English guide for the original Kakyusei

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
flowerthief
Regular

English guide for the original Kakyusei

#1 Post by flowerthief »

Well I've been writing one. It's a classic ren'ai adventure game, a fairly complex and challenging one, and I was thinking what a shame it is that there has never been so far as I know even a partial attempt to translate it or assist native speakers with playing the game. But I dunno, is there interest in this? I mentioned that I was writing a guide for Kakyusei on a couple other boards and didn't get much of a response. Is there interest in English guides for somewhat retro ren'ai games that never made it into English?
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: English guide for the original Kakyusei

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'm always interested in reading about classic dating-sims :D The page looks good so far!
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

flowerthief
Regular

#3 Post by flowerthief »

Thanks for the reply, Blue. Maybe I'll continue the project but at a low priority since I'm still not sensing much interest.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

*opens up task manager*

*sets priority to critical*

:wink:
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#5 Post by F.I.A »

flowerthief wrote:Is there interest in English guides for somewhat retro ren'ai games that never made it into English?
Nowadays, people prefer wall-texty visual novels over simulation any day. And unfortunately, I have to say that interests for such guides will be even minuscule, especially when they are not even translated. Think Umineko or any of the translated Nitro+ series, then compare them to the reception on the translated Welcome to Pia Carrot!. Of course, considering their timeline, don't expect much discussion over them.
It's a classic ren'ai adventure game, a fairly complex and challenging one, and I was thinking what a shame it is that there has never been so far as I know even a partial attempt to translate it or assist native speakers with playing the game.
There is an incomplete line-translation available in gamefaqs for Nanase-san of Kakyusei 2, but even that is left ignored for years.

Frankly, your effort is admirable, but don't expect much ripples from it.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

flowerthief
Regular

#6 Post by flowerthief »

@Blue Lemma
LOL. Well if you've ever got a question about some part of the game feel free to ask me.

@F.I.A
Yeah I just found out about the Pia Carrot translation a couple weeks ago. That's how long that ripple took to get to me.

Now and then in bishojo gaming circles, tho, you get someone asking, "Hey are there any other games out there like Tokimemo or True Love?" which suggested to me that a portion of gamers out there prefer sims, even old sims, to novels. But perhaps not as many as I thought. I guess wall-textiness really is the wave of the future :)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'm probably just weird, but I would read guidebooks on Nintendo games I never even owned that were in full text (the really old ones!) cover to cover when I was little. So I might be a bad sample subject here :p
- Napoleon Bonaparte

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

Most of the games I liked growing up had complex gameplay. I considered Choose Your Own Adventure books (the generic term is "gamebooks") to be in their own category.

If you're looking for fans who remember 1990s galge like Kakyuusei, Flowerthief, then be sure to post on the Megatokyo forums. A few regulars there know quite a bit about those days.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

flowerthief
Regular

#9 Post by flowerthief »

^ Good idea. Will do.