What's the difference between bishoujo, ren'ai, and dating?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Sai
Winged Hybrid

#31 Post by Sai »

True a FAQ should stay neutral and it seems that is a point that is debatable so perhaps it shouldn't be there.
That post sounds a bit in the other direction.... As someone said earlier though, in Japan they seem to often say ADV instead of game so someone truly wanting to stick to Japanese terminology would say that muaha.
I just don't think it's really relevant to insult those who want to use Japanese wording... It's really up to them. Technically people who prefer subtitles on anime and Japanese films could be labelled that way too if someone felt the inclination. As those people usually feel the original Japanese wording relates to the viewer the original description/intentions better than a dubbed translation. (For the record I don't mind dubs)

"Dating Sims" however is not a translation. So I guess it's up for debate really (and I'm not going to debate it :D ). Opinions seem to differ and thats just the way it is. "Romance Game" I guess would be the translation, I notice Hirameki Int. is using the term "Love Story". It looks like new terminology may be adopted as people see fit since the genre is still new here, who knows.

Shii
Regular

#32 Post by Shii »

Sai wrote:"Dating Sims" however is not a translation.
So?

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#33 Post by Sai »

So, nothing really. :) I was just conveying why some may prefer to use Japanese wording like with subs vs dubs. I don't agree with calling them "Japanese wannabes" as an insult. :?
Accuracy of the various terminology is up for debate I suppose. :D People still debate over what encompasses "Sci-Fi". Unlike Sc-Fi which is everywhere, the genre is new here however. But familiarity lies with Dating Sim and as said if people know what you mean most won't really go beyond that and so the terminology takes on a new form because of that. But I get the impression that because the genre is so new, that everything is still finding its footing so I find it interesting that Hirameki Int. (and possibly others) have decided to go with adopting a different English term. Japan uses many different terms for all the different games in the genre and if the English market grows with diverse games we may adopt a few more too I suppose. :)

Shii
Regular

#34 Post by Shii »

Sai wrote:So, nothing really. :) I was just conveying why some may prefer to use Japanese wording like with subs vs dubs.
Huh? I don't see anyone calling subtitles teroppu or dubs atereko ;)

(yeah, I got what you mean)