Ai Yori Aoshi (game)

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ai Yori Aoshi (game)

#1 Post by PyTom »

Just thought I'd mention that Ai Yori Aoshi is available at Hirameki's store, http://www.akibaotaku.com. I got it, installed it, and have played it for a while. Works find under vmware.

I might write a longer review later, but the short version is that you should expect from this what you get from an episode of the AYA animes. There's no doubt as to which of the girls Kaoru will be winding up with at the end of a game, but you do get some control over the intervening course of the story, who it features, and what happens in the interim.

I have seen both AYA series, various specials, and have all 10 translated volumes of the manga. So I got the interactions between the characters right away. I'm not sure how accessible these games would be to someone who hasn't seen AYA or read the manga, especially since there isn't really anything introducing the characters to people meeting them for the first time.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Ai Yori Aoshi (game)

#2 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I have seen both AYA series, various specials, and have all 10 translated volumes of the manga. So I got the interactions between the characters right away. I'm not sure how accessible these games would be to someone who hasn't seen AYA or read the manga, especially since there isn't really anything introducing the characters to people meeting them for the first time.
Hmmm, that's the huge problem, I was kind of afraid of that. It will make for something like Girlfriend Of Steel then... A kind of a spinoff/alternative episodic thingie...

The one important thing that worries me, as I have no reliable, let alone first hand info is that supposedly this is a no-choices title, is that right?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

.... most of the info *i* have on it is that a lot of people seem to be having trouble installing it from the discs they received.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Mikey >> AYA has choices, as well as mini-games that seem to influence the outcome. These pick the path through the game, and what seem to me to be the ending. The only problem is that all endings I've encountered so far (admittedly, only 3) have Kaoru winding up with Aoi. I don't think it would be an AYA game if Kaoru wound up with one of the other girls.

I think the "another episode" thing is probably the right way to look at it.

Papillion >> Works for me, and I'm running it under Vmware under Linux.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

shaja
Regular

#5 Post by shaja »

No problem with installation or playing it for me, on a standard WinXP-SP2 system.

The only thing about it that seems odd to me on the technical level is that the voice files don't seem to have been all normalized to the same level. So, there's loud voices and quiet voices.