl.
I know that wasn't the biggest surprise,
But I did have a feeling that Arata was the true prince after the Kenji intro
or something allong those line
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)
You know, I sometimes still do that. :)
This Act 1 portion is what hooked me on VNs, so I like to promote them.
Anything I write I post here Deviant Art